* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-22 12:13 Thomas Esser
From: Thomas Esser @ 1999-04-22 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> For me, the 'other text files' doesn't work at all:
>
> -show-path:    .:/home/srahtz/texlive/source/texmf/context//
>
> I'm guessing this is the compile-time default, but I don't know what
> variable to set and where.

This is a bug of older web2c versions. I don't know when this was fixed.
The current web2c-7.3 (which is not yet officially released) is ok. So
are my teTeX-0.9 betas.

Thomas

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-22 14:28 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-04-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: E.H.M.Frambach, ntg-context

    >> For me, the 'other text files' doesn't work at all:
    >>
    >> -show-path: .:/home/srahtz/texlive/source/texmf/context//
    >>
    >> I'm guessing this is the compile-time default, but I don't know
    >> what variable to set and where.

    Thomas> This is a bug of older web2c versions. I don't know when
    Thomas> this was fixed.  The current web2c-7.3 (which is not yet
    Thomas> officially released) is ok. So are my teTeX-0.9 betas.

d**n, I hate it when this happens! Ugrading my TeX installation(s) is
far from trivial, so I'd rather wait until 7.3 is finalized (did a
quick hack instead: I now have Sebastian's file system on my disk as
symlink...). Thanks for the info though.

Taco

* Re: texexec
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-06-19 21:46 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-19 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 04 May 2006 18:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
> strong objections to this?
>
> Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that purpose
> i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the default stubs
> that one can copy to some bin path
>
> Hans

I am of the school of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Ruby
seems to be one of those small-market languages like Lisp etc.
and I worry when important software becomes dependent on such
things. For example Xindy is dependent on I think Lisp and that
has handicapped its development and acceptance majorly. If
Slackware decides not to include Ruby any more then I will have a
problem.

Of course as the developer you need to use the tool that fits your
hand best. And I did test out newtexexec (through a clumsy call)
and it seemed to work ok. I think the messages are different
however. I will have to do a differential to make sure.

Are there things that can be done in Ruby that can't be done
conveniently in Perl? Conversely, are there things that can be
done in Perl that are more elegant than what can be done in Ruby?
I am thinking of perl/Tk for a nice gui interface for example.

Just worrying out loud.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-06-19 21:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-19 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 18:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
>> strong objections to this?
>>
>> Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that purpose
>> i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the default stubs
>> that one can copy to some bin path
>>
>> Hans

>>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>>
>>                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

> I am of the school of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Ruby
> seems to be one of those small-market languages like Lisp etc.
> and I worry when important software becomes dependent on such
> things. For example Xindy is dependent on I think Lisp and that
> has handicapped its development and acceptance majorly. If
> Slackware decides not to include Ruby any more then I will have a
> problem.

actually, i think that in the end slackware will have a problem; i
remember that when we found out that the mac didn't carry ruby, someone
contacted the right people and it was in the next upgrade.

also, one sees major apps showing up done in ruby, so it's a matter of
time;   if one sees what gets installed  by default (when installing
linux),  i wonder why ruby isn't; on windows i think one always has to
install languages

(what worries me more is that one cannot depend on e.g. unzip being
present)

> Of course as the developer you need to use the tool that fits your
> hand best. And I did test out newtexexec (through a clumsy call)
> and it seemed to work ok. I think the messages are different
> however. I will have to do a differential to make sure.

i used the ruby variant for quite some time now and its ok (and even
better that the original)
> Are there things that can be done in Ruby that can't be done
> conveniently in Perl? Conversely, are there things that can be
> done in Perl that are more elegant than what can be done in Ruby?
> I am thinking of perl/Tk for a nice gui interface for example.

they are all lanuages, and they all come with libraries (nowadays most
programming languages come with similar libraries) so that is no problem

tk is supported in perl, python and ruby

personally i consider programming in ruby to be more elegant so in the
end all perl stuff will be converted (just take a look in context/ruby,
there are already quite some scripts there)
> Just worrying out loud.

no problem,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-15 23:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-15 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

frantisek holop wrote:
> hmm, on Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:03:15AM +0200, Hans Hagen said that
>
>> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
>> strong objections to this?
>>
>> Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that
>> purpose i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the
>> default stubs that one can copy to some bin path
>>

> just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why ruby was chosen?
> was something wrong with perl?  will the next one (newnewtexexec) be in
> python? :)))

it's all a matter of taste. i like ruby and after working with it for a whiel decided that i could write better / cleaner code in ruby than in perl; i skipped python (didn't like some of its syntax); i'll stick to ruby (and later on lua for embedded tex stuff, but that's another story); so, there wil not be a texexec.py

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-15 22:55 ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-05-15 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:03:15AM +0200, Hans Hagen said that
> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
> strong objections to this?
>
> Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that
> purpose i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the
> default stubs that one can copy to some bin path

just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why ruby was chosen?
was something wrong with perl?  will the next one (newnewtexexec) be in
python? :)))

-f
--
the sex was so good the neighbors lit cigarettes.

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-08  0:37         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-08  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> we run newtexexec on windows and linux without problems (system calls in
>>> perl are actually more problematic, or at least in th epast few years
>>> differences between platforms have given me many headaches)

>>> you mean that ok is false?
>>>

>> Yes. For some reason, system(...) returns false whenever there is > in
>> the command. Maybe, in the future, the functionality of mpto can be
>> incorporated into (new)texexec. This is not needed right away, as I
>> managed to get rid of the mess in my system by using cygwin binaries
>> for ruby.
>>
> how about using the code:
>
>                File.silentdelete(mptex)
>                command = "mpto #{mpname} > #{mptex}"
>                report(command) if getvariable('verbose')
>                ok = system(command)
>                # not "ok && ..." because of potential problem with
> return code and redirect (>)
>                if FileTest.file?(mptex) && File.appended(mptex,
> "\\end\n") then
>
> so, instead of testing for a return code we test for a file existence

That will also not work as the system command fails. mptex file is
never creaeted, so FileTest.file?(mptex) will also return false.

>> I am still confused on why windows ruby have trouble with cgywin being
>> present, but I will leave debugging that to future. Right now,
>> newtexec is working correctly.
>>
> well, the problem is probably cygwin being present -)

True. It is a ruby issue. I guess, if one has cygwin installed, then
use ruby cygwin. There are some ruby gems that do not work with
cygwin-ruby and need the windows-ruby. But, I can manage without them,
but not without context :)

Aditya
--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-07 21:53     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-07 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Aditya's example works OK here (no cygwin installed; not one-click
installer, but extracted files + bin path set, ruby 1.9.0 (2005-07-22)
[i386-mswin32]). But I remember having problems on computers where
cygwin was installed.

Even if you run ruby from cmd.exe: if cygwin resides in your path, so
does ruby if you have it under cygwin.

On 5/7/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby test.rb
> > mpto mp-test-01.mp
> >
> actually, i can best write an mpto function in ruby -)

mpto is only 350 lines long and pretty primitive. If that would solve
the "textext" problem, it would be great. I think that most scripts in
ConTeXt are much more complex than this one would be. (And you could
have better control over "parallelisation" of strings and so on ...)

Are there any news about textext and "unknown"s?

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-07 21:15       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> Is ruby stable with respect to system calls? Is the behaviour
>>> consistent on Linux and Windows? Are there active Ruby users on the
>>> list who can comment on this?
>>>

>> we run newtexexec on windows and linux without problems (system calls in
>> perl are actually more problematic, or at least in th epast few years
>> differences between platforms have given me many headaches)
>>
>>> I have debugged my recent failure of metapost graphics to using
>>> one-click installer (RC2) for windows. From tex.rb
>>>
>>>    report(command) if getvariable('verbose')
>>>    ok = system(command)
>>>    if ok && File.appended(mptex, "\\end\n") then
>>>

>>> This is failing on my system. Can others using windows test this.
>>>

>> you mean that ok is false?
>>

> Yes. For some reason, system(...) returns false whenever there is > in
> the command. Maybe, in the future, the functionality of mpto can be
> incorporated into (new)texexec. This is not needed right away, as I
> managed to get rid of the mess in my system by using cygwin binaries
> for ruby.

how about using the code:

                File.silentdelete(mptex)
                command = "mpto #{mpname} > #{mptex}"
                report(command) if getvariable('verbose')
                ok = system(command)
                # not "ok && ..." because of potential problem with
return code and redirect (>)
                if FileTest.file?(mptex) && File.appended(mptex,
"\\end\n") then

so, instead of testing for a return code we test for a file existence

> I am still confused on why windows ruby have trouble with cgywin being
> present, but I will leave debugging that to future. Right now,
> newtexec is working correctly.

well, the problem is probably cygwin being present -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-07 19:30     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby test.rb
>> mpto mp-test-01.mp
>>
> actually, i can best write an mpto function in ruby -)

That will be great. The lesser external dependencies, the better :)

Aditya

--

@ 2006-05-07 19:29     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> I get.
>>
>> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby --version
>> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
>>
>> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby test.rb
>> mpto mp-test-01.mp
>> \gdef\mpxshipout{\shipout\hbox\bgroup
>>    \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup}
>> \gdef\stopmpxshipout{\egroup  \dimen0=\ht0 \advance\dimen0\dp0
>>    \dimen1=\ht0 \dimen2=\dp0
>>    \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup
>>      \box0
>>      \ifnum\dimen0>0 \vrule width1sp height\dimen1 depth\dimen2
>>      \else \vrule width1sp height1sp depth0sp\relax
>>      \fi\egroup
>>    \ht0=0pt \dp0=0pt \box0 \egroup}
>> \mpxshipout% line 2 mp-test-01.mp
>> This is a test\stopmpxshipout
>> \end{document}
>> true
>> 0
>> ---------------------------
>> mpto mp-test-01.mp > mp-test-01-test.tex
>> false
>> 0
>> ---------------------------
>>

>> Notice that the second test is failing. So, in tex.rb, the system
>> command fails and I do not get mp-test-01-test.tex file! Can anyone
>> else using one-click installer for ruby on windows confirm this?
>>
> i get (standard ruby install):
>
>> ruby --version
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

Now, using ruby cygwin port

>ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-cygwin]

And the test works fine. I get true for both cases. I do not know what
went wrong with the one-click installer. I asked on the ruby mailing
list, and others with one-click installer did not have this problem.
Must be due some wierd setting on my system. :(

--

@ 2006-05-07 19:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby test.rb
> mpto mp-test-01.mp

actually, i can best write an mpto function in ruby -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-07 19:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> I get.
>
> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby --version
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
>
> F:\tmp\cont-test\test>ruby test.rb
> mpto mp-test-01.mp
> \gdef\mpxshipout{\shipout\hbox\bgroup
>    \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup}
> \gdef\stopmpxshipout{\egroup  \dimen0=\ht0 \advance\dimen0\dp0
>    \dimen1=\ht0 \dimen2=\dp0
>    \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup
>      \box0
>      \ifnum\dimen0>0 \vrule width1sp height\dimen1 depth\dimen2
>      \else \vrule width1sp height1sp depth0sp\relax
>      \fi\egroup
>    \ht0=0pt \dp0=0pt \box0 \egroup}
> \mpxshipout% line 2 mp-test-01.mp
> This is a test\stopmpxshipout
> \end{document}
> true
> 0
> ---------------------------
> mpto mp-test-01.mp > mp-test-01-test.tex
> false
> 0
> ---------------------------
>

> Notice that the second test is failing. So, in tex.rb, the system
> command fails and I do not get mp-test-01-test.tex file! Can anyone
> else using one-click installer for ruby on windows confirm this?

i get (standard ruby install):

>ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

>ruby test.rb
mpto mp-test-01.mp
\gdef\mpxshipout{\shipout\hbox\bgroup
  \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup}
\gdef\stopmpxshipout{\egroup  \dimen0=\ht0 \advance\dime
  \dimen1=\ht0 \dimen2=\dp0
  \setbox0=\hbox\bgroup
    \box0
    \ifnum\dimen0>0 \vrule width1sp height\dimen1 depth\
    \else \vrule width1sp height1sp depth0sp\relax
    \fi\egroup
  \ht0=0pt \dp0=0pt \box0 \egroup}
\mpxshipout% line 2 mp-test-01.mp
This is a test\stopmpxshipout
\end{document}
true
0
---------------------------
mpto mp-test-01.mp > mp-test-01-test.tex
true
0

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-07 18:34     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 May 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
>>> strong objections to this?
>>>

>> Is ruby stable with respect to system calls? Is the behaviour
>> consistent on Linux and Windows? Are there active Ruby users on the
>> list who can comment on this?
>>
> we run newtexexec on windows and linux without problems (system calls in
> perl are actually more problematic, or at least in th epast few years
> differences between platforms have given me many headaches)
>> I have debugged my recent failure of metapost graphics to using
>> one-click installer (RC2) for windows. From tex.rb
>>
>>    report(command) if getvariable('verbose')
>>    ok = system(command)
>>    if ok && File.appended(mptex, "\\end\n") then
>>

>> This is failing on my system. Can others using windows test this.
>>
> you mean that ok is false?

Yes. For some reason, system(...) returns false whenever there is > in
the command. Maybe, in the future, the functionality of mpto can be
incorporated into (new)texexec. This is not needed right away, as I
managed to get rid of the mess in my system by using cygwin binaries
for ruby.

>> Notice that the second test is failing. So, in tex.rb, the system
>> command fails and I do not get mp-test-01-test.tex file! Can anyone
>> else using one-click installer for ruby on windows confirm this?
>>
> i must check that (i don't use the one click installer) \

Turns out that the problem is not with the one click installer. It has
to do with the fact that I also had cygwin installed (even though I
was using cmd.exe for tests). I have installed cygwin ruby and
everything (at least everything related to context) work fine.

The conclusion seems to be that for windows either:
i) If you do not use cygwin, use any precompiled port of ruby
or
ii) If you have cygwin, use the cygwin port of ruby
or
iii) Compile your own binaries. :)

@ 2006-05-07 18:14   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> [...]
>      \box0
>      \ifnum\dimen0>0 \vrule width1sp height\dimen1 depth\dimen2
>      \else \vrule width1sp height1sp depth0sp\relax
>      \fi\egroup
>    \ht0=0pt \dp0=0pt \box0 \egroup}
> \mpxshipout% line 2 mp-test-01.mp
> This is a test\stopmpxshipout
> \end{document}
> true
> 0
> ---------------------------
> mpto mp-test-01.mp > mp-test-01-test.tex
> false
> 0
> ---------------------------
>

> Notice that the second test is failing. So, in tex.rb, the system
> command fails and I do not get mp-test-01-test.tex file! Can anyone
> else using one-click installer for ruby on windows confirm this?

i must check that (i don't use the one click installer) \

* Re: texexec
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-06 23:01 ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-06 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-05-05 15:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Nice, I don't have to use texmfstart newtexexec.rb my_doc anymore (and
> don't have to think to make a stub !!! ;) )
>
> What about the perl script for the future ?
>
> Hans
it will stay around for a while

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-05 14:09 ` Steve Peter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Peter @ 2006-05-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 4, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there
> any
> strong objections to this?

I think Ruby is now installed on enough machines out there. At this
point, I have no objection to the switchover.

Steve

* Re: texexec
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-05 13:36 ` Renaud AUBIN
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-05-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
>strong objections to this?
>
>Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that purpose i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the default stubs that one can copy to some bin path
>
>Hans

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-05 13:26 ` Steve Grathwohl
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Grathwohl @ 2006-05-05 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/4/06, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
> strong objections to this?
>
> Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that purpose
> i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the default stubs
> that one can copy to some bin path
>
> Hans

Fine by me. I've been using the ruby for it seems like forever.

Steve

--
Steve Grathwohl || Digital Content Developer
Duke University Press Journals || +1 919 687 3634

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-05  6:10 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2006-05-05  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/5/06, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
> strong objections to this?

OK

* Re: texexec
@ 2006-05-04 23:59 ` Jilani Khaldi
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2006-05-04 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
>strong objections to this?

Good news! Do it.

jk

--
Jilani KHALDI
http://jkhaldi.oltrelinux.com

* texexec
@ 2006-05-04 22:03 Hans Hagen
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-04 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to make the ruby version of texexec the default. Are there any
strong objections to this?

Also, i'd like the stubs to run texmfstart as launcher. For that purpose i'll add a /scripts/context/stubs/[mswin|unix] path with the default stubs that one can copy to some bin path

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Texexec
@ 2003-07-04 23:39   ` Marshall Ward
From: Marshall Ward @ 2003-07-04 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thanks so much for the quick response, but it still didn't work.  We had
to make do with A4, not big deal.  However, maybe I should submit this as
a bug since I really think I've tried every option shown in the help.
Texexec is the ONLY free Linux software I could find that could merge
encrypted PDFs without any loss in quality!

Here's what I did:

##### pdfinfo #####

[mdw162@twain tmp]$ pdfinfo testcert10.pdf
Title:        Seagate Crystal Reports - 23C5F
Author:       mward00@THISTOWN
Creator:      PScript5.dll Version 5.2
Producer:     Jaws PDF Creator v3.00.1343
CreationDate: Thu Jun 26 17:09:51 2003
Tagged:       no
Pages:        1
Encrypted:    yes (print:yes copy:no change:no addNotes:no)
Page size:    612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:    101763 bytes
Optimized:    no
PDF version:  1.3

[mdw162@twain tmp]$ pdfinfo testcert11.pdf
Title:        Seagate Crystal Reports - 23C5F
Author:       mward00@THISTOWN
Creator:      PScript5.dll Version 5.2
Producer:     Jaws PDF Creator v3.00.1343
CreationDate: Thu Jun 26 17:09:51 2003
Tagged:       no
Pages:        1
Encrypted:    yes (print:yes copy:no change:no addNotes:no)
Page size:    612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:    101763 bytes
Optimized:    no
PDF version:  1.3

##### ACTUAL COMMAND #####

[mdw162@twain tmp]$ texexec --pdfarrange --paper=letter*letter --print=2up
--result=out.pdf testcert10.pdf testcert11.pdf

### Output attached as out.log ###

##### RESILT FILE INFO #####

[mdw162@twain tmp]$ pdfinfo out.pdf
Creator:      TeX
Producer:     pdfTeX-0.14h
CreationDate: Fri Jul  4 18:28:00 2003
Tagged:       no
Pages:        2
Encrypted:    no
Page size:    595.276 x 841.89 pts
File size:    202996 bytes
Optimized:    no
PDF version:  1.3

At this point I'm not really asking for help, but trying to maybe help
point out a bug.  It's texexec version 2.6, but if there is any other
info you need please let me know.  Oh --- and I know you're probably not
the main developer/maintainer, but there wasn't one listed.  So I'm going
through you. :-)

Thanks so much for your time and help!
Marshall Ward

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 23:01 01/07/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to combine multiple PDF files. When I run
> >
> >"texexec --pdfarrange *.pdf"
> >
> >it works fine except for one thing: the input is in letter format and the
> >output appears to be in A4.  A little bit of the right side gets cut off.
> >
> >I've tried --mode=letter and a bunch of other options but nothing seems to
> >force texexec to output in letter.
> >
> >Can you help me?
>
> texexec --help pdfarrange
>
> TeXExec 3.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003
>
>           --pdfarrange   arrange pdf pages
>             --addempty   add empty page after
>           --background
>                            =string   : background graphic
>            --backspace   inner margin of the page
>             --markings   add cutmarks
>             --noduplex   single sided
>                --paper   paper format
>          --paperoffset   room left at paper border
>            --textwidth   width of the original (one sided) text
>             --topspace   top/bottom margin of the page
>

> --paper=letter*letter --print=2up
>
> or if you run a recent context --paper=A*B being letter on doubleletter -
> which is actually non existent -
>
> (there is an experimental gui for page imposition; will update/post that
> one soon)
>
> Hans
>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                         information: http://www.pragma-ade.com/roadmap.pdf
>                      documentation: http://www.pragma-ade.com/showcase.pdf

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1) (format=cont-en 2003.6.25)  4 JUL 2003 18:28
entering extended mode
**&cont-en texexec.tex
(./texexec.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.1.28  fmt: 2003.6.25  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
\openout2 = `texexec.tui'.

system         : texexec.top loaded
(./texexec.top
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)
\openout0 = `mpgraph.mp'.

\openout0 = `mprun.mp'.

\openout0 = `mpgraph.mp'.

\openout0 = `mprun.mp'.

 (pdf image page 1) <./testcert10.pdf>
figures        : dimensions of ./testcert10.pdf loaded from figurefile itself
system         : 1.1 arranged at 1
(pdf image page 1) <./testcert11.pdf>
figures        : dimensions of ./testcert11.pdf loaded from figurefile itself
system         : 2.2 arranged at 2
system         : 3.3 arranged at 3
system         : 4.4 arranged at 4
[5.5.0.1] [5.5.0.2]
systems        : end file texexec at line 18
 )
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 623 strings out of 26422
 9280 string characters out of 311630
 365379 words of memory out of 1100001
 27209 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+25000
 9049 words of font info for 28 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 22 hyphenation exceptions out of 10000
 39i,13n,45p,186b,377s stack positions out of 3000i,500n,3000p,50000b,5000s

Output written on texexec.pdf (2 pages, 202996 bytes).

* Re: Texexec
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0307012300450.9436-100000@twain.marshallward .net>
@ 2003-07-02 18:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-07-02 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2003-06-14 11:27       ` Siep Kroonenberg
From: Siep Kroonenberg @ 2003-06-14 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 11:30:08AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 11:01 12/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I've been a debian woody user for a long time, now,
> >and the conclusion I eventually came to was this:
> >
> >  * debian's strict adherence to directory structure
> >    conventions has made the tetex package difficult
> >    to maintain, since it's split into many parts,
> >    spread all over the filesystem.  (This is really
> >    just an inference of mine.)
>
> The nice thing about tex is that it is quite well organized (in its own
> tree) and splitting it up over many places makes it a pain to maintain; for
> instance, do the debian people offer extensive cleanup-remove scripts? I
> wonder how the tex community is supposed to provide support to users if all
> redistributers would change the tex tree organization to their needs.

Debian is pretty good about package management, including clean-up;
for end users such divisions are normally no problem.

I would consider it the responsibility of the Debian teTeX
maintainers to handle problems resulting from their adaptations. But
since I use my own hand-compiled teTeX I have no opinion to offer
how well the Debian teTeX maintainers do their job.

Siep

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siep@elvenkind.com

* Re: texexec
@ 2003-06-14  9:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-14  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:01 12/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been a debian woody user for a long time, now,
>and the conclusion I eventually came to was this:
>
>   * debian's strict adherence to directory structure
>     conventions has made the tetex package difficult
>     to maintain, since it's split into many parts,
>     spread all over the filesystem.  (This is really
>     just an inference of mine.)

The nice thing about tex is that it is quite well organized (in its own
tree) and splitting it up over many places makes it a pain to maintain; for
instance, do the debian people offer extensive cleanup-remove scripts? I
wonder how the tex community is supposed to provide support to users if all
redistributers would change the tex tree organization to their needs.

>   * context has never worked for me in debian, and
>     submitting a bug report looks hopeless, given the
>     long length of the bug list.  I haven't checked
>     in a long time, though.

>   * I wasn't able to use the "equivs" package to get
>     the debian packaging system to accept my own tetex
>     installation, so I could not install, e.g., the
>     docbook-xsl-st package.

>   * finally, I settled on this: install the debian
>     tetex packages but don't use them directly.  Also
>     install teTeX from source in /opt, and set my
>     PATH so that when I say texexec I get the real
>     tetex and not debian's broken tetex.

what i do here is the following:

(1) when a new tex live arrives, i copy this to /tex/texmf
(2) i keep my local context + some fonts in /tex/texmf-local
(3) i put all new fonts (mostly commercial) in /tex/texmf-fonts
(4) i put all the binaries in /tex/texmf-linux/bin|web2c

(so, i also have texmf-mswin, texmf-darwin, etc)

if needed in project, i also have a /tex/texmf-project

I have set up texmf.cnf as well as cont-sys.tex set up in the texmf-local
tree to enable metapost processing

Finally I get rid of all the os specific settings and hook these trees into
the whole:

btw 1, in most cases i just use TEXROOT=/tex
btw 2, i also have a minimal 50 meg main texmf tree which makes tex run
much faster

so, i use tex live (tetex,fptex) as basis and not the linux distributers
alternative

# . setuptex
# mktexlsr
# texexec --make --alone

TEXROOT=/usr/local/tex
export TEXROOT

TEXMFMAIN=$TEXROOT/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL=$TEXROOT/texmf-local
TEXMFFONTS=$TEXROOT/texmf-fonts
TEXMFPROJECT=$TEXROOT/texmf-project
TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux
VARTEXMF=$TEXROOT/texmf-var

export TEXMFMAIN
export TEXMFLOCAL
export TEXMFPROJECT
export TEXMFFONTS
export TEXMFOS
export VARTEXMF

PATH=$TEXMFOS/bin:$PATH
export PATH

HOMETEXMF=
export HOMETEXMF

# the next lines fail on dec alpha os's, so there you need
# to comment them (bug traced down by kees van marle/martin
# corrino)
#
# HOMETEXMF=/nonexist
# export HOMETEXMF

TEXMFCNF=$TEXROOT/texmf{-local,}/web2c
TEXMF='{$TEXMFOS,$TEXMFPROJECT,$TEXMFFONTS,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}'
TEXFORMATS=$TEXMFOS/web2c
TEXPOOL=$TEXFORMATS
MPPOOL=$TEXFORMATS

export TEXMFCNF
export TEXMF
export TEXFORMATS
export TEXPOOL
export MPPOOL

@ 2003-06-13 16:00   ` Raimund Kohl
From: Raimund Kohl @ 2003-06-13 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 12 June 2003 15:18, Raimund Kohl wrote:

On Thursday 12 June 2003 15:18, Raimund Kohl wrote:

> I run Debian Woody 3.01r and if I call
>
> texexec --make de
>
> it says
>
> "warning : texexec.ini not found; try 'texexec --verbose'
>
> TeXExec 2.5 -ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997 - 2001
>
> locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
> locating ini file : not found by searching
> locating ini file : no environment variable set
> locating ini file : not found in own path
>
> so, what am I going to do?  I found "texexec" in
> /usr/share/texmf/context/config ... am I to make a link? Let's say to
> /home/user/texmf?

ok, I made a link to /home/user/texmf.  Running texexec now works ...
seemingly.  But if I process Testfile.tex

\starttex
Hallo Hallo
\stoptext

with texexec Testfile the message is:

TexExec 2.5 ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE ...
  executable : pdftex
         format : cont-en
       inputfile : Testtex
         output : standard
      interface : en
current mode : all
       TeX run : 1

This is pdfTex, Version 3.14159-1.00-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
Sorry, I can't find the format 'cont-en.efmt'; will try 'context.efmt'. I
can't find the format file 'context.efmt'!

How do I deal with that?

ray

* Re: texexec
@ 2003-06-13 15:57   ` Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle @ 2003-06-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-06-12 15:01   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-06-12 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 03:18:01PM +0200, Raimund Kohl wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I love working with ConTeXt, and never had to think about it much since SuSE
> makes it realy easy ... but now I switched to Debian, and all of a sudden
> have to face some trouble :-))
>
> I run Debian Woody 3.01r and if I call

I've been a debian woody user for a long time, now,
and the conclusion I eventually came to was this:

  * debian's strict adherence to directory structure
    conventions has made the tetex package difficult
    to maintain, since it's split into many parts,
    spread all over the filesystem.  (This is really
    just an inference of mine.)

  * context has never worked for me in debian, and
    submitting a bug report looks hopeless, given the
    long length of the bug list.  I haven't checked
    in a long time, though.

  * I wasn't able to use the "equivs" package to get
    the debian packaging system to accept my own tetex
    installation, so I could not install, e.g., the
    docbook-xsl-st package.

  * finally, I settled on this: install the debian
    tetex packages but don't use them directly.  Also
    install teTeX from source in /opt, and set my
    PATH so that when I say texexec I get the real
    tetex and not debian's broken tetex.

Luckily, the price of disk space continues to drop. ;)

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* texexec
@ 2003-06-12 13:18 ` Raimund Kohl
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Raimund Kohl @ 2003-06-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello there,

I love working with ConTeXt, and never had to think about it much since SuSE
makes it realy easy ... but now I switched to Debian, and all of a sudden
have to face some trouble :-))

I run Debian Woody 3.01r and if I call

texexec --make de

it says

"warning : texexec.ini not found; try 'texexec --verbose'

TeXExec 2.5 -ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997 - 2001

locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
locating ini file : not found by searching
locating ini file : no environment variable set
locating ini file : not found in own path

so, what am I going to do?  I found "texexec" in
/usr/share/texmf/context/config ... am I to make a link? Let's say to
/home/user/texmf?

Thanks in advance

ray

* texexec
@ 2003-06-12 13:04 Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle @ 2003-06-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-12-09 19:25 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-12-09 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2002 15:56 schrieb Matthew Huggett:
>      locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
>      locating ini file : not found by searching
>      locating ini file : no environment variable set
>      locating ini file : not found in own path
>              warning : texexec.ini not found, did you read 'texexec.rme'?

Did you run 'texhash' or 'maketexlsr' ?
(That rebuilds the database for kpsewhich)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net
http://www.ramm.ch

* texexec
@ 2002-12-09 14:56 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-12-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I just re-installed TeX (fpTeX) and I have a question about running texexec.
I've followed the instructions in the texexec manual--i.e., customized and
copied texexec.rme to texexec.ini-- but I still get the following error when
I run texexec:
     locating ini file : not found by kpsewhich
     locating ini file : not found by searching
     locating ini file : no environment variable set
     locating ini file : not found in own path
             warning : texexec.ini not found, did you read 'texexec.rme'?

the context/perltk directory is in my path. Any ideas as to what I'm
missing?

thanks in advance

Matt

* Re: texexec
@ 2001-02-12 18:48   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-02-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Ed L Cashin wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it> writes:

> > E.g., when texexec recognizing a LaTeX document,
> > it simply bails out; it would be nice if it closed
> > the cont-?? session and started a latex session
>
> There's no end to features that would be nice, but time is limited.
> I'd much rather have interesting metafun-type stuff than have context
> worrying about my non-context tools.

I agree with Ed completely. Besides, it is not all that simple
to figure out a) what format to use, b) how many times TeX
needs to be run, c) what programs have to be called in-between.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: texexec
@ 2001-02-12 16:35 ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-02-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it> writes:

> E.g., when texexec recognizing a LaTeX document,
> it simply bails out; it would be nice if it closed
> the cont-?? session and started a latex session

There's no end to features that would be nice, but time is limited.
I'd much rather have interesting metafun-type stuff than have context
worrying about my non-context tools.

--
--Ed Cashin                    integrit file verification system
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu          http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

* Re: texexec
@ 2001-02-11 21:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:02 PM 2/10/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm getting so used to ConTeXt that I sometime
>run texexec on my LaTeX documents. So I found
>that it would be nice if texexec had (possibly
>limited) support for non-ConTeXt format, especially
>plain and LaTeX.
>
>I could then link .tex files to texexec without worries.
>
>E.g., when texexec recognizing a LaTeX document,
>it simply bails out; it would be nice if it closed
>the cont-?? session and started a latex session

if you run a latex doc trough context, it should abort, since:

\def\documentstyle%
  {\showmessage{\m!systems}{3}{}
   \stoptekst}

\let\documentclass\documentstyle

>(possibly running enough times to fix cross-refs, plus
>running bibtex and makeindex etc---and stopping after
>no more than 10 --configurable-- runs, to prevent
>hangups when non-converging LaTeX documents are parsed;
>such features are implemented in the MiKTeX program texify).
>Plain support would be even less mess. Is it much work to do?

Implementing it is not so much a problem i think, but my knowledge of latex
is minimal and i never run it. Actually, if i would need it, i would
probably implement it -) Running bibtex is on the todo list anyway.

the "number of runs" limit is already implemented.

>Recognizing a format should not be much work, especially
>if using well-behaved distributions AND well-behaved files
>that use the %&fmtname metacommand. Well, LaTeX files can be
>recognized by \documentclass, anyway. And the user could
>always force in some way the format in case of misrecognitions.

Well, actually texexec can handle other formats:

  texexec --format=plain

works well. And afaik latex works too, so

  texexec --make --make --format=latex.ltx

works too. I didn't test is, but i suppose that

% format=latex

as a first line should work,

@ 2001-02-11  8:23 ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-02-11  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Giuseppe Bilotta (oblomov@freemail.it) wrote:

: I'm getting so used to ConTeXt that I sometime
: run texexec on my LaTeX documents. So I found
: that it would be nice if texexec had (possibly
: limited) support for non-ConTeXt format, especially
: plain and LaTeX.
:
: I could then link .tex files to texexec without worries.

Why not define your own shell script or batch command
which does this simple preprocessing, get used to use
the new command and leave textexec as it is?

Regards,

Marc
--
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:  +353 21 4903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:    +353 21 4903113

* texexec
@ 2001-02-10 19:02 Giuseppe Bilotta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-02-10 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Giuseppe Bilotta

Using Microsoft products is like
having sex without condoms---but
much less pleasurable

* Re: TeXexec
@ 2000-02-08  9:33   ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-02-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:

> Do not provide the extension. Just use:
>
> texexec testfile
>
> That should do it.
>
> Which perl for dos are you using? (use perl --version to find out). It is
> best ti use ActiveState perl (for win32).
>
> Gilbert.

Thank you for answering...

It should not work...
Unfortunately....

I'm using perl version 5004 (??) for Dos.

Dan S.

* Re: TeXexec
@ 2000-02-08  8:33 ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2000-02-08  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But when trying to typeset a file
> texexec testfile.tex

Do not provide the extension. Just use:

texexec testfile

That should do it.

Which perl for dos are you using? (use perl --version to find out). It is
best ti use ActiveState perl (for win32).

Gilbert.

* TeXexec
@ 2000-02-08  6:16 Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-02-08  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody!

I'm comming back with a problem.
I'm using TeXexec downloaded on Jan. 6 from Pragma-ade and I'm using
perl 5 under DOS.

When I made the format files, all were OK:
texexec --make en
worked allright.

But when trying to typeset a file
texexec testfile.tex
or even
texexec --verbose testfile.tex
the system just hanged on!

I tryied the debugger from perl I and see that the script hanged on
parsing the arguments:
elsif (@ARGV)
  { foreach (@ARGV) { $_ =~ s/\.tex//io } @ARGV = <@ARGV> ; RunFiles }
(line 1427).

Can anybody help me??!!!!!

Dan Seracu
e-mail: dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-06-02  7:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-02  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

David Arnold wrote:

> Here is my texexec.ini. I am a Miktex user. See any problems?

> set TeXShell to miktex

> set  UsedInterfaces  to  en
> set  UserInterface   to  en
> set  TeXExecutable   to  tex

> % some private defaults for miktex
>
> for  miktex set  UsedInterfaces     to  en
> for  miktex set  UserInterface      to  en
> for  miktex set  TeXExecutable      to  pdftex
> for  miktex set  MpExecutable       to  mpost
> for  miktex set  MpToTeXExecutable  to  mpto
> for  miktex set  DviToMpExecutable  to  dvitomp
> for  miktex set  TeXFormatFlag      to  &
> for  miktex set  TeXVirginFlag      to  --initialize
> for  miktex set  TeXFormatPath      to  f:/localtexmf/miktex/fmt/
> for  miktex set  ConTeXtPath        to  f:/texmf/tex/context/base/
> %for  miktex set  SetupPath          to  t:/pragma/sources/
> %for  miktex set  TeXScriptsPath  to  t:/pragma/programs/

  SetupPath       could be     f:/texmf/context/config
  TeXScriptsPath  could be     f:/texmf/context/perltk

And the /perltk directory should be in your path (with the runperl
copies)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec
       [not found] <375383E9.3A6BF93E@wxs.nl>
@ 1999-06-01 19:34 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-06-01 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans,

Here is my texexec.ini. I am a Miktex user. See any problems?

% This is texexec.ini, the file used by texexec to determine
% where to
find files, what tex to use, what flags to pass,
% etc. These settings are
based on web2c.

% this should be set to 'myself, tetex, whatever'

%set
TeXShell  to  tetex
%set  TeXShell  to  atpragma
set TeXShell to miktex

%
some defaults

set  UsedInterfaces  to  en
set  UserInterface   to  en
set
 TeXExecutable   to  tex

% some tetex defaults

for  tetex  set
UsedInterfaces    to  nl,en,de,uk
for  tetex  set  UserInterface     to
nl
for  tetex  set  TeXExecutable     to  pdfetex
for  tetex  set
MpExecutable      to  mpost
for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to
mpto
for  tetex  set  DviToMpExecutable to  dvitomp

% some private
defaults

for  atpragma set  UsedInterfaces     to  nl,en
for  atpragma set
 UserInterface      to  nl
for  atpragma set  TeXExecutable      to
pdfetex
for  atpragma set  MpExecutable       to  mpost
for  atpragma set
MpToTeXExecutable  to  mpto
for  atpragma set  DviToMpExecutable  to
dvitomp
for  atpragma set  TeXFormatFlag      to  &
for  atpragma set
TeXVirginFlag      to  -ini
for  atpragma set  TeXFormatPath      to
t:/tex/web2c/fmt/
for  atpragma set  ConTeXtPath        to
t:/pragma/sources/
for  atpragma set  SetupPath          to
t:/pragma/sources/
for  atpragma set  TeXScriptsPath     to
t:/pragma/programs/

At 08:55 AM 6/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]
>% are only needed when the automatic determined settings fail.
>%
>% == interfacing ==
>%
>% UsedInterfaces  nl,en  the formats generated with --make
>% UserInterface   nl     the default format used
>%
>% == binaries ==
>%
>% TeXExecutable      pdfetex  the TeX binary to use
>% MpExecutable       mpost    the MetaPost binary to use
>% MpToTeXExecutable  mpto     the MetaPost to TeX converter
>% DviToMpExecutable  dvitomp  the DVI to MetaPost converter
>%
>% == flags ==
>%
>% TeXFormatFlag  &     the format introducer
>% TeXVirginFlag  -ini  the format generation switch
>%
>% == paths ==
>%
>% TeXFormatPath   texmf/...               fmt files
>% ConTeXtPath     texmf/tex/context/base  sources
>% SetupPath       texmf/tex/base/user     cont-sys/usr file
>% TeXScriptsPath  texmf/context/perltk    scripts
>%
>% ==
>%
>% As shown below, one can define his/her own sections. We
>% default to the teTeX/fpTeX web2c based settings.
>
>set  TeXShell  to  tetex
>%set TeXShell  to  miktex
>%set TeXShell  to  private
>
>% Here are some general defaults. They can be overruled later.
>
>set  UsedInterfaces     to  en,nl,de,uk
>set  UserInterface      to  en
>set  TeXExecutable      to  tex
>set  MpExecutable       to  mpost
>set  MpToTeXExecutable  to  mpto
>set  DviToMpExecutable  to  dvitomp
>
>% For teTeX and fpTeX, the next settings will do.
>
>for  tetex  set  UsedInterfaces  to  en,nl,de,uk
>for  tetex  set  UserInterface   to  en
>for  tetex  set  TeXExecutable   to  pdfetex
>
>% MikTeX users probably have to set up some paths too.
>
>for  miktex  set  UsedInterfaces  to  en,nl,de,uk
>for  miktex  set  UserInterface   to  en
>for  miktex  set  TeXExecutable   to  pdftex
>for  miktex  set  TeXFormatFlag   to  &
>for  miktex  set  TeXVirginFlag   to  --initialize
>
>% These are the settings used at PRAGMA ADE. They can serve as an
>% example for local settings. Local settings should either be added
>% to the previous one, or go without the 'for' directives.
>
>for  private  set  UsedInterfaces  to  en,nl
>for  private  set  UserInterface   to  nl
>for  private  set  TeXExecutable   to  pdfetex
>for  private  set  TeXFormatFlag   to  &
>for  private  set  TeXVirginFlag   to  -ini
>for  private  set  TeXFormatPath   to  t:/tex/web2c/fmt/
>for  private  set  ConTeXtPath     to  t:/pragma/sources/
>for  private  set  SetupPath       to  t:/pragma/perl/
>for  private  set  TeXScriptsPath  to  t:/pragma/perl/

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-23  7:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-04-23  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: taco.hoekwater, E.H.M.Frambach, ntg-context

Hi erik, taco, thomas,

Concerning the quotes, what is the final conclusion? Do I only have to
change ' into "?

I a few days I'll update. (Some optimzations in auto breaking
tabulations too).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-22 12:31 Thomas Esser
From: Thomas Esser @ 1999-04-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: E.H.M.Frambach, ntg-context

> d**n, I hate it when this happens! Ugrading my TeX installation(s) is

Try to set
  CONTEXTINPUTS = $TEXMF/context//
in your texmf.cnf file.

That should cure the broken compile-time searchpath.

Thomas

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-22 12:12 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-04-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Erik> Under Windows texexec.pl does not function very well because
    Erik> of: my $IniPath = `kpsewhich --format='other text files'
    Erik> -progname=context texexec.ini` ;

For me, the 'other text files' doesn't work at all:

-show-path:    .:/home/srahtz/texlive/source/texmf/context//

I'm guessing this is the compile-time default, but I don't know what
variable to set and where.

    Erik> Thee '-quotes around 'other text files' should be "-quotes,
    Erik> or you will get the wrong answer from kpsewhich! I don't
    Erik> know if using " will break the script on Unix?

No.

Taco

* Re: texexec
@ 1999-04-22 11:31 ` Erik Frambach
From: Erik Frambach @ 1999-04-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Erik> Under Windows texexec.pl does not function very well because
>     Erik> of: my $IniPath = `kpsewhich --format='other text files' Erik>
>     -progname=context texexec.ini` ;
>
> For me, the 'other text files' doesn't work at all:
>
> -show-path:    .:/home/srahtz/texlive/source/texmf/context//

Using Web2c 7.3:
kpsewhich --show-path="other text files"

returns:

.;d:/texfiles/texmf/kpsewhich//;\
d:/texfiles/texmf-local/kpsewhich//;\
!!d:/texfiles/texmf-localconfig/kpsewhich//;\
!!e:/4texwin/texmf/kpsewhich//

kpsewhich --format='other text files' -progname=context texexec.ini

returns:

e:/4texwin/texmf/tex/latex209/text.tex

kpsewhich --format="other text files" -progname=context texexec.ini

returns what I want:

e:/4texwin/texmf/context/texexec.ini

Erik

* texexec
@ 1999-04-22  9:05 Erik Frambach
From: Erik Frambach @ 1999-04-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Under Windows texexec.pl does not function very well because of:

my $IniPath = `kpsewhich --format='other text files' -progname=context
texexec.ini` ;

Thee '-quotes around 'other text files' should be "-quotes, or you will
get the wrong answer from kpsewhich! I don't know if using " will break
the script on Unix?

Another problem: this one works just fine:

pdftex.exe -progname=context "&cont-nl" file.tex

but this one does not:

perl.exe texexec.pl --interface=nl file.tex

"tex capacity exceeded" (strings and pool size): that's because
"-progname=context" is not there. In texmf.cnf there are many
".context" specifications, a few ".cont-nl", but not when it comes
to memory settings. I think it would be wise (or at least more safe)
to add "-progname=context" to texexec.pl when running a tex job!

I know, there is no good reason not to use hugetex, but the current
(tex live 4) texmf.cnf still assumes low memory settings.

Greetings,
Erik Frambach