* Some problems with framing typed text.
@ 2004-08-10 17:30 Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the document I'm working on, I'd like to put some typed code bits in
frames, to get an appearance sort of like the code excerpts on the
ConTeXtWiki.  However, I've found myself needing to do a couple of rather
ugly hacks to get that to work right, and I'm hoping for some suggestions
on how to avoid that.

Here's what I have so far:

\def\typebufferframed[#1]{%
   \vskip\parskip
   \framed[background=color,
    backgroundcolor=gray,
    frame=on,
    strut=yes,
    offset=2mm,
    width=broad,
    framecolor=black,
    align=right]%
    {\vskip -11mm\typebuffer[#1]\vskip -5mm}}

\starttext
Plain text before the code.

\startbuffer[ex1]
This is an example.
\stopbuffer
\typebufferframed[ex1]

Plain text after the code.
\stoptext

The hacks that I'd like to get rid of:

It would be nice not to have to put the code in a buffer before typing it,
since in general I only use these once.  However, if I put \starttyping and
\stoptyping inside a framed command (even if I don't encapsulate it in
another function) it breaks, and putting \startframedtext in the before=
command and \stopframedtext in the after= command of \setuptyping also
doesn't work.

The spacing, when I do things the way that I'm doing them, is all
wrong.  The \vskip\parskip at the top is reasonably ok (although a bit
annoying), but I'd really like to figure out how to get rid of the large
negative \vskip's inside the frame.

Thanks!
- Brooks

* Re: Some problems with framing typed text.
@ 2004-08-10 18:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-08-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.08.2004 um 19:30 schrieb Brooks Moses:

> In the document I'm working on, I'd like to put some typed code bits
> in frames, to get an appearance sort of like the code excerpts on the
> ConTeXtWiki.  However, I've found myself needing to do a couple of
> rather ugly hacks to get that to work right, and I'm hoping for some
> suggestions on how to avoid that.

Did you try something like:

\setupbackground[background=screen, frame=on, color=blue]
\setuptyping[before=\startbackground, after=\stopbackground]

\starttyping
bla bla
\stoptyping

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Some problems with framing typed text.
@ 2004-08-10 18:47   ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:00 AM 8/10/2004, you wrote:
>Am 10.08.2004 um 19:30 schrieb Brooks Moses:
>>In the document I'm working on, I'd like to put some typed code bits in
>>frames, to get an appearance sort of like the code excerpts on the
>>ConTeXtWiki.  However, I've found myself needing to do a couple of rather
>>ugly hacks to get that to work right, and I'm hoping for some suggestions
>>on how to avoid that.
>
>Did you try something like:
>
>\setupbackground[background=screen, frame=on, color=blue]
>\setuptyping[before=\startbackground, after=\stopbackground]
>
>\starttyping
>bla bla
>\stoptyping

I hadn't, but I have now.  (I assume the color=blue was meant to be
framecolor=blue?)  That does seem to work well and avoid most of the
problems; thanks!

It still doesn't give me a \parskip before the typed text, though -- try
putting a \setupspacing[big] with the above code to see what I
mean.  (That's an easy fix, though; a \vskip\parskip in the before= command
fixes it.)  That seems like a bug somewhere, though -- if I comment out the
\setuptyping command, the spacing is fine.

@ 2004-08-10 18:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-10 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 10.08.2004 um 19:30 schrieb Brooks Moses:
>
>> In the document I'm working on, I'd like to put some typed code bits
>> in frames, to get an appearance sort of like the code excerpts on the
>> ConTeXtWiki.  However, I've found myself needing to do a couple of
>> rather ugly hacks to get that to work right, and I'm hoping for some
>> suggestions on how to avoid that.
>

> Did you try something like:
>
> \setupbackground[background=screen, frame=on, color=blue]
> \setuptyping[before=\startbackground, after=\stopbackground]
>
> \starttyping
> bla bla
> \stoptyping

or:

\starttext

\defineframedtext
  [myframed]
  [background=color,
   backgroundcolor=gray,
   frame=on,
   strut=yes,
   offset=2mm,
   width=broad,
   framecolor=black,
   align=right]

\definetyping[mytyping]

\setuptyping
  [before=\startmyframed,
   after=\stopmyframed]

\startmytyping
This is an example.
\stopmytyping

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-10 19:04     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brooks Moses wrote:

> At 11:00 AM 8/10/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Am 10.08.2004 um 19:30 schrieb Brooks Moses:
>>
>>> In the document I'm working on, I'd like to put some typed code bits
>>> in frames, to get an appearance sort of like the code excerpts on
>>> the ConTeXtWiki.  However, I've found myself needing to do a couple
>>> of rather ugly hacks to get that to work right, and I'm hoping for
>>> some suggestions on how to avoid that.
>>

>> Did you try something like:
>>
>> \setupbackground[background=screen, frame=on, color=blue]
>> \setuptyping[before=\startbackground, after=\stopbackground]
>>
>> \starttyping
>> bla bla
>> \stoptyping
>

> I hadn't, but I have now.  (I assume the color=blue was meant to be
> framecolor=blue?)  That does seem to work well and avoid most of the
> problems; thanks!
>
> It still doesn't give me a \parskip before the typed text, though --
> try putting a \setupspacing[big] with the above code to see what I
> mean.  (That's an easy fix, though; a \vskip\parskip in the before=
> command fixes it.)  That seems like a bug somewhere, though -- if I
> comment out the \setuptyping command, the spacing is fine.

The startbackground is not the most robust one (otr based); the \definetextbackgound one is better. The framed solution (earlier post) is probably what you're looking for.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-10 19:21     ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-10 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:48 AM 8/10/2004, Hans Hagen wrote:
>or:
>
>\starttext
>
>\defineframedtext
>  [myframed]
>  [background=color,
>   backgroundcolor=gray,
>   frame=on,
>   strut=yes,
>   offset=2mm,
>   width=broad,
>   framecolor=black,
>   align=right]
>
>\definetyping[mytyping]
>
>\setuptyping
>  [before=\startmyframed,
>   after=\stopmyframed]
>
>\startmytyping
>This is an example.
>\stopmytyping
>
>\stoptext

That works perfectly; thanks!  (I'm a bit confused, though; I tried
something nearly like this as my first attempt, and it gave me very
confusing errors that led me to believe that using \startframedtext in a
before= command wouldn't work.  Strange; I don't remember what I did then,
and it works now.)

- Brooks

* no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-10 20:35       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-10 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm working through the metafun manual.
i noticed at some point that changes to the source do not appear in
the pdf output. sometimes after another texexec round, sometimes not
at all until i do something different in the tex file...
how come (or how to work around :-)

thanks!
//f

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 12:55         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2004-08-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

it seems that you haven't reached page 307....
Have fun,

    Peter

Floris van Manen wrote:

>i'm working through the metafun manual.
>i noticed at some point that changes to the source do not appear in
>the pdf output. sometimes after another texexec round, sometimes not
>at all until i do something different in the tex file...
>how come (or how to work around :-)
>
>thanks!
>//f

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 13:38           ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

PR> it seems that you haven't reached page 307....

well i did.
as far as i understand it, the best way to deal with compiling is to
call texexec.
and i do get graphics in my pdf, but sometimes i need to do en extra
texexec cycle to see the changes come through. and sometimes i don't
get anything into my pdf. that is what makes me uncertain...

@ 2004-08-11 14:00             ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen wrote:

> PR> it seems that you haven't reached page 307....
>
> well i did.
> as far as i understand it, the best way to deal with compiling is to
> call texexec.
> and i do get graphics in my pdf, but sometimes i need to do en extra
> texexec cycle to see the changes come through. and sometimes i don't
> get anything into my pdf. that is what makes me uncertain...

Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
color definitions, ... :-(

Vit Zyka

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 14:09               ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

VZ> Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
VZ> call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
VZ> color definitions, ... :-(

running it twice is something i can live with, but if it will not
solve the problem, then it is... what do i do wrong?

@ 2004-08-11 14:21                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> writes:

> VZ> Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
> VZ> call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
> VZ> color definitions, ... :-(
>
> running it twice is something i can live with, but if it will not
> solve the problem, then it is... what do i do wrong?

Vit and Floris,

if your TeX source is one file only, please do me a favour: try the
TeX files on live.contextgarden.net and see if the output comes out
right. If it doesn't, I'd like to know about it. If it does, please
report on the list. Do you have write18 (texmf.cnf) enabled? How does your
cont-sys.tex look like? What distribution do you use?

I have (on live..) disabled write18, \runMPgraphicstrue
and \runMPTEXgraphicstrue.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 14:44                   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

PG> if your TeX source is one file only, please do me a favour: try the
PG> TeX files on live.contextgarden.net and see if the output comes out
PG> right. If it doesn't, I'd like to know about it. If it does, please
PG> report on the list.

yes this works great. every change i make is directly visible after a
single texexec hit.

PG> Do you have write18 (texmf.cnf) enabled? How does your
PG> cont-sys.tex look like? What distribution do you use?

i use the LiveTeX PC version.

PG> I have (on live..) disabled write18, \runMPgraphicstrue
PG> and \runMPTEXgraphicstrue.

where do i do this?
in C:\texLive\texmf\tex\context\user\cont-sys.rme ?
and what do i type there?

Also i noticed a strange thing happening in the following file.
What i expect is a single line with a dotted label on each point of
the line. i see two lines, a single row of dots and two rows of
labels, one small one large...
You can tell that i'm not very good in telling the right thing to the
compiler :-)
but what should i tell?

--------

% interface=english output=pdftex

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext

\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}

drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled .1pt) ;

w0 := 0cm ; w1 := 0.4cm ; w2 := 0.9 cm ; w3 := 1.0cm ;
ww0 := 0.32cm ; ww1 := 0.4cm ; ww2 := 0.6cm ; ww3 := 0.8cm ;

path q ; q := (w0,w0)--(w0,ww0)--(w1,ww1)--(w2,ww2)--(w3,ww3)--(w3,w0)--cycle ;

pickup pencircle scaled 1mm ;
defaultscale := 0.5 ;
dotlabel.bot ("1" , point 1 of q) ;
dotlabel.bot ("2" , point 2 of q) ;
dotlabel.bot ("3" , point 3 of q) ;
dotlabel.bot ("4" , point 4 of q) ;

draw q ;

picture pic ; pic := currentpicture ;
draw pic scaled 3 ;

drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled .1pt withcolor .625yellow) ;
draw hlingrid(0, 5, 1, 3cm, 3cm) ;
draw vlingrid(0, 10, 1, 3cm, 3cm) ;

\stopuseMPgraphic

\useMPgraphic{dummy}

\stoptext

@ 2004-08-11 15:07                     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> where do i do this?
> in C:\texLive\texmf\tex\context\user\cont-sys.rme ?
> and what do i type there?

see the wiki:

http://contextgarden.net/Cont-sys.tex
and
http://contextgarden.net/Texmf.cnf

Does this help?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 15:14                     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> the line. i see two lines, a single row of dots and two rows of
> labels, one small one large...
> You can tell that i'm not very good in telling the right thing to the
> compiler :-)
> but what should i tell?

You should tell metapost to erase the first picture before drawing
the second one. So:

currentpicture :=nullpicture;
draw pic scaled 3 ;

clears the first picture.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 15:24                       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

PG> You should tell metapost to erase the first picture before drawing
PG> the second one. So:
PG>
PG>
PG> currentpicture :=nullpicture;
PG> draw pic scaled 3 ;
PG>
PG> clears the first picture.

but i only intend to draw one picture...

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 15:34                         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> writes:

> PG> currentpicture :=nullpicture;
> PG> draw pic scaled 3 ;
> PG>
> PG> clears the first picture.
>

> but i only intend to draw one picture...

is this a question? Did you try the code?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 15:57                           ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> PG> currentpicture :=nullpicture;
>> PG> draw pic scaled 3 ;
>> PG>
>> PG> clears the first picture.
>>

>> but i only intend to draw one picture...
PG>
PG> is this a question? Did you try the code?

i did, but it has side-effects...
it will scale, but the color disappears too.
try.

-----

%% interface=english output=pdftex
\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled .1pt) ;
w0 := 0cm ; w1 := 1.2cm ; w2 := 2.7 cm ; w3 := 3.0cm ;
ww0 := 0.96cm ; ww1 := 1.2cm ; ww2 := 1.8cm ; ww3 := 2.4cm ;
path p ; p := (w0,w0)--(w0,ww0)--(w1,ww1)--(w3,ww2)--(w3,w0)--cycle ;
drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled .1pt withcolor .625yellow) ;
draw hlingrid(0, 5, 1, 3cm, 3cm)  ;
draw vlingrid(0, 10, 1, 3cm, 3cm)  ;
drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled 1mm withcolor black) ;
dotlabel.top ("1" , point 1 of p)  ;
dotlabel.top ("2" , point 2 of p)  ;
dotlabel.top ("3" , point 3 of p)  ;

%%%%%   enable/disable this section %%%%%%%%%%
picture pic ; pic := currentpicture ;
currentpicture := nullpicture ;
draw pic scaled 1.0 ;
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 16:00                   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>VZ> Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
>>VZ> call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
>>VZ> color definitions, ... :-(
>>
>>running it twice is something i can live with, but if it will not
>>solve the problem, then it is... what do i do wrong?
>

> Vit and Floris,
>
> if your TeX source is one file only, please do me a favour: try the
> TeX files on live.contextgarden.net and see if the output comes out
> right. If it doesn't, I'd like to know about it. If it does, please
> report on the list. Do you have write18 (texmf.cnf) enabled? How does your
> cont-sys.tex look like? What distribution do you use?
>
> I have (on live..) disabled write18, \runMPgraphicstrue
> and \runMPTEXgraphicstrue.

Thank you, Patrick, I will monitor the case and I will let you know if
it occures again.

I am using two distributions (the case was observed on both):
1) TeX Live 2002/Linux; write18 enabled
2) TeX Live 2003/Win 2K, updated ConTeXt on Win 2000;
    write18 disabled for a long time, but it was enabled a month ago

cont-sys.tex (without comments):
\usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]
\runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue
\useMETAFUNformattrue
\newprettytrue
\protectbufferstrue

Vit

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 16:30                     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vit,

> cont-sys.tex (without comments):
> \usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]
> \runMPgraphicstrue
> \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
> \useMETAFUNformattrue
> \newprettytrue
> \protectbufferstrue

That looks fine to me.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 16:38                             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> i did, but it has side-effects...
> it will scale, but the color disappears too.
> try.

This is indeed strange. Any metapost experts?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 17:14                 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2004-08-11 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Floris van Manen wrote:

> VZ> Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
> VZ> call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
> VZ> color definitions, ... :-(
>
> running it twice is something i can live with, but if it will not
> solve the problem, then it is... what do i do wrong?

Once, I had a similar problem: modifications in the embedded MetaFun code
did not show up in the pdf or ps file, even after 4 or 5 texexec runs.
The solution was, to delete all temporary files (*.mp *.tuo *.tui etc).
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/
_____________________________________

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 18:03                               ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

i guess it might have to do with the versions of the programs
involved. below you see the output of my version and the contextgarden
version.
i got my LiveTex last week from the web. Any idea how to
(automatically) update to the most recent versions?

//f

=========================
my version:

 TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : testtex
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (c:/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./testtex.tex{c:/TeXLive/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.9.25  fmt: 2004.8.6  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 8:2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : testtex.top loaded
(./testtex.top
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
system (E-TEX) : [line 1907] \ifcsname
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)

==============================
contextgarden:

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : texweb
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-rc7.1-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.3)
 (/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
output format initialized to DVI
entering extended mode
(./texweb.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2004.6.26  fmt: 2004.7.27  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
color          : palette rollover is available
system (E-TEX) : [line 599]
system (E-TEX) : [line 654]
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(/opt/local/texmf/tex/context/cont-sys.tex
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/opt/tetex/20040711/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3>
<unprotect 4>
system (E-TEX) : [line 2270] \ifcsname
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 18:17                                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> i guess it might have to do with the versions of the programs
> involved. below you see the output of my version and the contextgarden
> version.

That might be the case. But a year ago things should have worked the
same way.

> i got my LiveTex last week from the web. Any idea how to
> (automatically) update to the most recent versions?

There is no way to update this automaticalliy. But take a look at the
wiki and http://levana.de/context/  (still need to put this into the
wiki).

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 22:17                                   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

PG> There is no way to update this automaticalliy.

i think i got lost in the trees...

i got the update from pragma-ade.com, unzipped the files in
c:\texlive\texmf i did run the texexec --make
but i still have texexec 4.0 running...

the texexec.exe doesn't seem to find the most recent version.
i know i'm doing something unintentionally (may that be a lesson to
you :-) yet how do i get out?

@ 2004-08-12  7:13                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hello,
>

>>i did, but it has side-effects...
>>it will scale, but the color disappears too.
>>try.
>>

>This is indeed strange. Any metapost experts?

how did the graphic definition look?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-12  7:25                                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>There is no way to update this automaticalliy. But take a look at the
>wiki and http://levana.de/context/  (still need to put this into the
>wiki).

actually, if you run a minimal tree, you can do a sycn with the tree on out server using texsync, but i have to test that -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-12  7:42                                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans and Floris,

>>This is indeed strange. Any metapost experts?
>>
> how did the graphic definition look? Hans

Well, a look at the source while being awake (although this is hardly
possible without coffee yet) made it clear, that there is a simple
drawoptions() missing to erase the former drawoptions() statement.

So Floris, use:

[...]

%%%%%   enable/disable this section %%%%%%%%%%
picture pic ; pic := currentpicture ;
currentpicture := nullpicture ;

drawoptions();
draw pic scaled 1.0 ;
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

[...]

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12  7:47                                     ` Patrick Gundlach
                                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> i got the update from pragma-ade.com, unzipped the files in
> c:\texlive\texmf i did run the texexec --make
> but i still have texexec 4.0 running...

Any windows / texlive users should be able to tell you more.

But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
guess. The directory structure has changed a bit with respect to the
location of scripts and metapost files, so your old texlive metafun
macros will be used.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-12  8:05                                       ` Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2004-08-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
> guess.

I agree... but be aware that in
http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation this is just what is suggested

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 11:03                                       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>i got the update from pragma-ade.com, unzipped the files in
>>c:\texlive\texmf i did run the texexec --make
>>but i still have texexec 4.0 running...
>

> Any windows / texlive users should be able to tell you more.

Win / TeX Live call Perl scripts via .exe files of the same name.
But I do not know connection between them (e.g. if it follows kpsewhich
for finding new .pl in texmf-local).

Somebody should know more, somebody had to prepare .exe files.

Vit Zyka

P.S. I suppose you can call new one via
   perl %TEXEXECPATH%\texexec.pl %*

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 11:06                                     ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

h.

I just want to use context with the metafun and xml features.
I don't know if that is minimal enough :-)

HH> actually, if you run a minimal tree, you can do a sycn with the
HH> tree on out server using texsync, but i have to test that -)

via google i found:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mtexsync-s.pdf

in that document is a link:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/system/rsync-cw.zip

but that seems to be void these days :-(

how do i get this texsync, it seems the right tool for me...

thanks
% floris

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 11:29                                       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

PG> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
PG> guess. The directory structure has changed a bit with respect to the
PG> location of scripts and metapost files, so your old texlive metafun
PG> macros will be used.

that is explaining the situation. But for an end-user (i try to keep
myself on that level) it is *not* very convenient left with this
situation (not knowing it exists in the first place)

I guess i have to uninstall the present pftex and start from scratch.
Which one is the best option to get Context,metafun,xml working?
And i would like to have a similar working set on my OSX laptop too.
Where are the experts ? :-)

Also, i find the live context garden very helpful, as you can check a
script independent form your own location.

Hints for improvement:

1. provide an e-mail response for hints/remarks/questions.
2. the 'reset form' switch doesn't work.
3. some kind of summary (e.g. the real errors) of the log file would
be very helpful. at present you have to parse the output yourself and
have to locate the error yourself (e.g. too much is just info)

thanks!
% floris

* Re[2]: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 11:30                                         ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
>> guess.
EA>
EA> I agree... but be aware that in
EA> http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation this is just what is suggested

and precisely what i therefor did :-(

@ 2004-08-12 19:26                                         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Floris,

> that is explaining the situation. But for an end-user (i try to keep
> myself on that level) it is *not* very convenient left with this
> situation (not knowing it exists in the first place)

Not all hope is lost. IIRC there were two important differences from
your texlive upto now:

1) paths of scripts have changed (now in texmf/scripts/context/perl/
   I don't remember were they were ... wait.... texmf/context/perltk)

2) metafun macros are now in metapost/context/base (hmm, it looks as
   if this is now since a long time ... OK found it: this was in
   metapost/context in version 2003.1.28 and in .../base in version
   2003.1.30 - long time before current texlive came out. You use the
   current texlive (almost a year old now))?

So you are probably only affected by 1). Any window user should tell
you how to use the texexec.pl from the scripts path and use this in
favour of the default one.

> I guess i have to uninstall the present pftex and start from
> scratch.

Oh no, don't do this. It looks fine. An uptodate texexec is not
extremely important.

> Which one is the best option to get Context,metafun,xml working?
> And i would like to have a similar working set on my OSX laptop too.
> Where are the experts ? :-)

You use texlive on your OS X laptop? That is what I have, too. I have
not taken the default ConTeXt, but downloaded a current one from
Pragma ADE page and installed it in a spearate directory and did a
few things that are mentioned on my old ConTeXt page
(http://levana.de/context).

> Hints for improvement:

[...]

I'll return to the live... next week, I'll save your (and the other)
suggestions until then.

Patrick

--

@ 2004-08-12 22:02                                           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>that is explaining the situation. But for an end-user (i try to keep
>>myself on that level) it is *not* very convenient left with this
>>situation (not knowing it exists in the first place)
>>

>Not all hope is lost. IIRC there were two important differences from
>your texlive upto now:
>
>1) paths of scripts have changed (now in texmf/scripts/context/perl/
>   I don't remember were they were ... wait.... texmf/context/perltk)
>
>2) metafun macros are now in metapost/context/base (hmm, it looks as
>   if this is now since a long time ... OK found it: this was in
>   metapost/context in version 2003.1.28 and in .../base in version
>   2003.1.30 - long time before current texlive came out. You use the
>   current texlive (almost a year old now))?
>
>So you are probably only affected by 1). Any window user should tell
>you how to use the texexec.pl from the scripts path and use this in
>favour of the default one.

if you have textools.rb:

textools --fixtexmftrees

will fix the tree

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re[2]: getting context going
@ 2004-08-12 23:32                                             ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

hans.

i re-started fresh (again :-) re-installing livetex using the
texsetup.exe command.

HH> if you install context, you can best do it into
HH>
HH>   texmf-local
HH>
HH> (sometimes texmflocal)
HH>
HH> that way the files will be found there first; (it's also easier to prune
HH> that tree)

i did that too.

HH> if you have textools.rb:
HH>
HH> textools --fixtexmftrees
HH>
HH> will fix the tree

i did find textools.rb in the folder
C:\texlive\texmf-local\scripts\context\ruby

when i type the instruction windows does not (yet) understand it.

C:\>textools --fixtexmftrees
'textools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

in the windows environment there is:

path      c:\texlive\bin\win32;...
texmfcnf  c:\texlive\texmf-var\web2c
texmftemp c:\texlive\temp

texexec --verbose gives the following:

C:\>texexec --verbose
Kpathsea released!

 TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

          current path : C:/Documents and Settings/vm/Desktop
     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : c:/TeXLive/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'fptex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en nl metafun mptopdf' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviSpecialScript' to 'dvispec' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormat' to 'metafun' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFontsPath' to 'l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;' fo
r 'all'
               setting : 'TeXHashExecutable' to 'mktexlsr' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'TeXPassString' to '-progname=context --default-transla
te-file=cp8bit' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'TeXBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'MpVirginFlag' to '-ini' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'MpPassString' to '-progname=mpost' for 'fptex'
               setting : 'MpBatchFlag' to '-int=batchmode' for 'fptex'

          used setting : TeXShell = fptex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en nl metafun mptopdf
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXHashExecutable = mktexlsr
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXNonStopFlag = -int=nonstopmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpNonStopFlag = -int=nonstopmode
          used setting : TeXPassString = -progname=context --default-translate-f
ile=cp8bit
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpFormatFlag = &
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : MpPassString = -progname=mpost
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : MpFormatPath =
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =
          used setting : SetFile =

 applications will use : c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\web2c/texmf.cnf
      locating fmtutil : C:/TeXLive/bin/win32/fmtutil.exe

                --help   overview of all options and their values
            --help all   all about all options
          --help short   just the main options
   --help mode ... pdf   all about a few options
        --help '*.pdf'   all about options containing 'pdf'

        total run time : 0 seconds

the problem to me is that it is difficult to know what to look for and
where. then it turns out that the documentation is not in sync with
reality. that makes it difficult for a novice user (which i try to
remain :-).

i'm really looking forward in using context, but getting the car out
of the garage is cumbersome.

which (automatic) setup is best to use for XP and OSX ?

as i wrote before, i hope at least that there is also a positive
aspect to my stumbling e.g. what do people wrong...

% floris

* Re: getting context going
@ 2004-08-12 23:48                                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen wrote:

>C:\>textools --fixtexmftrees
>'textools' is not recognized as an internal or external command
>

>operable program or batch file.

it's a ruby script so you need to install ruby

(i'll upload a new minimal tree so that you can just download, and unzip that one; easier -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getting context going
@ 2004-08-13  8:24                                               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> writes:

> i did find textools.rb in the folder
> C:\texlive\texmf-local\scripts\context\ruby

It is not really necessary to run ConTeXt.

Did you try your installation?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re[2]: getting context going --> feature tool request
@ 2004-08-13 12:29                                                 ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-13 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

PG> It is not really necessary to run ConTeXt.
PG>
PG> Did you try your installation?

i can run texexec but will still get 4.0 instead of the more recent
version  i installed into the texmf-local directory.

i can run texexec --make

if i now try to run texexec test.tex
it will stop at the first line:

Kpathsea released!

 TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : testtex
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (c:/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./testtex.tex{c:/TeXLive/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2004.6.30  fmt: 2004.8.13  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
color          : palette rollover is available
system (E-TEX) : [line 599]
system (E-TEX) : [line 654]
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(c:/TeXLive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
kpathsea: Running mktextfm msam7
mktextfm: Running mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input msam7"
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2c 7.5.2)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf msam7
mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile!
! I can't find file `msam7'.
<*> ...e:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input msam7

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...e:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input msam7

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: warning: can't open log file msam7.log.
mktextfm: `mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input msam7"' failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
! Font \*7ptmmma*=msam7 at 7.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\dodosetmathfamilyA ...amily \fontsize \endcsname
                                                  \else \ifcsname \fontbody ...

\dosetmathfamily ...athfamily \scriptscriptfont #1
                                                  \let \fontbody #3\dodosetm...
<inserted text> ...\scriptscriptface \c!ma \empty
                                                  \dosetmathfamily \mbfam \t...

\synchronizemath ...athfonts \the \mathstrategies
                                                  \fam \mrfam \fi
l.1
    %% interface=english output=pdftex
?

------------------

as what the feature tool request:
could it be possible to have a simple command line program that you
call from within a specific folder and thereby adding or removing this
folder from some of the indicated tex/context path setttings.

e.g. i copy a new version on context into a folder, i cd to the root
of that folder and run 'AddThisContextToTex' and the script will take
care of the rest. or 'AddThisFolderToFontsList'. you get the picture.

believe me, it is so frustrating to know that context is so powerful
and easy to operate, but not being able to get it running in the first
place...

it must be something very simple to solve...

it would be a nice feature to have tex installed based on context
instead of the other way around...
is there a (hidden) feature in texexec that could do that?

thanks again (over and over :-)

% floris