* input stack size limit?
@ 1999-04-23  8:31 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-04-23  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

This is probably more a TeX question than a Context question but the
problem is coming up in Context, so....

I have been running Context under Linux without any problems for a while.
I've just tried getting it going on an SGI (IRIX 6.5).  It is having
problems.  Specifically, I get a

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].

so I edit the texmf.cnf and change stack_size to something big.  The
problem is, regardless of what I change this to (5000, 10000), I get

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=3000].

Is there an upper limit of 3000 or something?  Should Context be needing
more than that?  I don't *think* there's anything screwy with my doc.  It
compiles and displays fine under Linux.

Oh, I should add that I'm running it with pdftex (which I also use to
build the fmt file).

- Matthew Baker

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: input stack size limit?
@ 1999-04-23  9:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-04-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context List

Matthew Baker wrote:

> This is probably more a TeX question than a Context question but the
> problem is coming up in Context, so....
>
> I have been running Context under Linux without any problems for a while.
> I've just tried getting it going on an SGI (IRIX 6.5).  It is having
> problems.  Specifically, I get a
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].
>
> so I edit the texmf.cnf and change stack_size to something big.  The
> problem is, regardless of what I change this to (5000, 10000), I get
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=3000].
>
> Is there an upper limit of 3000 or something?  Should Context be needing
> more than that?  I don't *think* there's anything screwy with my doc.  It
> compiles and displays fine under Linux.
>
> Oh, I should add that I'm running it with pdftex (which I also use to
> build the fmt file).

(1) Some memory changes in texmf and runtime, some become hardcoded in
the fmt file. So, when changing a value, always regenerate a format.

(2) I currently use the next values (for all my texs), but when you use
tetex, thomas already has set the values to reasonable ones.

main_memory       = 1500000
extra_mem_top     = 1000000
extra_mem_bot     = 1000000
font_mem_size     =  250000
font_max          =     750
hash_extra        =   30000

pool_size         =  500000
string_vacancies  =   25000
max_strings       =   50000
pool_free         =  475000

trie_size         =   64000
hyph_size         =    1000
buf_size          =   10000
nest_size         =     750
max_in_open       =      15
param_size        =    5000
save_size         =   20000
stack_size        =    5000

obj_tab_size      =  150000

(3) I'm not that sure if a large input stack is always needed. You can
take a look at the log file (at the end) and see to what respect the
limits are reached.

(4) In the texmf file, one can set all mem values (like shown here) or
for some specific programs or packages. Currently (when you use tetex)
the context prefix is used for context. You generate a format by either
running the tetex configuration script, or running 'texexec --make'.
Both make sure the right memory values are used.

I hope this helps, otherwise Thomas Esser has to assist,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: input stack size limit?
@ 1999-04-23 11:22 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-04-23 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Matthew,

There is an upper limit of 3000 in web2c 7.2.  And, it is very very
unlikely that you really need more. Perhaps you should check if the
SGI has different line-end conventions?

Taco
    Matthew> Hi,

    Matthew> This is probably more a TeX question than a Context
    Matthew> question but the problem is coming up in Context, so....

    Matthew> I have been running Context under Linux without any
    Matthew> problems for a while.  I've just tried getting it going
    Matthew> on an SGI (IRIX 6.5).  It is having problems.
    Matthew> Specifically, I get a

    Matthew> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].

    Matthew> so I edit the texmf.cnf and change stack_size to
    Matthew> something big.  The problem is, regardless of what I
    Matthew> change this to (5000, 10000), I get

    Matthew> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=3000].

    Matthew> Is there an upper limit of 3000 or something?  Should
    Matthew> Context be needing more than that?  I don't *think*
    Matthew> there's anything screwy with my doc.  It compiles and
    Matthew> displays fine under Linux.

    Matthew> Oh, I should add that I'm running it with pdftex (which I
    Matthew> also use to build the fmt file).

    Matthew> - Matthew Baker

    Matthew> -- Dr. Matthew Baker matthew.baker@gmd.de GMD - FIT.MMK
    Matthew> http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --