* General suggestion: Unit tests for ConText
@ 2011-07-18 17:51 Peter Schorsch
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Schorsch @ 2011-07-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

during my work with context I wrote a bunch of fewliners mainly to test
how to do things. When there change from mkii to mkiv occured many of
my mini-tests failed and later with the growing of mkiv restartet to
work - some just without adaption.. some with some adjustment to a new
syntax.

I realize that they have the same functionality like unit-tests -
just instead of comparing classes and variables - a pdf-output is
visually compared.

So I like to suggest to introduce unit tests for context. It would

	a) increase the quality of context as it makes the
	testing easier for the developer

	b) it also would be a great source of minihowtos for learning
	context.

Before I write my technical ideas about this I would like to know what
are you thinking about this idea?

* Re: General suggestion: Unit tests for ConText
@ 2011-07-18 18:03 ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-07-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Peter,

Am Montag, den 18.07.2011, 19:51 +0200 schrieb Peter Schorsch:

[…]

> I realize that they have the same functionality like unit-tests -
> just instead of comparing classes and variables - a pdf-output is
> visually compared.
>
> So I like to suggest to introduce unit tests for context. It would
>
> 	a) increase the quality of context as it makes the
> 	testing easier for the developer
>
> 	b) it also would be a great source of minihowtos for learning
> 	context.
>
> Before I write my technical ideas about this I would like to know what
> are you thinking about this idea?

not being a developer I like that idea very much.

Could the PDF output be converted to a picture and some routine be used
to determine a difference between the template picture and the created
one?

Thanks,

Paul

* Re: General suggestion: Unit tests for ConText
@ 2011-07-18 23:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-18 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-7-2011 7:51, Peter Schorsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during my work with context I wrote a bunch of fewliners mainly to test
> how to do things. When there change from mkii to mkiv occured many of
> my mini-tests failed and later with the growing of mkiv restartet to
> work - some just without adaption.. some with some adjustment to a new
> syntax.
>
> I realize that they have the same functionality like unit-tests -
> just instead of comparing classes and variables - a pdf-output is
> visually compared.
>
> So I like to suggest to introduce unit tests for context. It would
>
> 	a) increase the quality of context as it makes the
> 	testing easier for the developer
>
> 	b) it also would be a great source of minihowtos for learning
> 	context.
>
> Before I write my technical ideas about this I would like to know what
> are you thinking about this idea?

fyi: there is an archive with a bunch of tests (mostly mine but I
occasionally add -adapted- samples from the list):

http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/cont-tst.7z

Quite some of these can be used for testing, some can also serve as
examples of usage. I have a script that can process them and keep track
of changes at a rough pixel level but simply have no time to keep up
with that.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-07-19 10:28 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/18 Peter Schorsch <tralalas@freenet.de>

> during my work with context I wrote a bunch of fewliners mainly to test
> how to do things. When there change from mkii to mkiv occured many of
> my mini-tests failed and later with the growing of mkiv restartet to
> work - some just without adaption.. some with some adjustment to a new
> syntax.
>
> I realize that they have the same functionality like unit-tests -
> just instead of comparing classes and variables - a pdf-output is
> visually compared.
>
> So I like to suggest to introduce unit tests for context. It would
>
>        a) increase the quality of context as it makes the
>        testing easier for the developer
>
>        b) it also would be a great source of minihowtos for learning
>        context.
>
> Before I write my technical ideas about this I would like to know what
> are you thinking about this idea?

I think it is a great idea.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: General suggestion: Unit tests for ConText
@ 2011-07-19 10:30   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)