* Re: BIG PDF files with LOTS of images
@ 1999-05-25 10:13 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-05-25 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>This massive monstrosity I have been working on for the past few weeks is
>>finally nearly ready for the printers, who are graciously accepting it in
>>PDF form.  Now I have a problem: this document doesn't have many pages but
>>it has a *lot* of images.  Acrobat grows in size with each page and it
>>runs out of memory before I've browsed very far into the document.  I'd
>>like Acrobat to clear all it's memory before loading the next page.  The
>>file isn't that big (only a few meg) so it must be storing all the

You can also use GhostView. Then the color-output will be correct too.

Has anybody any idea why Acrobat pdf colors are always wrong? Since I use
color, I use Ghostscript, since that does the colors right. Blue is too dark
in pdf, and so it red and magenta.

Gilbert.

* Re: BIG PDF files with LOTS of images
@ 1999-05-25  9:37 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-05-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Hello,
>
>This massive monstrosity I have been working on for the past few weeks is
>finally nearly ready for the printers, who are graciously accepting it in
>PDF form.  Now I have a problem: this document doesn't have many pages but
>it has a *lot* of images.  Acrobat grows in size with each page and it
>runs out of memory before I've browsed very far into the document.  I'd
>like Acrobat to clear all it's memory before loading the next page.  The
>file isn't that big (only a few meg) so it must be storing all the

Probably you need to disable the page cache. Acrobat indeed stores
uncompressed images, this is caused by the Windows API which only accepts
uncompressed images (not entirely true, but it is true for Acrobat).

>embedded JPEG images internally as uncompressed bitmaps.  Is this problem
>related to PDF storing images globally so that they can be reused (I'm no
>PDF expert but I have vague recollections of it doing this)?  If so, can

This should have nothing to do with the object storage mechanism context
uses. In fact Adobe promotes object usage in their docs.

>that be turned off in context so that the images are deleted from memory
>after use?  And does this have anything to do with the preset option in
>externalfigure (which dumps TeX errors when I play with it)?

Don''t know what preset does, sorry.

>One more question: what does one do to make PDF bookmarks?  From what I
>can tell, I just need something like
>
>\placebookmarks[section]
>\setupinteraction[state=start]
>\setuplist
>  [section]
>  [criterium=all,
>   interaction=all]
>
>which I try but it doesn't seem to do anything.  I get promising looking
>entries in my tui file with bm:: as the name of the list so I figure I
>must be close.

You must *first* enable interaction, otherwise the bookmarks go into
nirvana:

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[section]        % This must be somewhere after the previous
line
\starttext
..... Lots of sections etc.
\stoptext

So make sure you first say \setupinteraction[state=start]

Cheers, Gilbert.

* BIG PDF files with LOTS of images
@ 1999-05-25  6:07 Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-05-25  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

[...]

Many many thanks for your help.  This should be my last question for a
while...

Regards,
Matthew

--