* Console Verbosity & Optimized Output Generation
@ 2011-09-14  0:39 Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-14  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey folks,

Two questions.

Is there a certain set of command line switches recommended for cleaning
up the console output when ConTeXt is executed? It is very verbose and I
only need to see warnings and error messages.

The typesetting source to a book I am working on is composed of many
individual files. When I change one, the whole book needs to be
regenerated which takes a long time to do. Is there some way for ConTeXt
to cache work already done and take that into account when it is run?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

* Re: Console Verbosity & Optimized Output Generation
@ 2011-09-16 12:23 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-16 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.09.2011 um 02:39 schrieb Kip Warner:

> Hey folks,
>
> Two questions.
>
> Is there a certain set of command line switches recommended for cleaning
> up the console output when ConTeXt is executed? It is very verbose and I
> only need to see warnings and error messages.

To get rid of all messages on the command line you can use the “batchmode” parameter.

mtx-context     | --batchmode           run without stopping and don't show messages on the console
mtx-context     | --nonstopmode         run without stopping

In your document you can use the following two booleans to disable warnings and messages:

\showwarningsfalse
\showmessagesfalse

> The typesetting source to a book I am working on is composed of many
> individual files. When I change one, the whole book needs to be
> regenerated which takes a long time to do. Is there some way for ConTeXt
> to cache work already done and take that into account when it is run?

Separate you document in components and process only the component your
working on, this is faster then the whole book (product).

Wolfgang

* Re: Console Verbosity & Optimized Output Generation
@ 2011-09-16 17:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-9-2011 14:23, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 14.09.2011 um 02:39 schrieb Kip Warner:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Two questions.
>>
>> Is there a certain set of command line switches recommended for cleaning
>> up the console output when ConTeXt is executed? It is very verbose and I
>> only need to see warnings and error messages.
>
> To get rid of all messages on the command line you can use the “batchmode” parameter.
>
> mtx-context     | --batchmode           run without stopping and don't show messages on the console
> mtx-context     | --nonstopmode         run without stopping
>
> In your document you can use the following two booleans to disable warnings and messages:
>
> \showwarningsfalse
> \showmessagesfalse
>
>> The typesetting source to a book I am working on is composed of many
>> individual files. When I change one, the whole book needs to be
>> regenerated which takes a long time to do. Is there some way for ConTeXt
>> to cache work already done and take that into account when it is run?
>
> Separate you document in components and process only the component your
> working on, this is faster then the whole book (product).

there's also also --directives=logs.blocked,system.nostatistics

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-17  2:07     ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-17  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:01 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> there's also also --directives=logs.blocked,system.nostatistics

Hmm, tried that and Wolfgang's suggestions and still seeing lots of
stuff like this:

pages           > flushing realpage 139, userpage 137, subpage 14
pages           > flushing realpage 140, userpage 138, subpage 15
pages           > flushing realpage 141, userpage 139, subpage 16
pages           > flushing realpage 142, userpage 140, subpage 17
pages           > flushing realpage 143, userpage 141, subpage 18
pages           > flushing realpage 144, userpage 142, subpage 19
pages           > flushing realpage 145, userpage 143, subpage 20

@ 2011-09-17  7:47       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-17  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-9-2011 04:07, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:01 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> there's also also --directives=logs.blocked,system.nostatistics
>
> Hmm, tried that and Wolfgang's suggestions and still seeing lots of
> stuff like this:

> pages>  flushing realpage 139, userpage 137, subpage 14
> pages>  flushing realpage 140, userpage 138, subpage 15
> pages>  flushing realpage 141, userpage 139, subpage 16
> pages>  flushing realpage 142, userpage 140, subpage 17
> pages>  flushing realpage 143, userpage 141, subpage 18
> pages>  flushing realpage 144, userpage 142, subpage 19
> pages>  flushing realpage 145, userpage 143, subpage 20

just runt with

context ... > void.log

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-19 23:09         ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 09:47 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> just runt with
>
> context ... > void.log

But then I won't even see errors. If I try just...

$ context 1> /dev/null

I still see no errors when there are some.

--

@ 2011-09-19 23:10     ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-19 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:01 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> there's also also --directives=logs.blocked,system.nostatistics

Tried that and didn't seem to make any difference.

--

@ 2011-09-19 23:12   ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-19 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 14:23 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Separate you document in components and process only the component your
> working on, this is faster then the whole book (product).

I've done that already. The whole book is one product, but each chapter
is its own component. When one component changes, ConTeXt seems to
rebuild the whole book.

--

@ 2011-09-20  7:18     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-09-20  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-09-20 um 01:12 schrieb Kip Warner:

> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 14:23 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Separate you document in components and process only the component
>> your
>> working on, this is faster then the whole book (product).
>
> I've done that already. The whole book is one product, but each
> chapter
> is its own component. When one component changes, ConTeXt seems to
> rebuild the whole book.

Of course - the number of pages and the placement of references
(including start of sections, important for ToC) may have changed.

If you don’t care about proper ToC, registers etc. you can use the --
once switch. But if you "compile" the product, of course the whole
thing will get re-processed.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Console Verbosity & Optimized Output Generation
@ 2011-09-23 22:36       ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-09-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)