* missing metapost graphics
@ 2009-10-27 12:02 Matěj  Týč
From: Matěj  Týč @ 2009-10-27 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
when I try to use MP code in my file, I follow the instructions, but
when I compile the file, there is no result whatsoever.
Text parts of the document are OK, but there is no trace of the image
that should be there.

The following is taken directly from metafun manual (page 9) as the
minimal ConTeXt example:

\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
 fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
Could you comment on that?

Regards,
Matej

* Re: missing metapost graphics
@ 2009-10-27 12:58 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-27 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Matěj  Týč <matej.tyc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> when I try to use MP code in my file, I follow the instructions, but
> when I compile the file, there is no result whatsoever.
> Text parts of the document are OK, but there is no trace of the image
> that should be there.
>
> The following is taken directly from metafun manual (page 9) as the
> minimal ConTeXt example:
>
> \starttext
> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
>  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
> \stoptext
>
> Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
> Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
> Could you comment on that?

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
 fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

No problem here with latest minimals and
$>texexec test.tex
and
$>context  test.tex

--
luigi

* Re: missing metapost graphics
@ 2009-10-27 14:28   ` Matěj  Týč
From: Matěj  Týč @ 2009-10-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/10/27 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Matěj  Týč <matej.tyc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> when I try to use MP code in my file, I follow the instructions, but
>> when I compile the file, there is no result whatsoever.
>> Text parts of the document are OK, but there is no trace of the image
>> that should be there.
>>
>> The following is taken directly from metafun manual (page 9) as the
>> minimal ConTeXt example:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
>>  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
>> \stopuseMPgraphic
>> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
>> Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
>> Could you comment on that?
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \starttext
> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
>  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
> \stoptext
>

> No problem here with latest minimals and
> $>texexec test.tex
> and
> $>context  test.tex

Thank you for your reply,
1. I have completely missed that I have to run 'context' after
texexec. I actually have read only about running texexec.
Moreover the "contex online" ( http://live.contextgarden.net/ ) site
most likely doesn't do that either since they produce empty PDFs if
you paste those lines in the form.

2. I have TeXLive installed and when I run 'context', I get a
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
sortof error and exit code 1.
Any suggestions on what can be wrong?

@ 2009-10-27 14:33     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Matěj  Týč <matej.tyc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/27 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Matěj  Týč <matej.tyc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> when I try to use MP code in my file, I follow the instructions, but
>>> when I compile the file, there is no result whatsoever.
>>> Text parts of the document are OK, but there is no trace of the image
>>> that should be there.
>>>
>>> The following is taken directly from metafun manual (page 9) as the
>>> minimal ConTeXt example:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
>>>  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
>>> \stopuseMPgraphic
>>> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
>>> Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
>>> Could you comment on that?
>>
>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>> \starttext
>> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
>>  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
>> \stopuseMPgraphic
>> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
>> \stoptext
>>

>> No problem here with latest minimals and
>> $>texexec test.tex
>> and
>> $>context  test.tex
>>

> Thank you for your reply,
> 1. I have completely missed that I have to run 'context' after
> texexec.
No no no -- sorry .
texexec is context mkii,
context is context mkiv,
and I'm using minimals, not textlive .

So I'm saying that there are no problems with
latest minimals, context mkii and with context mkiv too.

I suggest to you to install minimals asap,
see
wiki.contextgarden.net

--
luigi

* Re: missing metapost graphics
@ 2009-10-27 14:45 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Matěj  Týč wrote:

> Hello,
> when I try to use MP code in my file, I follow the instructions, but
> when I compile the file, there is no result whatsoever.
> Text parts of the document are OK, but there is no trace of the image
> that should be there.
>
> The following is taken directly from metafun manual (page 9) as the
> minimal ConTeXt example:
>
> \starttext
> \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
> fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \useMPgraphic{dummy}
> \stoptext
>
> Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
> Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
> Could you comment on that?

This is because, by default, write18 is disabled in texlive. You can
either enable it (see the wiki for details) or add

\runMPgraphicsfalse

on top of your file.

Aditya

* Re: missing metapost graphics
@ 2009-10-27 18:01   ` Matěj Týč
From: Matěj Týč @ 2009-10-27 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > \starttext
> > \startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
> > fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red ;
> > \stopuseMPgraphic
> > \useMPgraphic{dummy}
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Well, I get nothing on my setup as well as if I use the online compiler.
> > Therefore I assume that something must be wrong.
> > Could you comment on that?
>
> This is because, by default, write18 is disabled in texlive. You can
> either enable it (see the wiki for details) or add
>
> \runMPgraphicsfalse
>
> on top of your file.

Thank you, Aditya, that was it.
I have added 'mpost' to 'shell_escape_commands' in texmf.conf file.
If it is possible, I would appreciate a warning that a shell command has
not been escaped.
I had no clue what might gone wrong.

And last but not least, do you think that metapost can be a security
threat? Because if not, I will write to TeXLive packagers to allow
escaping of the 'mpost' command.
Regards,
Matej