* backward compatibility [URGENT]
@ 2007-12-06 17:31 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

re-typesetting a book (that was last set with ConTeXt  ver:
2007.08.09) I had to see that several pages now have a different line-
break (and so the page-break and the TOC and the index register are
changed) ... quite a mess.

I guess is not so easy to find out what changes in the ConTeXt source
result in these changes now.
So to continue work it will be probably better to downgrade again my
ConTeXt.

Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?

Thanks,

Steffen

* Re: backward compatibility [URGENT]
@ 2007-12-06 17:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> re-typesetting a book (that was last set with ConTeXt  ver:
> 2007.08.09) I had to see that several pages now have a different line-
> break (and so the page-break and the TOC and the index register are
> changed) ... quite a mess.
>
> I guess is not so easy to find out what changes in the ConTeXt source
> result in these changes now.
> So to continue work it will be probably better to downgrade again my
> ConTeXt.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
> updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?

hm, not that much was changed in toc/register code, so maybe you can
diff and see what happened; we're talking mkii i presume

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-06 17:53 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:31:58 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
> updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?

Where is the museum exactly? I usually keep old cont-tmf's for up to half
a year before deleting them but if there is a depository...

Best
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: backward compatibility [URGENT]
@ 2007-12-06 17:57   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-06 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:31:58 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum
> <context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
>> updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?
>
> Where is the museum exactly? I usually keep old cont-tmf's for up to half
> a year before deleting them but if there is a depository...

See

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Revisions

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: backward compatibility [URGENT]
@ 2007-12-06 19:58     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-12-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:31:58 -0700, Steffen Wolfrum
>> <context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
>>> updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?
>>
>> Where is the museum exactly? I usually keep old cont-tmf's for up to half
>> a year before deleting them but if there is a depository...
>
> See
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Revisions

Hans,

How hard is to implement a --downgrade switch (or --upgrade=version) in
ctxtools? It would be as simple as:

1. Go to http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14, parse for the
particular date and download the appropriate files, or
2. Try all files tmf, exa, win|ppc|?? one by one, and download the ones
that are available,

and then unzip the files and remake the formats. This would make going
back to an old version really easy. I don't know if packet managers for
linux like apt-get can downgrade to an earlier version. In any case, this
will be a very useful feature.

Aditya

* Re: backward compatibility [URGENT]
@ 2007-12-06 20:06   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.12.2007 um 18:35 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> re-typesetting a book (that was last set with ConTeXt  ver:
>> 2007.08.09) I had to see that several pages now have a different
>> line-
>> break (and so the page-break and the TOC and the index register are
>> changed) ... quite a mess.
>>
>> I guess is not so easy to find out what changes in the ConTeXt source
>> result in these changes now.
>> So to continue work it will be probably better to downgrade again my
>> ConTeXt.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this, like using sudo ctxtools --
>> updatecontext and use the respective files from the museum?
>
> hm, not that much was changed in toc/register code, so maybe you can
> diff and see what happened; we're talking mkii i presume

only, what should I diff?? my project's files haven't changed (just
used the old ones again).
and the tex/context source files were updated and thus overwritten.

isn't there a way to point the command ...

sudo ctxtools --updatecontext

... to the respective (2007.08.09) files in the museum and downgrade
my system again?

@ 2007-12-07  8:50     ` Steffen Wolfrum
       [not found]       ` <47590D11.4090800@wxs.nl>
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-07  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning Hans,

back to the desktop I looked at the differences in the log files.
I think this is the relevant change::

now ->

systems         : system commands are enabled
(./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./
DH_X.tuo)
(./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-def.tex
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-def.mkii))
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex

with version 2007.08.09 ->

systems         : system commands are enabled
(./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./
DH_X.tuo)
(./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo) (./DH_X.tuo)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex

could this result in different line-breaks?
if so, what should I change in order to get the older output back?

Best,

@ 2007-12-07  9:10       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>>> Where is the museum exactly? I usually keep old cont-tmf's for up to half
>>> a year before deleting them but if there is a depository...
>> See
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Revisions
>
> Hans,
>
> How hard is to implement a --downgrade switch (or --upgrade=version) in
> ctxtools? It would be as simple as:
>
> 1. Go to http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14, parse for the
> particular date and download the appropriate files, or
> 2. Try all files tmf, exa, win|ppc|?? one by one, and download the ones
> that are available,
>
> and then unzip the files and remake the formats. This would make going
> back to an old version really easy. I don't know if packet managers for
> linux like apt-get can downgrade to an earlier version. In any case, this
> will be a very useful feature.

eventually the minimal installer should be able to do this

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found]         ` <2F0ABBD5-2A3A-42FA-BAA2-BA027265EA7C@st.estfiles.de>
@ 2007-12-07  9:36           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 07.12.2007 um 10:06 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> can you check the fonts being used? maybe older docs use ec and newer
>> texnansi and kerning as well as ligs may differ
>

> checking with acrobat the fonts actually used in the two pdfs gives both
> the same result, no change:
>
> NimbusRomNo9L-Medi (embedded Subset)
> Type: Type 1
> Encoding: Custom
> NimbusRomNo9L-Regu (embedded Subset)
> Type: Type 1
> Encoding: Custom
> NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal (embedded Subset)
> Type: Type 1
> Encoding: Custom
> rtxmi (embedded Subset)
> Type: Type 1
> Encoding: Built-in
>

> nevertheless the two logs also have differences regarding fonts:
>
> with version 2007.08.09:
>
> fonts           : using map file: lm-texnansi
> {/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-texnansi.map}
> fonts           : using map file: original-base
> {/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.
>
> map}
>

> now:
>
> fonts           : using map file: original-base
> {/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.
>
> map}
>

> Any idea?

switch to ec encoding and see what happens ... in the past there were no
texnansi cmr files (only pseudo ec == aer)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-07 10:04             ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.12.2007 um 10:36 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> switch to ec encoding and see what happens ... in the past there
> were no texnansi cmr files (only pseudo ec == aer)

no improvement: still the new, wrong linebreaks ...

Steffen

* Re: [found it!] backward compatibility
@ 2007-12-07 10:25               ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a closer look at the specific lines and now I guess I found the
change:

[e.g.] AGB|-|Recht

There is no hyphenation at |-| points anymore!!!

How could this happen?

@ 2007-12-07 10:46                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-07 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/7, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de>:
> I had a closer look at the specific lines and now I guess I found the
> change:
>
> [e.g.] AGB|-|Recht
>
> There is no hyphenation at |-| points anymore!!!
>

> How could this happen?
>
> Steffen

Can you make a small example, I tried the following example on the wiki
and the second line is always broken, the first only with PDFTeX but not
with XeTeX.

\starttext
\hsize1cm
AGB|-|Recht

a AGB|-|Recht
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: [found it!] backward compatibility
@ 2007-12-07 11:43                   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-07 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2007/12/7, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de>:
>> I had a closer look at the specific lines and now I guess I found the
>> change:
>>
>> [e.g.] AGB|-|Recht
>>
>> There is no hyphenation at |-| points anymore!!!
>>

>> How could this happen?
>>
>> Steffen
>
> Can you make a small example, I tried the following example on the
> wiki
> and the second line is always broken, the first only with PDFTeX
> but not
> with XeTeX.

(it was set with pdftex)

I made some tests: In some cases |-| still works (it looks to me as
if the priorities in the linebraking rules were mixed up?! But this
can't be ...).

Thus it is not so easy to make a representative example.
But look at the following, simulating a real example:

\usetypescript[postscript][ec]
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\mainlanguage[de]
\enableregime[utf]

\showframe

\setupbodyfont[postscript,14.5pt]
  \def\myFNnumber#1{\hskip1.15em{\switchtobodyfont[8pt]#1}\enskip}

\setupfootnotedefinition[command=
\myFNnumber,indentnext=yes,location=serried]

\starttext

\setnumber[footnote]{217}% this is broken, the next FN-number should
be 218

text\footnote{S. aber zu einer allgemeinen Regulierung von
Selbstverpflichtungen und normersetzenden Absprachen §§\,35, 36 UGB|-|
KomE und die dazu gehörige Begründung UGB|-|KomE S.\,501\,ff., sowie
§§\,130 - 136 IGB (3.\,Teil 1.\,Kapitel 6.\,Abschnitt). }.

\stoptext

Now the line breaking is as such:
218
S. aber zu einer allgemeinen Regulierung von Selbstverpflichtungen
und normer-
setzenden Absprachen §§ 35, 36 UGB-KomE und die dazu gehörige
Begründung UGB-
KomE S. 501 ff., sowie §§ 130 - 136 IGB (3. Teil 1. Kapitel 6.
Abschnitt).

Four months ago the same text came out like this:
218
S. aber zu einer allgemeinen Regulierung von Selbstverpfl\0ichtungen
und normerset-
zenden Absprachen §§ 35, 36 UGB-KomE und die dazu gehörige
Begründung UGB-KomE
S. 501 ff., sowie §§ 130 - 136 IGB (3. Teil 1. Kapitel 6. Abschnitt).

Help please!!

@ 2007-12-07 12:21                     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Am 07.12.2007 um 11:46 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>> 2007/12/7, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de>:
>>> I had a closer look at the specific lines and now I guess I found the
>>> change:
>>>
>>> [e.g.] AGB|-|Recht
>>>
>>> There is no hyphenation at |-| points anymore!!!
>>>

>>> How could this happen?
>>>
>>> Steffen
>> Can you make a small example, I tried the following example on the
>> wiki
>> and the second line is always broken, the first only with PDFTeX
>> but not
>> with XeTeX.
>

> (it was set with pdftex)
>

> I made some tests: In some cases |-| still works (it looks to me as
> if the priorities in the linebraking rules were mixed up?! But this
> can't be ...).
>
> Thus it is not so easy to make a representative example.
> But look at the following, simulating a real example:
>
> \usetypescript[postscript][ec]
> \setupencoding[default=ec]
> \mainlanguage[de]
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> \showframe
>

> \setupbodyfont[postscript,14.5pt]
>   \def\myFNnumber#1{\hskip1.15em{\switchtobodyfont[8pt]#1}\enskip}
>
> \setupfootnotedefinition[command=
> \myFNnumber,indentnext=yes,location=serried]
>
> \starttext
>
> \setnumber[footnote]{217}% this is broken, the next FN-number should
> be 218
>
> text\footnote{S. aber zu einer allgemeinen Regulierung von
> Selbstverpflichtungen und normersetzenden Absprachen §§\,35, 36 UGB|-|
> KomE und die dazu gehörige Begründung UGB|-|KomE S.\,501\,ff., sowie
> §§\,130 - 136 IGB (3.\,Teil 1.\,Kapitel 6.\,Abschnitt). }.
>
> \stoptext
>

> Now the line breaking is as such:

Your new lines end like this,

> 218
> allgemeinen Regulierung von Selbstverpflichtungen und normer-
> chen §§ 35, 36 UGB-KomE und die dazu gehörige Begründung UGB-
> wie §§ 100 -136 IGB (3. Teil 1. Kapitel 6.  Abschnitt).

right?

I still get this, from the latest context 2007.12.06 22:52 MKII:

> Four months ago the same text came out like this:
> 218
>  .iner allgemeinen Regulierung von Selbstverpflund normerset-
>  §§ 35, 36 UGB-KomE und die dazu gehörige Begründung UGB-KomE
> 136 IGB (3. Teil 1. Kapitel 6. Abschnitt).
>
> Help please!!

I also tried with 2007.08.09, with identical results. Together,
this hints at a difference in one of your local files that has
crept in over the past four months.

If you can't find it, try running with \loggingall and email
me that (zipped!), so I can compare your stuff with mine.

Best wishes,
Taco