* mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 17:33 Jean Magnan de Bornier
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

Having installed the minimal distro from
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/ on my linux box (in my home directory)
I added some own modules in
/home/jean/lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/extra an tried
various texhash and mktexlsr:

mktexlsr lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
texhash lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/

But these are still not found and I had to specify the complete path of
the modules!
This seems specific to the minimals
--
Jean

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 17:52 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But these are still not found and I had to specify the complete path of
> the modules!

  Have you run luatools --generate?  Mark IV does not use kpathsea, so
mktexlsr would not be significant here.

	Arthur

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 19:03   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-22 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 22 janvier à 18:52:11 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> écrit notamment:

|   Have you run luatools --generate?  Mark IV does not use kpathsea, so
| mktexlsr would not be significant here.

Thanks Arthur

1/ Do you mean luatools --generate should be run whenever you add something
to the distro? I ran it on install, but now when I try again:

20:01 jean@boldair /home/jean/lua % luatools --generate

LuaTools | skipping /texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
LuaTools | skipping /texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 0.013 seconds

2/ The problem with additional module is that pdftex or xetex don't find
them anymore than luatex does.
--
Jean

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 19:11     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1/ Do you mean luatools --generate should be run whenever you add something
> to the distro?

  Yes.  It's the equivalent to mktexlsr for Mark IV.

>                I ran it on install, but now when I try again:
>
> 20:01 jean@boldair /home/jean/lua % luatools --generate
>
> LuaTools | skipping /texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
> LuaTools | skipping /texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> LuaTools |
> LuaTools | runtime: 0.013 seconds

  This looks like TEXMFCNF is incorrectly set.  Anyway, it means that
the luatools run was unsuccessful (it generated cache data for the
non-existing texmf trees /texmf-local and /texmf).

> 2/ The problem with additional module is that pdftex or xetex don't find
> them anymore than luatex does.

  Then I don't know.  But check TEXMFCNF and run again.

	Arthur

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 19:14 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 22, 2008 6:33 PM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having installed the minimal distro from
> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/ on my linux box (in my home directory)
> I added some own modules in
> /home/jean/lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/extra an tried
> various texhash and mktexlsr:
>
> mktexlsr lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
> texhash lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
>
> But these are still not found and I had to specify the complete path of
> the modules!
> This seems specific to the minimals

Did you run
   . setuptex
?

Mojca

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 20:36   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-22 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 22 janvier à 20:14:42 "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| Did you run
|    . setuptex
| ?

I had not when first posting, but now I did, then mktexlsr and nothing
changed with my added modules.
--
Jean

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 22:04     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-01-22 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

> Le 22 janvier à 20:14:42 "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> écrit notamment:
>
> | Did you run
> |    . setuptex
> | ?
>
> I had not when first posting, but now I did, then mktexlsr and nothing
> changed with my added modules.

Actually, depends on your shell. In some shells, you will have to run
source setuptex.

Aditya

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-22 22:24       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-22 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Actually, depends on your shell. In some shells, you will have to run
> source setuptex.

  Or even ". ./setuptex", actually.  Anyway, you can check that it has
correctly been sourced by checking that CTXMINIMAL is set (echo $CTXMINIMAL).

	Arthur

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23  0:43 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2008-01-23  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jean,

That happened to me once too. I change the cases of the file names and
module
names, say from like MyModule to mymodule, and somehow pdftex could find it.
don't know whether it could be any useful to change your module's name to
lower
case.

On Jan 23, 2008 1:33 AM, Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having installed the minimal distro from
> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/ on my linux box (in my home directory)
> I added some own modules in
> /home/jean/lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/extra an tried
> various texhash and mktexlsr:
>
> mktexlsr lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
> texhash lua/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
>
> But these are still not found and I had to specify the complete path of
> the modules!
> This seems specific to the minimals
> --
> Jean

Best Regards
Chen

         Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
        No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
            tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                              | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23  6:11         ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-23  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 22 janvier à 23:24:31 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> écrit notamment:

| > Actually, depends on your shell. In some shells, you will have to run
| > source setuptex.
>
|   Or even ". ./setuptex", actually.  Anyway, you can check that it has
| correctly been sourced by checking that CTXMINIMAL is set (echo $CTXMINIMAL).
>
| 	Arthur

Shell problem actually! I use zsh, and ". setuptex" produces this:
.: aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type: setuptex

while ". ./setuptex" or just "./setuptex" produces:
Setting "/home/jean/lua/context/tex" as TEXROOT.
./setuptex:149: unmatched "

and "echo $CTXMINIMAL" produces nothing.

If I switch to bash and ". setuptex" : "echo $CTXMINIMAL" says "yes", but
after a mktexlsr or texhash my module is still not found :-(

--
Jean

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 10:43               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-01-23 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>>> ./setuptex:149: unmatched "
>>
>> What does that mean? Does setuptex contain other bugs or is it only a
>> shell problem?
>
>  Yes, this is a bug.  I can't reproduce it here, maybe we should take
> it offline.

I can reproduce it here. In zsh, both . ./setuptex and source setuptex
give this error message.

Aditya

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 10:53           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 23, 2008 7:11 AM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Le 22 janvier à 23:24:31 Arthur Reutenauer écrit notamment:
>
> | > Actually, depends on your shell. In some shells, you will have to run
> | > source setuptex.
> >
> |   Or even ". ./setuptex", actually.  Anyway, you can check that it has
> | correctly been sourced by checking that CTXMINIMAL is set (echo $CTXMINIMAL).
> >
> |       Arthur
>
> Shell problem actually! I use zsh, and ". setuptex" produces this:
> .: aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type: setuptex
>
> while ". ./setuptex" or just "./setuptex" produces:
> Setting "/home/jean/lua/context/tex" as TEXROOT.

Yes, but the variables are set only locally then. Perhaps I will try
to detect that and warn the user.
What about
   source setuptex
?

Another alternative is to set these variables in the file where you
initialize the shell.

> ./setuptex:149: unmatched "

What does that mean? Does setuptex contain other bugs or is it only a
shell problem?

> If I switch to bash and ". setuptex" : "echo $CTXMINIMAL" says "yes", but
> after a mktexlsr or texhash my module is still not found :-(

Upercase or lowercase names?

Mojca

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 11:38             ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> ./setuptex:149: unmatched "
>
> What does that mean? Does setuptex contain other bugs or is it only a
> shell problem?

  Yes, this is a bug.  I can't reproduce it here, maybe we should take
it offline.

	Arthur

* Re: shell and luatex; was:  mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 11:51             ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-23 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 23 janvier à 11:53:33 "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| > |   Or even ". ./setuptex", actually.  Anyway, you can check that it has
| > | correctly been sourced by checking that CTXMINIMAL is set (echo $CTXMINIMAL).
| > >
| > |       Arthur
| >
| > Shell problem actually! I use zsh, and ". setuptex" produces this:
| > .: aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type: setuptex
| >
| > while ". ./setuptex" or just "./setuptex" produces:
| > Setting "/home/jean/lua/context/tex" as TEXROOT.
>
| Yes, but the variables are set only locally then. Perhaps I will try
| to detect that and warn the user.
| What about
|    source setuptex
| ?

Same result as with ./setuptex

| Another alternative is to set these variables in the file where you
| initialize the shell.
>
| > ./setuptex:149: unmatched "
>
| What does that mean? Does setuptex contain other bugs or is it only a
| shell problem?

I don't know; there is an even number of "s...

| > If I switch to bash and ". setuptex" : "echo $CTXMINIMAL" says "yes", but
| > after a mktexlsr or texhash my module is still not found :-(
>
| Upercase or lowercase names?

lowercase only; the name is t-lettregreqam.tex

Another strange thing:

While making various tries with bash, and after running ". setuptex", I
issue "texexec --luatex ellaprxth.tex" (a command which works correctly under
zsh), and:

jean@boldair ~/Courrier $ texexec --luatex ellaprxth.tex
TeXExec | processing document 'ellaprxth.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file ellaprxth.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 976
TeXExec | tex engine: luatex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en

LuaTools | using format name ///home/jean/lua/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c7c52d9874e699048b02283f57cde698/formats/cont-en.fmt
LuaTools | no luc/lua with name ///home/jean/lua/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/c7c52d9874e699048b02283f57cde698/formats/cont-en
LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 0.053 seconds
TeXUtil | parsing file ellaprxth.tui
TeXUtil | check loading of file 'ellaprxth', begin/end problem
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 0
TeXUtil | expansions: 0
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 2
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | runtime: 0.463993

Is the installation with minimals linked to a shell?? This is strange
since for the installation I remember using "sh first-setup.sh" (ie not
zsh)

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 11:52                 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-01-23 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> What does that mean? Does setuptex contain other bugs or is it only a
>>> shell problem?
>>  Yes, this is a bug.  I can't reproduce it here, maybe we should take
>> it offline.
>
> I can reproduce it here. In zsh, both . ./setuptex and source setuptex
> give this error message.

Some problem with filename space quoting? my zsh (traditional linux fs)
has no problem with it.

* Re: shell and luatex; was:  mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 12:39               ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't know; there is an even number of "s...

  As Taco said, this looks some file names may have been incorrectly
escaped, but I don't see any suspicious name in your case.

> Is the installation with minimals linked to a shell??

  Of course not; this is some other bug.

@ 2008-01-23 18:19                 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-01-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 23 janvier à 13:39:57 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> écrit notamment:

| > I don't know; there is an even number of "s...
>
|   As Taco said, this looks some file names may have been incorrectly
| escaped, but I don't see any suspicious name in your case.
>
| > Is the installation with minimals linked to a shell??
>
|   Of course not; this is some other bug.

Here is some more astonishment (for me at least): I decided to make a minimal
installation using bash instead of my default shell zsh, in another
location of my home dir. Everything goes well, except that my module in
tex/texmf-extra, after mktexlsr, is still not found.

And this installation fails if I try to use it *under zsh*, which is
symmetric to what I described before.

--
Jean

* Re: shell and luatex; was:  mktexlsr in minimals
@ 2008-01-23 19:16                   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Here is some more astonishment (for me at least): <snip>

  You seem to have *really* weird problems :-)  I would like to try and
reproduce them, but you have to describe precisely each steps of your
procedure (in particular, how do you run the other shell program, after
installing the minimals using a different shell?).  Again, we can maybe
take this offline, maybe even use instant messenging because it seems
better suited.

	Arthur

* Declare new math operators
@ 2008-01-26 14:30       ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way in ConTeXt to define new math operators as with
\DeclareMathOperators of AMSlatex?

Thanks for your answers,

Morgan

* Re: Declare new math operators
@ 2008-01-26 16:01         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-01-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way in ConTeXt to define new math operators as with
> \DeclareMathOperators of AMSlatex?

If I understand correctly, you want to use this command:

   \definemathcommand [det] [limop] {\mfunction{det}}

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Declare new math operators
@ 2008-01-26 16:29           ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

> morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way in ConTeXt to define new math operators as with
> > \DeclareMathOperators of AMSlatex?
>
> If I understand correctly, you want to use this command:
>
>    \definemathcommand [det] [limop] {\mfunction{det}}
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Yes, precisely. Thank you!
And sorry I didn't see the page on the wiki earlier.

> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Bug in indenting after formula
@ 2008-01-27 13:21           ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that a paragraph after a formula never gets indented, even with the
option \setupindenting[yes,medium]. Is it a feature or a bug? Look at the
following example:

\setupindenting[yes,medium]
\starttext
Indented OK
\startformula
  x = 0.
\stopformula

Not indented = bug?

Indented OK
\stoptext

Thanks for your answers,
Morgan

* Re: Bug in indenting after formula
@ 2008-01-27 13:39             ` rordorf
From: rordorf @ 2008-01-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

We had similar problems with indenting after floats (figures and
tables) and after headings. Paragraphs after these kind of objects
seem to refuse indenting. We tried several options including "always"
or "next" with the \setupindenting and \indenting commands. Is there
any possibility to indent paragraphs after floats, headings and
equations?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Dietrich Rordorf
Business Development
MDPI Publishing

--
MDPI Center
Matthaeusstrasse 11

E-Mail: rordorf@mdpi.org
Tel: +41 76 561 41 83 (mobile)
Tel: +41 61 683 77 34 (office)
Fax: +41 61 302 89 18

Quoting morgan.brassel@free.fr:

@ 2008-01-27 13:51               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-01-27 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

rordorf@mdpi.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had similar problems with indenting after floats (figures and
> tables) and after headings. Paragraphs after these kind of objects
> seem to refuse indenting. We tried several options including "always"
> or "next" with the \setupindenting and \indenting commands. Is there
> any possibility to indent paragraphs after floats, headings and
> equations?

The most important of the block commands accept an indentnext key,
for example:

   \setuptyping [indentnext=yes]
   \setupitemize [each] [indentnext=yes]
   \setupfloats [table] [indentnext=yes]
   \setupformulas [indentnext=yes]
   \setuphead [section] [indentnext=yes]

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bug in indenting after formula
@ 2008-01-27 14:04                 ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

> rordorf@mdpi.org wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We had similar problems with indenting after floats (figures and
> > tables) and after headings. Paragraphs after these kind of objects
> > seem to refuse indenting. We tried several options including "always"
> > or "next" with the \setupindenting and \indenting commands. Is there
> > any possibility to indent paragraphs after floats, headings and
> > equations?
>
> The most important of the block commands accept an indentnext key,
> for example:
>
>    \setuptyping [indentnext=yes]
>    \setupitemize [each] [indentnext=yes]
>    \setupfloats [table] [indentnext=yes]
>    \setupformulas [indentnext=yes]
>    \setuphead [section] [indentnext=yes]
>

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Thank you. In this case, it would be great to have an option in \setupindenting
that enables all of these in one time. By the way, shouldn't it be the role of
the 'always' option? It would make sense...

Best regards,
Morgan