* A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 20:21 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-06-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm preparing a leaflet in ConTeXt.  The leaflet is typeset in a
landscape orientation on an A6 sheet, and it is going to be printed 8
times on an A3 sheet.  My problems are:

1. How to achieve such an effect using \setuparranging?
\setuparranging[2*8] didn't work for me.  (I'm using MkIV; below is a
minimal example showing my problem.)

\setuppapersize[A6,landscape][A3]
\setuparranging[2*8]

\starttext

\dorecurse{15}{\input knuth }
\stoptext

2. I'd like to get crop marks, in this case short (5mm) lines showing
where to cut the sheet, located near the borders, but *within* the
printable area.  How to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 20:43 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-05 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-06-05 Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> The leaflet is typeset in a
> landscape orientation on an A6 sheet, and it is going to be printed 8
> times on an A3 sheet.

The same leaflet? Then you don't need \setuparranging

\setuppapersize [A6,landscape] [A3]

\setuppagenumbering [location=]
\setupbackgrounds   [page] [background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
\setupbodyfont      [sans, 58pt]
\setuplayout        [nx=2, ny=4, marking=on]

\starttext
\dorecurse{4}
  {\null\vfill\centerline\recurselevel\vfill\null\page}
\stoptext

> 2. I'd like to get crop marks, in this case short (5mm) lines showing
> where to cut the sheet, located near the borders, but *within* the
> printable area.

Since eight A6 pages exactly fit on one A3 page the crop marks can
only be *inside* the printable area. That means with marking=on
you'll see three marks in the middle of the page. When you also
want them to show up at the page borders, you have to fire up
MetaPost.

Marco

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 20:55   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-06-05 Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:

> > 2. I'd like to get crop marks, in this case short (5mm) lines showing
> > where to cut the sheet, located near the borders, but *within* the
> > printable area.
>
> Since eight A6 pages exactly fit on one A3 page the crop marks can
> only be *inside* the printable area. That means with marking=on
> you'll see three marks in the middle of the page. When you also
> want them to show up at the page borders, you have to fire up
> MetaPost.

Or you can draw frames around the pages.

\setuppapersize     [A6,landscape] [A3]
\setuppagenumbering [location=]
\setupbodyfont      [sans, 58pt]
\setuplayout        [nx=2, ny=4]
\setupbackgrounds   [page] [background=cropmarks, setups=cropmarks]
\definelayer        [cropmarks] [state=repeat]

\startsetups cropmarks
  \doifoddpageelse{}{%
    \setlayerframed [cropmarks]
      [frame=off,
       bottomframe=on,
       leftframe=on,
       width=\paperwidth,
       height=\paperheight]{}}
\stopsetups

\starttext
\dorecurse{4}
  {\null\vfill\centerline\recurselevel\vfill\null\page}
\stoptext

I don't know why the frame is missing on the first page.

Marco

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 20:56   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-06-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-06-05, wto o godzinie 22:43 +0200, Marco pisze:
> On 2012-06-05 Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>
> > The leaflet is typeset in a
> > landscape orientation on an A6 sheet, and it is going to be printed 8
> > times on an A3 sheet.
>
> The same leaflet? Then you don't need \setuparranging
>
> \setuppapersize [A6,landscape] [A3]
>
> \setuppagenumbering [location=]
> \setupbackgrounds   [page] [background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
> \setupbodyfont      [sans, 58pt]
> \setuplayout        [nx=2, ny=4, marking=on]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{4}
>   {\null\vfill\centerline\recurselevel\vfill\null\page}
> \stoptext

Thanks a lot, it works like a charm!

> > 2. I'd like to get crop marks, in this case short (5mm) lines showing
> > where to cut the sheet, located near the borders, but *within* the
> > printable area.
>
> Since eight A6 pages exactly fit on one A3 page the crop marks can
> only be *inside* the printable area. That means with marking=on
> you'll see three marks in the middle of the page. When you also
> want them to show up at the page borders, you have to fire up
> MetaPost.

I was afraid of that...  Any ideas how to achieve it?  (I know a bit of
MetaPost, but I don't have any clue how to achieve this.)

> Marco

Greetings

--

@ 2012-06-05 21:19     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-06-05 Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:

> […]
>
> \startsetups cropmarks
>   \doifoddpageelse{}{%
>     \setlayerframed [cropmarks]
>       [frame=off,
>        bottomframe=on,
>        leftframe=on,
>        width=\paperwidth,
>        height=\paperheight]{}}
> \stopsetups
>
> […]
>
> I don't know why the frame is missing on the first page.

\startsetups cropmarks
  \setlayerframed [cropmarks]
    [frame=off,
     bottomframe=on,
     leftframe=on,
     width=\paperwidth,
     height=\paperheight]{}
\stopsetups

This also prints the marks on the first page. If you want just short
crop marks instead of continuous lines, you really have to use
MetaPost.

Marco

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 21:26       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-05 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.06.2012 um 23:19 schrieb Marco:

> On 2012-06-05 Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:
>
>> […]
>>
>> \startsetups cropmarks
>>  \doifoddpageelse{}{%
>>    \setlayerframed [cropmarks]
>>      [frame=off,
>>       bottomframe=on,
>>       leftframe=on,
>>       width=\paperwidth,
>>       height=\paperheight]{}}
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> […]
>>
>> I don't know why the frame is missing on the first page.
>
> \startsetups cropmarks
>  \setlayerframed [cropmarks]
>    [frame=off,
>     bottomframe=on,
>     leftframe=on,
>     width=\paperwidth,
>     height=\paperheight]{}
> \stopsetups

There is no need for layers because you can use \framed in a overlay

  \setupbackgrounds [page] [background=cropmarks]
  \defineoverlay [cropmarks] [{\framed[frame=off,bottomframe=on,leftframe=on,width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]{}}]

and even this is overkill because you can just enable the rules of the page frame

  \setupbackgrounds [page] [leftframe=on,bottomframe=on]

Wolfgang

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 21:36         ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-06-05 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> There is no need for layers because you can use \framed in a overlay

Sure I can do that. But what's the advantage of using an overlay?
I find layers to be more flexible.

> and even this is overkill because you can just enable the rules of the page frame
>
>   \setupbackgrounds [page] [leftframe=on,bottomframe=on]

That's neat!

Marco

* Re: A problem with arranging pages
@ 2012-06-05 21:44           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.06.2012 um 23:36 schrieb Marco:

> On 2012-06-05 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no need for layers because you can use \framed in a overlay
>
> Sure I can do that. But what's the advantage of using an overlay?

In this case performance.

> I find layers to be more flexible.

1. When you define a layer a overlay with the same name is created because multiple layers are combined in an overlay.

2. You can combine a layer and an overlay to avoid the setups method (search for \tightlayer).

Wolfgang