From: Taco Hoekwater <taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: How to get the figure size
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:26:09 +0000 (/etc/localtime)	[thread overview]

    Gilbert> O yeah, and another problem: I use ActivateState perl,
    Gilbert> and some DJGPP perl (you know, a port that runs under
    Gilbert> DOS/WIN/OS/2 *and* win95 and it has long filename
    Gilbert> support) and there are some differences:

    Gilbert> - The DJGPP port is much faster (and I mean a lot faster
    Gilbert> here)

Likely cause: the DJGPP port is compiled with "gcc -03". Speed
optimizations on Windows compilers are usually off because the result
code is too buggy to be usable.  Also, the DJGPP port uses dpmi
memory. Silly, but that is sometimes faster dan "real" windows memory
(no page swapping inside the allocated block).  On the down side: the
rest of your machine will swap much harder. And another: no dll
code. loading dll's is *slow*. And yet another: Windows almost only
calls the scheduler/task switcher on Win32 syscalls, which of course
DJGPP almost never executes...

    Gilbert> - The DJGPP port does globbbing correct, e.g.: texutil
    Gilbert> --figures --epspage *.eps works fine, while the
    Gilbert> ActiveState port doesn't (texutil says it doesn't know
    Gilbert> any figures *.eps).

Install bash ;-) The problem is command.com, not perl. It so happens
that DJGPP has a built-in fix and the windows don't. Hans, I thought
we had fixed that with use File::DosGlob etc?

    Gilbert> Perhaps I did something completely wrong (Ok, Wybo, I'll
    Gilbert> switch to Linux some day). I have to stick to the

Definately helps.

    Gilbert> ActiveState port because I use perl/Tk and ODBC database
    Gilbert> connectivity, which doesn't run under the DJGPP port.

Taco