From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info>
Subject: Re: LMTX: different output if dots are used in the file name
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:34:32 +0200	[thread overview]

On 7/7/2021 10:13 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:

> But maybe Hans can chime in and clarify.
I have to check it but syffixes and tex are kind of special. It has
nothing to do with operating systems (sorry for those who love to bash
windows for it). Personally I always use a suffix and don't look into
files without them. (On VMS we even had version numbers with the name,
which was also nice.) That said:

- tex needs to make a log file and an output file (.log, .pdf and maybe
more like .tuc)

- so, it determines a jobname, which is the input file with the suffix
removed

- actually it adds a suffix .tex when there is none and then looks for
that file

- in that respect, .10 is a suffix as is .foo or .pointless

- in tds/kpse/web2c there were flags for 'multiple suffixes' (which of
course also introduces compatibility issues)

- as a side note: filenames are case sensitive unless the operating
system makes them insensitive; this has long been yet another reason for
bashing windows, but it looks like kpse/web2c now decided it's a good
idea so there's also a flag (i think itis true by default) that enables
insentivity (context always tried to be insensitive and mkiv/lmtx
definitely is)

Now, to the issue of names like 10.11.12.13 ... here .13 is the suffix,
like it or not, so in principle we then get

10.11.12.log
10.11.12.tuc
10.11.12.pdf

if not then indeed there is some issue. Now, although it's quite some
work, one can think of seeing .13 as part of the filename, in which case
the lookupe becomes

10.11.12.13.tex

but we can optionally first check for 10.11.12.13 ... however, because
there are many possibel suffixes (.tex being one of them) we then get

10.11.12.13.log
10.11.12.13.tuc
10.11.12.13.pdf

but in the case of

10.11.12.13.tex

we get

10.11.12.13.tex.log
10.11.12.13.tex.tuc
10.11.12.13.tex.pdf

because there is no way to determine any longer that .tex is special
(one can argue that .mk* also qualifies but what about .xml and all
variants on that).

Al this means that personally I always stick to (1) lowercase filenames
(2) with no spaces (3) only a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and - (4) always with a
suffix ... it never gives issues. (If you ever had to deal with third
party files, especially graphics made by third parties, you'd know that
most problems come from bad filenames where for instance a single space
or multiple spaces and/or funny mixes in case get unnoticed.)

Hans