Am Donnerstag, den 13.10.2011, 00:28 +0200 schrieb Mojca Miklavec: > On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 00:13, Paul Menzel wrote: > > Am Mittwoch, den 12.10.2011, 07:36 +0200 schrieb Alan Braslau: > > > >> Metapost can now perform calculations in double precision floating point. > >> At this time, it is in the svn version and does not work yet as > >> such integrated in ConTeXt (through mplib). Taco promises this for soon... > > > > great to hear that. Just to clarify, with »now« you mean MetaPost v2, do > > not you? > > No, 1.750. The version 2 is not quite ready yet, but the version 1.750 > already deals with floating point numbers. Thank you for the clarification/correction. > > Taco, I hope you get there without a lot of problems showing > > up. If you need testers a good option would be to integrate that into > > ConTeXt Standalone as an option. > > It will become part of distribution as soon as it gets out, but Taco > was busy enough organizing conference and dozens of other things. Just > give him some time. I bet that he also wants to update documentation, > do final bugfixing etc. instead of just releasing a random snapshot. Of course the user would have to make a conscious decision by enabling this “beta” release. If people could test this and with the right announcement I hope that some people would step up to test and contribute by submitting bug reports or writing documentation. > > One thing coming to my mind though that hopefully the wheel is not > > reimplemented. I guess Gnuplot can do a lot already, but on the other > > probably not as neat as Metapost when we want to color certain areas. > > Can you please specify your question more precisely? I meant coloring part of the area below a graph. For example if you look at the graphic for Riemann sums on page 51 of the document »Learning MetaPost by Doing« [6]. > Gnuplot terminal uses metapost output. Gnuplot has some support for > transparency, even though I'm not exactly sure if one can specify > transparent colors for lines, only for fills. But you can always > simply redefine line type colors to be transparent. > > Gnuplot brings all kinds of other problems like dependency on external > tool. If you have enough time to create nice plots in metapost, it is > better to avoid external dependency as a general rule. But if you have > more questions about it, feel free to ask. I might be able to help > you. Well my only question would be, why should someone use Gnuplot then? Is it only for people already knowing Gnuplot? Or also because it is a little less work to define the coordinate system and legends? Otherwise MetaPost seems to include all functionality Gnuplot offers and seems to offer more possibilities, does not it? > The ConTeXt terminal was almost included until developers > realized that they wanted me to throw away some code for handling > units and replace that code with something buggy (like "size 10cm,10" > -> (10cm,10cm); "size 10,10cm" -> (0.35cm,10cm) or (25.40cm,10.00cm) > depending on weather). Now I need to either rewrite part of my code or > rewrite part of core code or convince them why keeping the old code. I remember a thread about that [9]. Thanks, Paul [6] http://staff.science.uva.nl/~heck/Courses/mptut.pdf [9] http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/054196.html