* annotated text: main text in narrower text, annotations on the right
@ 2016-09-29 14:23 MF
From: MF @ 2016-09-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,
I need a feature like the one described in http://www.pragma-ade.nl/gen
eral/magazines/mag-1102-mkiv.pdf for annotated verbatim,
but for normal text.

Think about the main text flowing in a narrower text, with the
annotations (like unnumbered sidenotes) in a widened right margin.

Or think about a right margin moved left locally, as long as you need
annotated text.

Thanks,
Massi

* Re: annotated text: main text in narrower text, annotations on the right
@ 2016-09-29 18:45 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-09-29 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> MF <mailto:massifr@fastwebnet.it>
> 29. September 2016 um 16:23
> Hello list,
> I need a feature like the one described in http://www.pragma-ade.nl/gen
> eral/magazines/mag-1102-mkiv.pdf for annotated verbatim,
> but for normal text.
Which feature from verbatim annotations do you need because style and color
changes can be applied in normal text without problems.

Wolfgang

* Re: annotated text: main text in narrower text, annotations on the right
@ 2016-09-29 22:09   ` mf
From: mf @ 2016-09-29 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>  Which feature from verbatim annotations do you need because style
> and color
> changes can be applied in normal text without problems.
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks for the answer, Wolfgang.

That's not style and color, it's a sort of two-column layout with the
main text in the left column and annotations (comments) in the right
one.
Example (it does not work):

\starttext

This is the main text\sidenote{annotation} flowing in the left
column...

\stoptext

resulting in

|This is the main text flowing   | annotation               |
|in the left column...           |                          |

You can do it with setuplayout and a wider right margin, using \inright
for annotations, but it's for the whole document or a whole page.
Is that possibile only for a section of text inside a page?

Best regards,

@ 2016-09-30 10:04     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-09-30 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> mf <mailto:massifr@fastwebnet.it>
> 30. September 2016 um 00:09
>
> Thanks for the answer, Wolfgang.
>
> That's not style and color, it's a sort of two-column layout with the
> main text in the left column and annotations (comments) in the right
> one.
This is not a real multcolumn text because in verbatim text each space
in the input appear also in the output and in the examples spaces
where used to align the code comments on the same position.
> Example (it does not work):
>
> \starttext
>
> This is the main text\sidenote{annotation} flowing in the left
> column...
>
> \stoptext
>
> resulting in
>
> |This is the main text flowing   | annotation               |
> |in the left column...           |                          |
>
> You can do it with setuplayout and a wider right margin, using \inright
> for annotations, but it's for the whole document or a whole page.
> Is that possibile only for a section of text inside a page?
You can use the narrower environment to change the margins for a certain
text area and use the paragraphs environment to create two columns
with different widths in this area.

%% begin example
\definenarrower
   [SidenotesMargin]
   [before=\blank,
    after=\blank,
    right=\rightmarginwidth,
    default=-right]

\defineparagraphs[Sidenotes]
\setupparagraphs [Sidenotes]
[n=2,before={\startnarrow[SidenotesMargin]},after=\stopnarrow]
\setupparagraphs [Sidenotes:1][width=.6\localhsize,distance=.1\localhsize]
\setupparagraphs [Sidenotes:2][width=.3\localhsize]

\starttext

\input knuth

\startparagraphs[Sidenotes]
     \startparagraphscell
         \input knuth
     \stopparagraphscell
     \startparagraphscell
         \input ward
     \stopparagraphscell
\stopparagraphs

\input knuth

\stoptext
%% end example

Wolfgang

* Re: annotated text: main text in narrower text, annotations on the right
@ 2016-09-30 16:43     ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-09-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Massi,

Why don't you try this kind of parallel paragraphs ?

% \setuppapersize[A5]
\defineparagraphs[TwoThird][n=2]
% The second paragraph width is automatically calculated, if not specified.
\setupparagraphs[TwoThird][1][width=.66\textwidth]
\starttext
\startTwoThird
quotation{...{\it pourquoi y a-t-il quelque chose plutôt que rien ?}
Parce que rien n’est plus simple et facile que quelque chose.
Plus loin, sachant que les choses existent,
on doit être en mesure d’expliquer
{\it pourquoi elles existent ainsi,}
et pas autrement.}
\nextTwoThird
G. W. Leibniz, {\it\fr Principes de la nature et de la grâce fondés en raison,} 1714.
\stopTwoThird
\stoptext

Another solution is :

\defineparagraphs[TwoColumns][n=2,align=verytolerant]
\startsetups[TwoColumns]
\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
\stopsetups
\setupparagraphs[TwoColumns:2][inner=\directsetup{TwoColumns}]

\starttext
\input tufte

% here start the twocolumns
\startTwoColumns

\startlines
{\bf ontact information}
Adeimantos
3 Achaion Street
Attica
Gr - 11852 Athens
adeimantos@uc.cy

{\bf Edition}
Essays § Novels

{\bf Development}
Prototype

{\bf Year}
2016

{\bf Private funding}
\$0

\stoplines

% Starting second column
\TwoColumns
\input ward
 \blank
\input ward

\stopTwoColumns

\stoptext

@ 2016-10-02  8:29       ` MF
From: MF @ 2016-10-02  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Wolfgang and Jean-Pierre!

I've modified your example and now it resembles what I was looking for.
Now I can use \inright to get annotations on the right of the main
text,
but inside the width of the normal text.

The annotations are aligned to the line they occur in the main text.

It's somewhat tricky, because I need to leave the second paragraph
empty.
Is there a way to obtain that effect without setupparagraphs?

Anyway it works as I wanted, so now I have a solution.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Massi

%% begin example
\setuplayout[rightmargin=7cm]

\definenarrower
  [SidenotesMargin]
  [before=\blank,
   after=\blank,
   right=-1cm,
   %right=\rightmarginwidth,
   default=-right]

\defineparagraphs[Sidenotes]
\setupparagraphs
[Sidenotes]  [n=2,before={\startnarrow[SidenotesMargin]},after=\stopnar
row]
\setupparagraphs
[Sidenotes:1][width=.55\localhsize,distance=.1\localhsize]
\setupparagraphs [Sidenotes:2][width=.35\localhsize]

\starttext

\input knuth

\startparagraphs[Sidenotes]
  \startparagraphscell
    A paragraph spanning some lines of text
    with sidenotes that should stay aligned\inright{aligned}
    with the text they annotate;
    \input ward
    Some more words\inright{more words,
      spanning more than one line on the margin}
    to control whether the sidenotes are
    aligned with the text they annotate.
  \stopparagraphscell
  \startparagraphscell\stopparagraphscell
\stopparagraphs

\input knuth

\stoptext
%% end example

> > mf
> >         30.
> > September 2016 um 00:09
> >

> > Thanks
> >  for the answer, Wolfgang.
> >
> > That's not style and color, it's a
> > sort of two-column layout with the
> > main text in the left column and
> > annotations (comments) in the right
> > one.
> >

> > This is not a real multcolumn text because in verbatim text each
space

> in the input appear also in the output and in the examples spaces
>
> where used to align the code comments on the same position.
>

> >     Example (it does not work):
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > This is
> > the main text\sidenote{annotation} flowing in the left
> > column...
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > resulting
> >  in
> >
> > |This is the main text flowing   | annotation               |
> > |in
> >  the left column...           |                          |
> >
> > You
> > can do it with setuplayout and a wider right margin, using \inright
> > for
> >  annotations, but it's for the whole document or a whole page.
> > Is
> > that possibile only for a section of text inside a page?
> >

> > You can use the narrower environment to change the margins for a
certain

> text area and use the paragraphs environment to create two columns
>
> with different widths in this area.
>

> %% begin example
>
> \definenarrower
>
>   [SidenotesMargin]
>
>   [before=\blank,
>
>    after=\blank,
>
>    right=\rightmarginwidth,
>
>    default=-right]
>

> \defineparagraphs[Sidenotes]
>
> \setupparagraphs [Sidenotes]
> [n=2,before={\startnarrow[SidenotesMargin]},after=\stopnarrow]
>
> \setupparagraphs
> [Sidenotes:1][width=.6\localhsize,distance=.1\localhsize]
>
> \setupparagraphs [Sidenotes:2][width=.3\localhsize]
>

> \starttext
>

> \input knuth
>

> \startparagraphs[Sidenotes]
>
>     \startparagraphscell
>
>         \input knuth
>
>     \stopparagraphscell
>
>     \startparagraphscell
>
>         \input ward
>
>     \stopparagraphscell
>
> \stopparagraphs
>

> \input knuth
>

> \stoptext
>
> %% end example
>

> Wolfgang

* Footnotes inside and outside a framed text
@ 2016-10-02 12:21         ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-10-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

I am currently writing documents with some framed texts, sometimes with a few footnotes inside these framed texts. The frames are coloured ones using MPGraphic (but  there is no use of MPGraphic in the sample below). The issue is that only footnotes outside of the framed text are printed in the footer, using Windows 10 or Linux Ubuntu, with CTX current version 2016-07-01 or later. What is the way to print the footnote outside of the frame (alternatively, inside of the frame) ?

Thank you very much for your help.
JP

See below the minimal sample :

\defineframedtext
        [MyFrame]
        [before={\blank[3*big]},
         after={\blank[3*big]},
          frame=on,
          background=MyFrame,
  %width=\textwidth,
        width=max,
        height=fit,
        style={\setupbodyfont[9pt]}]

 \starttext
 Here we place some text with a footnote\footnote{This is a first footnote.} before the framed text in order to see how the footnotes are printed by \ConTeXt.

 \input knuth
 \startMyFrame[Title=Attention !]
 This is a frame with no special paragraphs, but a footnote\footnote{This is a second footnote} inside the framed text that \ConTeXt  should print in the page footer.

 \input ward

 \stopMyFrame

 Here we place some text with another footnote\footnote{This is the third footnote. Note that the second footnote in the frame is not printed.} after the framed text in order to test how the footnotes are printed by \ConTeXt ...

 \input knuth
 \stoptext

* Re: Footnotes inside and outside a framed text
@ 2016-10-02 22:47           ` mf
From: mf @ 2016-10-02 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

You should set the footnote text before the frame, with
\footnotetext[id]{text}.
In case you need to set more footnotes, set them in the order they will
be called in your frame (or float, like tables or formulas).

In case you define your own footnotes, use
\setnotetext[yourfootnote][id]{text}.

\footnotetext[id]{text} is the same as
\setnotetext[footnote][id]{text}.

%% begin modified example
\defineframedtext
        [MyFrame]
        [before={\blank[3*big]},
         after={\blank[3*big]},
          frame=on,
          background=MyFrame,
  %width=\textwidth,
        width=max,
        height=fit,
        style={\setupbodyfont[9pt]}]

 \starttext
 Here we place some text with a footnote\footnote{This is a first
footnote.} before the framed text in order to see how the footnotes are
printed by \ConTeXt.

 \input knuth

% we set the footnote text in advance
 \setnotetext[footnote][fn2]{This is a second footnote}
 \startMyFrame[Title=Attention !]
 This is a frame with no special paragraphs,
 but a footnote\note[fn2] % we put only the footnote marker
 inside the framed text that \ConTeXt  should print in the page footer.

 \input ward

 \stopMyFrame

 Here we place some text with another footnote\footnote{This is the
third footnote. Note that the second footnote in the frame is not
printed.} after the framed text in order to test how the footnotes are
printed by \ConTeXt ...

 \input knuth
 \stoptext
%% end modified example

Best regards,
Massi

@ 2016-10-04 15:36             ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-10-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Massi for your help !

@ 2016-10-04 18:44               ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-10-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/04/2016 05:36 PM, Jean-Pierre Delange wrote:
> Thank you Massi for your help !

Sorry for not having answered before, Jean-Pierre.

Last year, Hans replied to a question on the very same issue
(https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083570.html), with
the following code:

    \framed{three\postponenotes\footnote{3}}\flushnotes

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Footnotes inside and outside a framed text
@ 2016-10-05  9:48                 ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-10-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

I'll try very soon your trick as I'll try Massi's.
Thank you very much.