* why no indentation?
@ 1999-06-29  9:51 Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-06-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started making a book, using oefen01.tex as a starting point.
I wanted paragraph indentation, so I tried adding (in the preamble:

\inspringen[ja]

or

\stelinspringenin[groot]

or both, but got no indentation.
When I reduced my preamble to almost nothing, \stelinspringenin[groot]
gave me my indentation, but \inspringen[ja] did not. I probably don't
understand the two staements, possibly \inspringen[ja] works only
once?

Here is the current preamble for my book, which does not indent
paragraphs (I'd love any other comments, I probably do many things wrong):

\setupoutput[pdftex] \pdfcompresslevel=0
\setupwhitespace[none]
\setuppagenumbering     [alternative=doublesided,
                         place={footer,margin}]

\setuphead              [chapter]
                        [alternative=inmargin,
                         character=bold,
                         page=right]
\indenting[yes]   %<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
\setupwhitespace
\setupcombinedlist[content][nivea=chapter,alternative=c]
\setupregister[index][n=1,chapternumber=yes]
\setupcolors[state=start]

% the next two definitions should probably by in a separate file? How?
\definedescription
  [description]
  [location=hanging,        % implemented recently
   margin=standard,
   headstyle=bold]

\definestartstop
  [descriptions]
  [before=\blank\startpacked,
   after=\stoppacked\blank,
   commands=\let\item\description]

% use \chap instead of \chapter, as most of our chapter titles will be
% like:
%
% 1 The second World War
%   (1940-1945)
%
% which we make with \chap{The second World War}{(1940-1945)}
% while the introduction will be produced with \chap{Inleiding}{}

\def\chap#1#2{\chapter{#1\tfa\\ #2}}
\language[nl]
\starttext
\startstandardmakeup
\startalignment[middle]
  {\tfd\bf The title of my book}
  \blank[big,medium]
  This is a subtitle which I want in two lines which succeeds

  only with an empty line in between, not with two backslashes
  \blank[big,medium]
  {\tfb Wybo Dekker}
\stopalignment
\vfill
\stopstandardmakeup

\completecontent
\chap{INLEIDING}{}

--
Hartelijke groet, Wybo
--

* Re: why no indentation?
@ 1999-06-29 11:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-29 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> .... indenting (dutch example)

You turn indentation on by:

\stelinspringenin[middel]

and can locally influence it with

                  \input tufte \par    % normal
\inspringen  [nee]\input tufte \par    % not this one
\inspringen   [ja]\input tufte \par    % when off, on again
\inspringen[nooit]\input tufte \par    % never from now on
                  \input tufte \par    % so not here too

You seldom need \inspringen. Often you turn it on and can use the
shortcuts \indentation and \noindentation when needed. Beware, ConTeXt
does not indent after \blank(o) commands, this is a feature (which an be
turned off), not a bug.

> % the next two definitions should probably by in a separate file? How?

just put them in a file and use

  \environment filename % no braces

The file is searched for on the current path and a few below that.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: why no indentation?
@ 1999-06-29 13:17 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-06-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Wybo> I started making a book, using oefen01.tex as a starting
    Wybo> point.  I wanted paragraph indentation, so I tried adding
    Wybo> (in the preamble:

    Wybo> \inspringen[ja]

This works only once (like primitive \indent)

    Wybo> or

    Wybo> \stelinspringenin[groot]

Almost, but not quite. You need:

\setupindenting[next,big]

or

\setupindenting[first,big]

The first of these two does not indent the first paragraph after a
sectioning command, the second one does. If neither are given, the
value for \parindent is indeed reset, but never used unless in
\indenting[yes].

Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --