* Re: markdown
       [not found] <mailman.2332.1311677701.4231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-07-26 12:37 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2011-07-26 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm curious, what is "markdown" and why one ever needs to print it? ;)

--
Best Regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Windows minimals installer
       [not found] <mailman.2332.1311677701.4231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-07-26 12:38 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2011-07-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

I just noticed that --extras tag was replaced with  --modules. This
leads to changes in my Windows installer code.

BTW, does anyone uses my installer? I have got no suggestions or
feedback yet. ;)

--
Best Regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-26 12:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-26 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-7-2011 2:37, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> I'm curious, what is "markdown" and why one ever needs to print it? ;)

Some kind of simple ascii tagging.

As it concerned an api specification I wanted to have something readable
instead of staring at an text file.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-26 14:35     ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-07-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Dienstag, den 26.07.2011, 14:43 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 26-7-2011 2:37, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> > I'm curious, what is "markdown" and why one ever needs to print it? ;)
>
> Some kind of simple ascii tagging.

Markdown is also referred to as a markup language. There is also a
Wikipedia article about Markdown [1].

[…]

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Markdown

* Re: markdown
       [not found] <mailman.2340.1311697264.4231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-07-27  0:27 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2011-07-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 > Some kind of simple ascii tagging.

> Markdown is also referred to as a markup language. There is also a
> Wikipedia article about Markdown.

Thank you, this makes sense for me now.

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* markdown
@ 2011-07-26 10:16 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

As it happened that I needed to print a readme.markdown file, the new
beta now has a new extra:

   context --extra=markdown readme.markdown

For some options see:

   context --extra=markdown --help

It will never look real good, but it's better than printing verbatim.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-22 15:42             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-07-22 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.07.2011 um 22:58 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 21-7-2011 9:31, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> %\unexpanded\def\markdownrule
>> %  {\hairline\par}
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\markdownrule
>>   {\markdownparameter\c!rule}
>
> or maybe better
>
> \startsetups markdown:rule
>   \hairline
>   \par
> \stopsetups
>
> \unexpanded\def\markdownrule
>  {\directsetup{markdown:rule}}

\setupmarkdown[rule=\...] would fir better in the normal setup concept of ConTeXt
but as this would be the only setting for \setupmarkdown it can wait till John
had more time to play with the module and find missing features.

Wolfgang

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-21 20:58           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21-7-2011 9:31, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> %\unexpanded\def\markdownrule
> %  {\hairline\par}
>
> \unexpanded\def\markdownrule
>    {\markdownparameter\c!rule}

or maybe better

\startsetups markdown:rule
    \hairline
    \par
\stopsetups

\unexpanded\def\markdownrule
   {\directsetup{markdown:rule}}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-21 19:31         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-07-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.07.2011 um 14:24 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 19-7-2011 7:25, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Can you then also add a few features:
>>
>> - Headings use \startstructurelevel
>> - Paragraphs are enclosed in startparagraph/stopparagraph
>> - emphasis and bold styles use \definehiglight command
>>
>> to make it possible to change the layout of markdown documents
>> where ConTeXt is only used to produce a PDF.
>
> I uploaded a beta with a markdown module. Not being a user myself I leave it to others to provide documentation and examples.
>
> \starttext
>    \startmarkdown
>    % some examples needed
>    \stopmarkdown
> \stoptext

m-markdown.mkiv

\definedelimitedtext
  [markdownblockquote]
- [markdownquotation]
+ [quotation] % blockquote

How about a parameter to change the output of the rule:

@ 2011-07-20 13:08         ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2011-07-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 19-7-2011 7:25, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> The code is derived from luamark (but a few 100% faster so I might have
> messed up). And of course, being the markdown evangelist, John will answer
> all questions.

With pleasure :)

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-20 12:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-20 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2011 7:25, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Can you then also add a few features:
>
> - Headings use \startstructurelevel
> - Paragraphs are enclosed in startparagraph/stopparagraph
> - emphasis and bold styles use \definehiglight command
>
> to make it possible to change the layout of markdown documents
> where ConTeXt is only used to produce a PDF.

I uploaded a beta with a markdown module. Not being a user myself I
leave it to others to provide documentation and examples.

\starttext
     \startmarkdown
     % some examples needed
     \stopmarkdown
\stoptext

The code is derived from luamark (but a few 100% faster so I might have
messed up). And of course, being the markdown evangelist, John will
answer all questions.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-19 17:25     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-07-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-07-19 17:14   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2011 7:08, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 04:05:13PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi Khaled,
>>
>> I took a look at the lunamark code, and ran it on some (copied)
>> sample. As it was much slower than I'd expected from lpeg I messed
>> around a little and could bring down the runtime on the sample from
>> 2 sec to 0.1 sec. Anyhow, there is room for improvement so I wonder
>> If I should take the code, wrap it up a bit, and make a module so
>> that we can directly process markdown in context. (Of course we then
>> need to keep an eye on how the original develops, if mkdown develops
>> at all.)
>
> That would be great! That was my intent when I started hacking lunamrk
> to include a ConTeXt writer, by due to lack of time I never managed to
> do the ConTeXt module part.

Ok, I'll give it a try and you can do the checking.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-19 17:08 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-07-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 04:05:13PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> I took a look at the lunamark code, and ran it on some (copied)
> sample. As it was much slower than I'd expected from lpeg I messed
> around a little and could bring down the runtime on the sample from
> 2 sec to 0.1 sec. Anyhow, there is room for improvement so I wonder
> If I should take the code, wrap it up a bit, and make a module so
> that we can directly process markdown in context. (Of course we then
> need to keep an eye on how the original develops, if mkdown develops
> at all.)

That would be great! That was my intent when I started hacking lunamrk
to include a ConTeXt writer, by due to lack of time I never managed to
do the ConTeXt module part.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: markdown
@ 2011-07-19 14:10 ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2011-07-19 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi Khaled,
>
> I took a look at the lunamark code, and ran it on some (copied) sample. As
> it was much slower than I'd expected from lpeg I messed around a little and
> could bring down the runtime on the sample from 2 sec to 0.1 sec. Anyhow,
> there is room for improvement so I wonder If I should take the code, wrap it
> up a bit, and make a module so that we can directly process markdown in
> context. (Of course we then need to keep an eye on how the original
> develops, if mkdown develops at all.)

Markdown, in its official form, does not seem to evolve very much. However,
there are extensions to the original syntax, such as those provided by
Pandoc (including nice new reference functionalities) and also the Python
Markdown processor.

Anyway, this is great news! Can't wait to see it in action :)

* markdown
@ 2011-07-19 14:05 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)