* Re: kap: real?
@ 1998-10-30  8:15 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-30  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

 FG> said Hans Hagen to All:

 HH> \kap is for pseudo kaps.
 HH>
 HH> Use {\sc Frans} for real ones.

 FG> except this would give a strange character instead of the upper
 FG> caps F wouldn't it?

 FG> I made a macro saying

 FG> \def\mykap#1{{\sc #1}}

\def\mycap#1{{\sc \lowercase{#1}}}

Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

* Re: kap: real?
@ 1998-10-30 16:00 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-30 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

>  HH> Well, in a decent small caps font, the uppercase are just the
>  HH> normal uppercase and the lowercase become smaller uppercase. So, if
>  HH> you got a strange character, your font is wrong.
>
> Are you sure? I am convinced that in the expert set that I bought, there
> are small caps, which I get when I use \sc and there are just these small
> caps in the expert set with oldstyle numbers too, but no "lower case" and
> "upper case" small caps.

Hm.

>  HH> \unexpanded\def\mykap#1{{\sc\lowercase{#1}}}
>
> That's slightly longer than Taco's example so I guess it's more deluxe?
> What does the \unexpanded do here?

It makes tests possible, like in \doifelse{whatever \myka{...}
...}{Frans} ....
For the moment, forget about it. E-tex (taco-tex) us supposed to solve
this -).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* kap: real?
@ 1998-10-30 13:59 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-10-30 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

said Hans Hagen  to All:

 HH> Well, in a decent small caps font, the uppercase are just the
 HH> normal uppercase and the lowercase become smaller uppercase. So, if
 HH> you got a strange character, your font is wrong.

Are you sure? I am convinced that in the expert set that I bought, there
are small caps, which I get when I use \sc and there are just these small
caps in the expert set with oldstyle numbers too, but no "lower case" and
"upper case" small caps.

 HH> \unexpanded\def\mykap#1{{\sc\lowercase{#1}}}

That's slightly longer than Taco's example so I guess it's more deluxe?
What does the \unexpanded do here?

Met hartelijke groet!

 Frans Goddijn   | bbs: +31 (0)26 3217041
 Postbus 30196   | email: fg@fgbbs.iaf.nl
 6803 AD Arnhem  | tel: +31 (0)26 3219342
 The Netherlands | http://www.iaf.nl/Users/Meridian
--
You are what you is

* Re: kap: real?
@ 1998-10-30  7:59 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-30  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> said Hans Hagen  to All:
>
>  HH> \kap is for pseudo kaps.
>  HH>
>  HH> Use {\sc Frans} for real ones.
>
> except this would give a strange character instead of the upper caps F
> wouldn't it?

Well, in a decent small caps font, the uppercase are just the normal
uppercase and the lowercase become smaller uppercase. So, if you got a

@ 1998-10-29 15:40 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-10-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-10-29 13:52 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> If I do \kap{cpnb} for small caps, do I get "real" small caps of the fake
> computer generated small caps?

\kap is for pseudo kaps.

Use {\sc Frans} for real ones.

@ 1998-10-29 13:15 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-10-29 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this is one purely for Taco, who set up my Times collection for
ConTeXt, but it might be of interest to others too...

If I do \kap{cpnb} for small caps, do I get "real" small caps of the fake
computer generated small caps?

I suppose I could find out. If the small caps are real than \kap{CPnb}
should show weird characters for the first two upper caps characters.