* beta
@ 2011-10-28 14:24 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet
another table mechanism: extreme tables. There is a manual too:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xtables-mkiv.pdf

It says in the introduction:

 >> This is a short introduction to yet another table mechanism built
in \CONTEXT. It is a variant of the so called natural tables but
it has a different configuration. Also, the implementation is
completely different. The reason for writing it is that in one of
our projects we had to write styles for documents that had tables
spanning 30 or more pages and apart from memory constraints this
is quite a challenge for the other mechanisms, if only because
splitting them into successive floats is not possible due to
limitations of \TEX. The extreme table mechanism can handle pretty
large tables and split them too. As each cell is basically a \type
{\framed} and as we need to do two passes over the table, this
mechanism is not the fastest but it is some two times faster than
the natural tables mechanism, and in most cases can be used
instead. <<

There will probably a few additions but it's already pretty complete.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-10-28 14:46 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-10-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/28/11 16:24, Hans Hagen wrote:
> I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet
> another table mechanism: extreme tables.

Extreme tables - be careful, leave yourself some room for the next
iteration; you might run out of superlatives. What will be next:
supermongous tables? monster tables? awesome tables? :-)

I just had a look at the manual, and this looks very very nice - clean
syntax, and might be easier to map from xml than the other models.
Thanks Hans, I'm looking forward to playing with those!

Thomas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-10-28 15:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-10-2011 16:46, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On 10/28/11 16:24, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet
>> another table mechanism: extreme tables.
>
> Extreme tables - be careful, leave yourself some room for the next
> iteration; you might run out of superlatives. What will be next:
> supermongous tables? monster tables? awesome tables? :-)

Well, I needed a temporary name for the commands so I ended up with
\startxtable and didn't want to change the namespace and macro names etc
so the x became eXtreme. A next table mechanism will use a different
character so then I have to make up something, like \startwtable which
will then become 'weird tables' or so.

Maybe I'll make you a

\starttabularasa
\stoptabularasa

... the ultimate minimalistic table mechanism, implemented as ...

\unexpanded\def\starttabularasa#1\stoptabularasa{}
\let\stoptabularasa\relax

... which is then also the smallest module.

Concerning the xml ... I'll probably redo cals tables in this mechanism
and maybe even provide a bTABLE -> xtable mapping (btu I'm not sure
about that one).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-10-28 15:11     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-10-28 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 28-10-2011 16:46, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>
>> On 10/28/11 16:24, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>>
>>> I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet
>>> another table mechanism: extreme tables.
>>
>> Extreme tables - be careful, leave yourself some room for the next
>> iteration; you might run out of superlatives. What will be next:
>> supermongous tables? monster tables? awesome tables? :-)
>
> Well, I needed a temporary name for the commands so I ended up with
> \startxtable and didn't want to change the namespace and macro names etc so
> the x became eXtreme. A next table mechanism will use a different character
> so then I have to make up something, like \startwtable which will then
> become 'weird tables' or so.
You can use context user names, i.e.
\startwtable is
Willi's table

ok, a dirty trick to promote the group.

--
luigi

* Re: xtables-mkiv: Metadata of manual not stored in PDF metadata (was: beta)
@ 2011-10-29 11:47 ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-10-29 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Hans,

Am Freitag, den 28.10.2011, 16:24 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet
> another table mechanism: extreme tables.

thank you for this new table.

> There is a manual too:
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xtables-mkiv.pdf

I just wanted to note that displaying the PDF properties (in Evince
using Alt + return) the title is just the file name and the author is
set to unknown.

Seeing that there is a colophon storing that metadata at the right place
should not be a problem, I guess.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul

* Re: beta
@ 2011-11-03 12:40 ` Leo Razoumov
From: Leo Razoumov @ 2011-11-03 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:24, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new beta. The biggest new thing is that there is yet another
> table mechanism: extreme tables. There is a manual too:
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xtables-mkiv.pdf

It would help the navigation if the manual has a hyperlinked table-of-contents.
For some reason it does not.

--Leo--