On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 01:05 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote: > hm, suspicious Really? It's over 300 pages in length and contains plenty of vector graphics (more text). But actually that 70 MB seems an overestimate and I must have been looking at something else. > yes, that's best because as soon as that command is called, the set > value of 'level' is used, no matter what other values has been set Here is the result of some experimentation: 23,396,929 Bytes using just \setupbackend[level=9]. 21,945,243 Bytes using the aforementioned, \pdfcompresslevel9, and \maximumpdfcompression. 23,396,827 Bytes using none of those three. So I guess I'm still not sure which one to use since the one you said should be sufficient doesn't seem to compress it fully. > never use \pdf* commands directly .. way too low level and use the oher > command only for fast tests (i use it in small test files) Understood. -- Kip Warner -- Software Engineer OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred http://www.thevertigo.com