From: Thomas Friedrich <info@suud.de>
Subject: Re: Typesetting >> in verbatim
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:39:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, den 08.09.2011, 09:59 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> Am 08.09.2011 um 09:55 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Thomas Friedrich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am having problems typing ">>" when typesetting code within a
> >> \definetyping environment.
> >>
> >> I hope someone might be able to give me a hint.  My code looks as
> >> follows:
> >>
> >> \definetyping
> >>  [Haskell]
> >>  [ option=commands,
> >>    before={\startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth,
> >>      frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=on,
> >>      background=screen,backgroundscreen=.90]},
> >>    after={\stopframedtext},
> >>    bodyfont=9pt,
> >>    margin=1.5em]
> >>
> >> \startHaskell
> >> main = foo >>= bar
> >> \stopHaskell
> >>
> >> Whenever ConTeXt comes across >> anywhere in the text, it just doesn't
> >> typeset anything.  So in the above case, I get the output:
> >>
> >> main = foo = bar
> >
> > Confirmed. >> are eaten in MkII but everything works fine with MkIV. My guess is because of automatic ligatures for >>. My usual trick for disabling such ligatures in MkII is
> >
> >    \usetypescript [modern] [texnansi]
> >    \setupbodyfont [modern]
> >
> > but that does not work in this case. There were some discussions in the past about disabling ligatures in typewriter font, but I don't remember the exact solution.
>
> No, the culprit is “option=commands" which gobbles “>>”.
>
> Wolfgang

You are absolutely right, Wolfgang.  When removing the "option=commands"
from the definition, the ">>" won't get eaten.  (Thanks!)  However, my
whole code consists of things such as

\startHaskell
  main = f1 /BTEX$\circ$/ETEX  f2 >>= hey
\stopHaskell

How comes that the ">>" are gobbled?  Even worse, something like

\startHaskell
  foo = bar =<< print
\stopHaskell

won't even compile.  It doesn't like "<<".

Question: Is there a way to replace the ">>" and "<<" strings in
the typesetting environment by something else?  Or another work around?

Thanks,
Thomas