On Friday, May 4, 2012, at 12:37 Malte Stien wrote: > Hi all, > Is there a way I can get ConTeXt to produce PDFs that are > not-printable? Just as a background to my question: This is not > about copyright. Rather, I am using ConTeXt to produce quality > process documents. The quality management system requires that all > quality process documents be "controlled", that is one must prevent > folks from printing copies of their own that then keep floating > around the place and cannot be retracted when a new version of the > quality process document is issued. > Hence, I am aiming for a paper-less scenario where everyone reads > the documents on screen. Therefore, I would like to make printing > impossible, or at least hard. The only one who should be able to > print the document is the Document Manager; maybe the documents > could be encrypted (PDF supports that, I believe), such that the > Document Manager can print them knowing the password. > So far, I have only seen Word and Acrobat Distiller being able to > do this. Is there a way I can setup ConTeXt to do this? Or are there > some command line tools, that can do that after the PDF has been produced? > Any hints would be great. > Thank you, > Malte. You can accomplish PDF encryption with pdftk (for example): http://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/ You use that to restrict certain features (in your case printing) and protect that restriction with a password. The PDF itself can still be read without password. Of course the PDF viewer has to honor that restriction. If the user finds a PDF viewer that doesn't give a **** about these restrictions, they can still print it. But I think that doesn't really matter for your scenario anyway. :-) -- Best Regards, Andreas