* Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-21 13:14 morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-21 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

The superscript in expressions like $R^N$ seems to be typeset with a bigger font
size in ConTeXt than in LaTeX. Is it the wanted behaviour? From the typographic
point of view, which is the best of the two renderings?

Thanks for your advice,

Morgan

* Re: Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-21 18:04 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-01-21 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The superscript in expressions like $R^N$ seems to be typeset with a bigger font
> size in ConTeXt than in LaTeX. Is it the wanted behaviour? From the typographic
> point of view, which is the best of the two renderings?
>
> Thanks for your advice,

That should not happen. I cannot see the different from my eyes. Here is
my example. In both cases, bodyfont is 10pt, and scriptsize is 7pt. Do you
see the differece?

ConTeXT:

\setupbodyfont[10pt]
\starttext $R^N$ \stoptext

LaTeX:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\begin{document}
   $R^N$
\end{document}

* Re: Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-21 23:57   ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-21 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The superscript in expressions like $R^N$ seems to be typeset with a bigger
> font
> > size in ConTeXt than in LaTeX. Is it the wanted behaviour? From the
> typographic
> > point of view, which is the best of the two renderings?
> >
> > Thanks for your advice,
>
> That should not happen. I cannot see the different from my eyes. Here is
> my example. In both cases, bodyfont is 10pt, and scriptsize is 7pt. Do you
> see the differece?
>
> ConTeXT:
>
> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
> \starttext $R^N$ \stoptext
>

> LaTeX:
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \begin{document}
>    $R^N$
> \end{document}

As far as my eyes can see, the results are the same with 10pt and 11pt as
document text size, but not with 12pt. Your two examples in 12pt look different
to me. Am I wrong?

> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-22  0:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-22  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:

> As far as my eyes can see, the results are the same with 10pt and 11pt as
> document text size, but not with 12pt. Your two examples in 12pt look different
> to me. Am I wrong?

context fonts sizes are not modelled after latex so i can imagine such
differences to exist

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-22  5:05     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-01-22  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:

> Selon Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The superscript in expressions like $R^N$ seems to be typeset with a bigger
>> font
>>> size in ConTeXt than in LaTeX. Is it the wanted behaviour? From the
>> typographic
>>> point of view, which is the best of the two renderings?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice,
>>
>> That should not happen. I cannot see the different from my eyes. Here is
>> my example. In both cases, bodyfont is 10pt, and scriptsize is 7pt. Do you
>> see the differece?
>>
>> ConTeXT:
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
>> \starttext $R^N$ \stoptext
>>

>> LaTeX:
>>
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \begin{document}
>>    $R^N$
>> \end{document}
>>

> As far as my eyes can see, the results are the same with 10pt and 11pt as
> document text size, but not with 12pt. Your two examples in 12pt look different
> to me. Am I wrong?

In the latex example, you need to change the document class to article, if
you want 12pt fonts. To my eye, there is no difference between the two.
But pdffonts tells me that latex is using LM Math Italic 8pt while ConTeXt
is using LM Math Italic 9pt. This is not conclusive evidence since the
fonts could be scaled.

In any case, if you want to change ConTeXt's defaults for 12pt, you can
redefine the following

\unprotect
\definebodyfontenvironment
   [\!!twelvepoint]
   [        \s!text=\!!twelvepoint,
          \s!script=\!!ninepoint,
    \s!scriptscript=\!!sevenpoint,
               \c!x=\!!tenpoint,
              \c!xx=\!!eightpoint,
             \c!big=\!!fourteenpointfour,
           \c!small=\!!tenpoint]
\protect

This is just copied from font-ini.tex. You can use 12pt, 11pt etc rather
than the predefined macros if you want.

Aditya

* Re: Superscript text size
@ 2008-01-22  9:20       ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
>
> > Selon Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> bigger
> >> font
> >> typographic

> >> That should not happen. I cannot see the different from my eyes. Here is
> >> my example. In both cases, bodyfont is 10pt, and scriptsize is 7pt. Do you
> >> see the differece?
> >>
> >> ConTeXT:
> >>
> >> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
> >> \starttext $R^N$ \stoptext
> >>

> >> LaTeX:
> >>
> >> \documentclass{minimal}
> >> \usepackage{lmodern}
> >> \begin{document}
> >>    $R^N$
> >> \end{document}
> >>

> > As far as my eyes can see, the results are the same with 10pt and 11pt as
> > document text size, but not with 12pt. Your two examples in 12pt look
> different
> > to me. Am I wrong?
>
> In the latex example, you need to change the document class to article, if
> you want 12pt fonts. To my eye, there is no difference between the two.
> But pdffonts tells me that latex is using LM Math Italic 8pt while ConTeXt
> is using LM Math Italic 9pt. This is not conclusive evidence since the
> fonts could be scaled.

Yes, it seemed to me that the font was a bit larger in ConTeXt than in LaTeX, so
9pt vs 8pt seems coherent with that feeling. Of course, I had to zoom to see a
real difference...

> In any case, if you want to change ConTeXt's defaults for 12pt, you can
> redefine the following
>
> \unprotect
> \definebodyfontenvironment
>    [\!!twelvepoint]
>    [        \s!text=\!!twelvepoint,
>           \s!script=\!!ninepoint,
>     \s!scriptscript=\!!sevenpoint,
>                \c!x=\!!tenpoint,
>               \c!xx=\!!eightpoint,
>              \c!big=\!!fourteenpointfour,
>            \c!small=\!!tenpoint]
> \protect
>
> This is just copied from font-ini.tex. You can use 12pt, 11pt etc rather
> than the predefined macros if you want.

Thank you for this solution. I'll try it if I don't get used to the ConTeXt
size.