* Boxed items don't like sidefloats
@ 2007-07-31 11:14 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-31 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello all,

here's a test document:

================

\newbox\testbox

\starttext

\setbox\testbox\vbox{%
\placefigure[outer,none,fit]{}{%
  \framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}%
}%

\startitemize
\item some test
\item \input knuth
\item \input tufte
\stopitemize
}

\box\testbox

\page

\setbox\testbox\vbox{%
\placefigure[outer,none,fit]{}{%
  \framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}%
}%

\startitemize
\item some test
\item \input knuth
\item \input tufte
\stopitemize
}

\box\testbox
\stoptext
============

As you may notice, items think the placefigure refers to all
of them, so that if a particular item is bigger than the
figure height, it will wrap correctly around the
(inexistent) box, otherwise it will just side it.

Interesting, the same thing does *not* happen when not going
through a box, but typesetting things directly in the page.
However, for my application I need to typeset the sidefloat
and the itemization in a box, so I hit the bug ...

Suggestions?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Boxed items don't like sidefloats
@ 2007-07-31 13:34 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-31 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:14:27 +0200
Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> here's a test document:

[test document]

> As you may notice, items think the placefigure refers to all
> of them, so that if a particular item is bigger than the
> figure height, it will wrap correctly around the
> (inexistent) box, otherwise it will just side it.
>
> Interesting, the same thing does *not* happen when not going
> through a box, but typesetting things directly in the page.
> However, for my application I need to typeset the sidefloat
> and the itemization in a box, so I hit the bug ...
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Hi Giuseppe,

you can use ConTeXt's stream mechanism.

\usemodule[streams]
\definestreamlayer[giuseppe][width=\textwidth]

\newbox\giuseppe

\starttext

\startstreamlayer[giuseppe]
\placefigure
  [outer,none,fit]
  {}
  {\framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}}

\startitemize
\item some test
\item \input knuth
\item \input tufte
\stopitemize
\stopstreamlayer

\vbox{\placestreamlayer[giuseppe]}

\page

\startstreamlayer[giuseppe]
\placefigure
  [outer,none,fit]
  {}
  {\framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}}

\startitemize
\item some test
\item \input knuth
\item \input tufte
\stopitemize
\stopstreamlayer

\vbox{\placestreamlayer[giuseppe]}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Boxed items don't like sidefloats
@ 2007-07-31 16:51   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-31 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> you can use ConTeXt's stream mechanism.

> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]

> \usemodule[streams]
> \definestreamlayer[giuseppe][width=\textwidth]

> \newbox\giuseppe

> \starttext

> \startstreamlayer[giuseppe]
> \placefigure
>   [outer,none,fit]
>   {}
>   {\framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}}

> \startitemize
> \item some test
> \item \input knuth
> \item \input tufte
> \stopitemize
> \stopstreamlayer

> \vbox{\placestreamlayer[giuseppe]}

> \stoptext

Ah, excellent, it works perfectly, thanks a lot! Of course,
I'm still curious about the reason why a standard vbox
wouldn't do it ...

--

@ 2007-07-31 17:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-07-31 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Tuesday, July 31, 2007 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> you can use ConTeXt's stream mechanism.
>
>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
>> \usemodule[streams]
>> \definestreamlayer[giuseppe][width=\textwidth]
>
>> \newbox\giuseppe
>
>> \starttext
>
>> \startstreamlayer[giuseppe]
>> \placefigure
>>   [outer,none,fit]
>>   {}
>>   {\framed[width=.2\hsize,height=.2\hsize,offset=none]{}}
>
>> \startitemize
>> \item some test
>> \item \input knuth
>> \item \input tufte
>> \stopitemize
>> \stopstreamlayer
>
>> \vbox{\placestreamlayer[giuseppe]}
>
>> \stoptext
>
> Ah, excellent, it works perfectly, thanks a lot! Of course,
> I'm still curious about the reason why a standard vbox
> wouldn't do it ...

sidefloats hook into the output routine and that does ot work in a box;
streams intercept the page stream (nasty but neat); expect more of that
kind of stuff

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-07-31 20:30   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-31 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> you can use ConTeXt's stream mechanism.

> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]

> \usemodule[streams]
> \definestreamlayer[giuseppe][width=\textwidth]

I've noticed that specifying width= in the streamlayer
definition is not enough to force the stream width. If the
width is different from the textwidth, I have to use
something like

\startsetups streamlayer:giuseppe:settings
  \overloadtextwidth\gbwidth
\stopsetups

I would have expected

\definestreamlayer[giuseppe][width=\gbwidth]

to handle this automatically though.

--

@ 2007-07-31 20:35       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-31 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>
>> Ah, excellent, it works perfectly, thanks a lot! Of course,
>> I'm still curious about the reason why a standard vbox
>> wouldn't do it ...

> sidefloats hook into the output routine and that does ot work in a box;

Makes sense.

> streams intercept the page stream (nasty but neat); expect more of that
> kind of stuff

You know, seeing how streams work made me think about an
extension I was considering for Alpeh: \pageboxnumber, being
255 by default but which could be changed at runtime,
choosing which box was used to build the MVL. I originally
thought about it because my mathematically aesthetical sense
complained that box 255 had to be used in e-TeX and
Omega/Aleph as well (the last box number in each system made
more sense), but now that I see your streams idea I think it
would have been a useful addition.

(Oh yes, I should really get back to Aleph. I see that
luatex builds on that too. I must say that I'm glad to see
that the project has been taken over when I disappeared
without a trace :P)

--

@ 2007-08-01 12:24         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Tuesday, July 31, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>> Ah, excellent, it works perfectly, thanks a lot! Of course,
>>> I'm still curious about the reason why a standard vbox
>>> wouldn't do it ...
>
>> sidefloats hook into the output routine and that does ot work in a box;
>
> Makes sense.
>
>> streams intercept the page stream (nasty but neat); expect more of that
>> kind of stuff
>
> You know, seeing how streams work made me think about an
> extension I was considering for Alpeh: \pageboxnumber, being
> 255 by default but which could be changed at runtime,
> choosing which box was used to build the MVL. I originally
> thought about it because my mathematically aesthetical sense
> complained that box 255 had to be used in e-TeX and
> Omega/Aleph as well (the last box number in each system made
> more sense), but now that I see your streams idea I think it
> would have been a useful addition.

this will become configurable in luatex

> (Oh yes, I should really get back to Aleph. I see that
> luatex builds on that too. I must say that I'm glad to see
> that the project has been taken over when I disappeared
> without a trace :P)

well, luatex renders aleph kind of obsolete -)

also, luatex has pdf output (also for aleph stuff)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-08-01 18:34           ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-08-01 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>> You know, seeing how streams work made me think about an
>> extension I was considering for Alpeh: \pageboxnumber, being
>> 255 by default but which could be changed at runtime,
>> choosing which box was used to build the MVL. I originally
>> thought about it because my mathematically aesthetical sense
>> complained that box 255 had to be used in e-TeX and
>> Omega/Aleph as well (the last box number in each system made
>> more sense), but now that I see your streams idea I think it
>> would have been a useful addition.

> this will become configurable in luatex

Ah, good to know.

>> (Oh yes, I should really get back to Aleph. I see that
>> luatex builds on that too. I must say that I'm glad to see
>> that the project has been taken over when I disappeared
>> without a trace :P)

> well, luatex renders aleph kind of obsolete -)

Yeah, I got that impression :)

> also, luatex has pdf output (also for aleph stuff)

This is a very good thing. I have big hopes up for it. Also,
as part of my “getting back into the loop”, do you think
there's some where/some how I can give a hand?

--

@ 2007-08-01 20:06             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-01 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> This is a very good thing. I have big hopes up for it. Also,
> as part of my �getting back into the loop�, do you think
> there's some where/some how I can give a hand?

well, mplib ... apart from going megapost (your speciality) 3d will be
added and since you're the mathemagician who can think in 6 dimensions ...

mplib will be linked into luatex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-08-02 13:27               ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-08-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>> This is a very good thing. I have big hopes up for it. Also,
>> as part of my ?getting back into the loop?, do you think
>> there's some where/some how I can give a hand?

> well, mplib ... apart from going megapost (your speciality) 3d will be
> added and since you're the mathemagician who can think in 6 dimensions ...

Ah, this is something I can more probably involve my
university with. While my advisor doesn't care much about
TeX per se, numerical things are much more of its taste.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta