* <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-16 15:09 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-07-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: message body and .signature --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1684 bytes --]

Hi everybody,

Attached are two files, that together should allow Context to use the
psnfss virtual fonts from a 'standard' TeX installation instead of the
texnansi encoded fonts. I don't see a good reason why one would want
to do that, but it was easier to create these files than to create a
distrib of the needed metrics for LY1.

Notes:

a) would someone please verify that this works on a virgin
   context installation? (mine is too weird for that)

b) fontec.tex is an example file. Hans, could you please look at it's
   preamble to see if I missed something (had to patch context to get
   this to work...)

c) font-ber only works for Times/Helv/Cour. If anyone knows the other
   metric file names, please post them.

d) enco-ec has a trick to use pre-built '\c c'. This could be applied
   to the other font encoding files as well.

e) if anyone needs the tie accent, please let me know how to code it...

f) enco-ec.tex also supports \k from LaTeX (the ogonek accent)

g) eng -> \ng
   Eng -> \NG
   eth/thorn -> \th
   Eth/Thorn -> \TH
   dutch ij -> \ij
   dutch IJ -> \IJ

h) of course no \dotlessj unless you patch the vf files yourself,
   and no prebuilts either, but this is normal for PS fonts

i) Hans, can the '\"{a} => because of braces always \" in 7t encoding'
   quasi-feature be safely removed? It's the silliest thing in context
   I've seen so far...

Greetings, Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

[-- Attachment #2: enco-ec.tex --]

%D \module
%D   [     file=enco-ec,
%D      version=1999.16.7,
%D        title=\CONTEXT\ Encoding Macros,
%D     subtitle=\LaTeX\ EC Encoding,
%D       author=Taco Hoekwater,
%D         date=\currentdate,
%D    copyright=H. Hagen]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See licen-en.pdf for
%C details.

%D This is \LaTeX2e's T1 encoding vector, which
%D seems to be popular with certain people. All standard
%D \LaTeX\ accents will work, including \type{\k}. The only accent
%D that does not work is \type{\t} (there is no tie in T1 encoding).
%D
%D Annoyingly, most PostScript fonts do not have \type{\dotlessj},
%D and T1 encoding does not make the various prebuilts with
%D \type{j} available.
%D
%D There is hardly a point in supporting TS1 encoding.

\startmapping[ec]

%D the case mappings are fairly simple. Perhaps there is a shortcut
%D to do this?

\definecasemap 128 160 128
\definecasemap 129 161 129
\definecasemap 130 162 130
\definecasemap 131 163 131
\definecasemap 132 164 132
\definecasemap 133 165 133
\definecasemap 134 166 134
\definecasemap 135 167 135
\definecasemap 136 168 136
\definecasemap 137 169 137
\definecasemap 138 170 138
\definecasemap 139 171 139
\definecasemap 140 172 140
\definecasemap 141 173 141
\definecasemap 142 174 142
\definecasemap 143 175 143
\definecasemap 144 176 144
\definecasemap 145 177 145
\definecasemap 146 178 146
\definecasemap 147 179 147
\definecasemap 148 180 148
\definecasemap 149 181 149
\definecasemap 150 182 150
\definecasemap 151 183 151
\definecasemap 152 184 152
\definecasemap 153 185 153
\definecasemap 154 186 154
\definecasemap 155 187 155
\definecasemap 156 188 156

%D 157 Idotaccent
%D 158 dcroat (with bar)
%D 159 sectionmark

\definecasemap 160 128 160
\definecasemap 161 129 161
\definecasemap 162 130 162
\definecasemap 163 131 163
\definecasemap 164 132 164
\definecasemap 165 133 165
\definecasemap 166 134 166
\definecasemap 167 135 167
\definecasemap 168 136 168
\definecasemap 169 137 169
\definecasemap 170 138 170
\definecasemap 171 139 171
\definecasemap 172 140 172
\definecasemap 173 141 173
\definecasemap 174 142 174
\definecasemap 175 143 175
\definecasemap 176 144 176
\definecasemap 177 145 177
\definecasemap 178 146 178
\definecasemap 179 147 179
\definecasemap 180 148 180
\definecasemap 181 149 181
\definecasemap 182 150 182
\definecasemap 183 151 183
\definecasemap 184 152 184
\definecasemap 185 153 185
\definecasemap 186 154 186
\definecasemap 187 155 187
\definecasemap 188 156 188

%D 189 exclamdown
%D 190 questiondown
%D 191 sterling pound

\definecasemap 192 224 192
\definecasemap 193 225 193
\definecasemap 194 226 194
\definecasemap 195 227 195
\definecasemap 196 228 196
\definecasemap 197 229 197
\definecasemap 198 230 198
\definecasemap 199 231 199
\definecasemap 200 232 200
\definecasemap 201 233 201
\definecasemap 202 234 202
\definecasemap 203 235 203
\definecasemap 204 236 204
\definecasemap 205 237 205
\definecasemap 206 238 206
\definecasemap 207 239 207
\definecasemap 208 240 208
\definecasemap 209 241 209
\definecasemap 210 242 210
\definecasemap 211 243 211
\definecasemap 212 244 212
\definecasemap 213 245 213
\definecasemap 214 246 214
\definecasemap 215 247 215
\definecasemap 216 248 216
\definecasemap 217 249 217
\definecasemap 218 250 218
\definecasemap 219 251 219
\definecasemap 220 252 220
\definecasemap 221 253 221
\definecasemap 222 254 222
\definecasemap 223 255 223
\definecasemap 224 224 192
\definecasemap 225 225 193
\definecasemap 226 226 194
\definecasemap 227 227 195
\definecasemap 228 228 196
\definecasemap 229 229 197
\definecasemap 230 230 198
\definecasemap 231 231 199
\definecasemap 232 232 200
\definecasemap 233 233 201
\definecasemap 234 234 202
\definecasemap 235 235 203
\definecasemap 236 236 204
\definecasemap 237 237 205
\definecasemap 238 238 206
\definecasemap 239 239 207
\definecasemap 240 240 208
\definecasemap 241 241 209
\definecasemap 242 242 210
\definecasemap 243 243 211
\definecasemap 244 244 212
\definecasemap 245 245 213
\definecasemap 246 246 214
\definecasemap 247 247 215
\definecasemap 248 248 216
\definecasemap 249 249 217
\definecasemap 250 250 218
\definecasemap 251 251 219
\definecasemap 252 252 220
\definecasemap 253 253 221
\definecasemap 254 254 222
\definecasemap 255 255 223

\stopmapping

\startencoding[ec]

\defineaccent u A 128
\defineaccent v C 131
\defineaccent v D 132
\defineaccent v E 133
\defineaccent u G 135
\defineaccent v l 137 % Lcaron
\defineaccent v N 140
\defineaccent H O 142
\defineaccent v R 144
\defineaccent v S 146
\defineaccent v T 148
\defineaccent H U 150
\defineaccent r U 151
\defineaccent v Z 154
\defineaccent . Z 155
\defineaccent . I 157
\defineaccent = d 158

\defineaccent u a 160
\defineaccent v c 163
\defineaccent v d 164
\defineaccent v e 165
\defineaccent u g 167
\defineaccent v l 169
\defineaccent v n 172
\defineaccent H o 174
\defineaccent v r 176
\defineaccent v s 178
\defineaccent v t 180
\defineaccent H u 182
\defineaccent r u 183
\defineaccent v z 186
\defineaccent . z 187

\defineaccent ' C 130
\defineaccent ' L 136
\defineaccent ' N 139
\defineaccent ' R 143
\defineaccent ' S 145
\defineaccent " Y 152
\defineaccent ' Z 153
\defineaccent ' c 162
\defineaccent ' l 168
\defineaccent ' n 171
\defineaccent ' r 175
\defineaccent ' s 177
\defineaccent " y 184
\defineaccent ' z 185
\defineaccent ` A 192
\defineaccent ' A 193
\defineaccent ^ A 194
\defineaccent ~ A 195
\defineaccent " A 196
\defineaccent r A 197
\defineaccent ` E 200
\defineaccent ' E 201
\defineaccent ^ E 202
\defineaccent " E 203
\defineaccent ` I 204
\defineaccent ' I 205
\defineaccent ^ I 206
\defineaccent " I 207
\defineaccent ~ N 209
\defineaccent ` O 210
\defineaccent ' O 211
\defineaccent ^ O 212
\defineaccent ~ O 213
\defineaccent " O 214
\defineaccent ` U 217
\defineaccent ' U 218
\defineaccent ^ U 219
\defineaccent " U 220
\defineaccent ' Y 221
\defineaccent ` a 224
\defineaccent ' a 225
\defineaccent ^ a 226
\defineaccent ~ a 227
\defineaccent " a 228
\defineaccent r a 229
\defineaccent ` e 232
\defineaccent ' e 233
\defineaccent ^ e 234
\defineaccent " e 235
\defineaccent ` i 236
\defineaccent ' i 237
\defineaccent ^ i 238
\defineaccent " i 239
\defineaccent ~ n 241
\defineaccent ` o 242
\defineaccent ' o 243
\defineaccent ^ o 244
\defineaccent ~ o 245
\defineaccent " o 246
\defineaccent ` u 249
\defineaccent ' u 250
\defineaccent ^ u 251
\defineaccent " u 252
\defineaccent ' y 253

\defineaccent ` {\dotlessi} 236
\defineaccent ' {\dotlessi} 237
\defineaccent " {\dotlessi} 239
\defineaccent ^ {\dotlessi} 238

\defineaccent ` {\i} 236
\defineaccent ' {\i} 237
\defineaccent " {\i} 239
\defineaccent ^ {\i} 238

%
%D These are special, see below.
%
\defineaccent k A 129
\defineaccent k E 134
\defineaccent k a 161
\defineaccent k e 166
\defineaccent c T 149
\defineaccent c S 147
\defineaccent c C 199
\defineaccent c c 231
\defineaccent c s 179
\defineaccent c t 181

\definecharacter ae 230
\definecharacter oe 247
\definecharacter o  248
\definecharacter AE 198
\definecharacter OE 215
\definecharacter O  216
\definecharacter ss 255
\definecharacter SS 223

\definecharacter th 254
\definecharacter TH 222

\definecharacter ng 173
\definecharacter NG 141

\definecharacter ij 188
\definecharacter IJ 156

%D next four are strictly unneeded
\definecharacter aa 229
\definecharacter AA 197
\definecharacter cc 231
\definecharacter CC 199

\definecharacter l 170
\definecharacter L 138

\definecharacter i 25
% \definecharacter j 26

%D this next line is strange, but needed.
\redefineaccent =

\defineaccentcommand ` 0
\defineaccentcommand ' 1
\defineaccentcommand ^ 2
\defineaccentcommand ~ 3
\defineaccentcommand " 4
\defineaccentcommand H 5
\defineaccentcommand r 6
\defineaccentcommand v 7
\defineaccentcommand u 8
\defineaccentcommand = 9
\defineaccentcommand . 10

%D ogonek does not normally exist in context

\redefineaccent k

%D The rather weird construction that follows is needed because
%D otherwise (using \type{\definecommand}) the pre-built chars are
%D never used. Same trick could be used in the \type{enco-ans}
%D file, such that the macro for ccedille can be removed.

%D initialization needed to get past defineaccentcommand
\def\ecencodedb{}
\def\ecencodedc{}
\def\ecencodedk{}

\defineaccentcommand b {\ecencodedb}
\defineaccentcommand c {\ecencodedc}
\defineaccentcommand k {\ecencodedk}

\def\ecencodedb#1%
  {\oalign{#1\crcr\hidewidth\vbox to.2ex{\hbox{\char9}\vss}\hidewidth}}

\def\ecencodedc#1%
  {\setbox0\hbox{#1}\ifdim\ht0=1ex\accent11 #1\else
     {\ooalign{\hidewidth\char11\hidewidth\crcr\unhbox0}}\fi}

\def\ecencodedk#1%
  {\setbox0\hbox{#1}\ifdim\ht0=1ex\accent12 #1\else
     {\ooalign{\hidewidth\char12\hidewidth\crcr\unhbox0}}\fi}

\stopencoding

\endinput

[-- Attachment #3: font-ber.tex --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=font-ber,
%D        version=1998.4.11,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Font Macros,
%D       subtitle=Karl Berry Font Names,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Hans Hagen \& Ton Otten}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See licen-en.pdf for
%C details.

\definefontsynonym [Baskerville]                [mbvr8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Baskerville-Italic]         [mbvri8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Baskerville-Bold]           [mbvb8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Baskerville-BoldItalic]     [mbvbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Baskerville-SemiBold]       [mbvs8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Baskerville-SemiBoldItalic] [mbvsi8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [Courier]               [pcrr8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold]          [pcrb8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Oblique]       [pcrro8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-BoldOblique]   [pcrbo8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [Helvetica]             [phvr8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Oblique]     [phvro8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold]        [phvb8t]	 [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldOblique] [phvbo8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]           [ptmr8t]  [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]          [ptmri8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]            [ptmb8t]	 [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic]      [ptmbi8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde]     [pag]
\definefontsynonym [BookmanLight]   [pbk]
\definefontsynonym [CentaurMT]      [pur]
\definefontsynonym [Garamond]       [pgm]
\definefontsynonym [GillSans]       [pgs]
\definefontsynonym [NewBaskerville] [pnb]
\definefontsynonym [Optima]         [pop]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino]       [ppl]
\definefontsynonym [Symbol]         [psy]
\definefontsynonym [Univers]        [pun]
\definefontsynonym [Utopia]         [put]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfChancery]   [pzc]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfDingbats]   [pzd]

\endinput

[-- Attachment #4: fontec.tex --]

\setupbodyfont[ber,pos]
\useencoding[ec]

%
% Hans, de comments zijn spul dat ik moest aanpassen?
%
\def\setcoding[#1]
  {\doifsomething{#1}
     {%\let\dohandleaccent\donthandleaccent
      %\let\dohandlecommand\donthandlecommand
      \def\characterencoding{@#1@}%
      \enablelanguagespecifics[\currentlanguage]}}

\def\dododohandleaccent#1#2%
  {\bgroup
   \ifundefined{\characterencoding#1\string#2}%
%     \def\\{\getvalue{\nocharacterencoding#1}#2\egroup}%
     \def\\{\getvalue{\characterencoding#1}#2\egroup}%
   \else
     \def\\{\getvalue{\characterencoding#1\string#2}\egroup}%
   \fi
   \\}

% Hans, die 'indien-braces-dan-plain' quasi-feature is nogal onzinnig.

\def\sa#1{%
\string#1: \processcommalist[a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,\i]#1
\par
}

\def\ca#1{%
	\def\test##1{#1##1}%
\string #1: \processcommalist[a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,\i]\test
\par
}

\starttext

\setcoding[ec]
\sa\"

\bigskip

\ca\'
\ca\`
\ca\^
\ca\~
\ca\"
\ca\H
\ca\r
\ca\v
\ca\u
\ca\=
\ca\b
\ca\d
\ca\.
\ca\c
\ca\k

{\tracingall

b: \b b \quad k: \k b \quad c: \c b \quad t: \t ae =: \= b cc: \cc
}

\stoptext

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-16 16:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-07-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    >> Attached are two files, that together should allow Context to
    >> use the psnfss virtual fonts from a 'standard' TeX installation
    >> instead of the texnansi encoded fonts. I don't see a good
    >> reason why one would want to do that,

    Erik> Until now always had problems with Times: first ConTeXt
    Erik> seems to insist on using tir.tfm, etc., then I get problems
    Erik> with either missing accents or funny characters instead of
    Erik> ligatures ff, fi, fl or funny characters instead of quotes.
    Erik> But never everything correct at the same time.  Maybe I'm
    Erik> stupid, but anyway I for one am VERY happy to see that this
    Erik> new method actually WORKS for me.

Glad somebody is pleased...

    Erik> I noticed a few strange characters in Taco's example, but
    Erik> maybe that's on purpose: - \v d yields d' - \v l yields l' -

These are on purpose. d' == dhacek&&dcaron and l' == lhacek&&ldcaron,
both have a changed hacek/caron to fit in the line (traditional)

    Erik> \=d yields a d with a dash that collides with the stem. \= b
    Erik> and other "tall" characters look fine with the dash somewhat
    Erik> above the stem

\=d is dcroat&&dmacron&&dbar, using the same logic.

    Erik> What is "t: \t ae" supposed to yield? I get simply "t: ae".

It's the (totally missing) tie-after accent (texbook p52)

Taco

* <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-17 17:26 ` Siep Kroonenberg
From: Siep Kroonenberg @ 1999-07-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater writes:

 > Hi everybody,
 >
 > Attached are two files, that together should allow Context to use the
 > psnfss virtual fonts from a 'standard' TeX installation instead of the
 > texnansi encoded fonts. I don't see a good reason why one would want
 > to do that, but it was easier to create these files than to create a
 > distrib of the needed metrics for LY1.
 >
 > Notes:
 >
 > a) would someone please verify that this works on a virgin
 >    context installation? (mine is too weird for that)
 >
 > b) fontec.tex is an example file. Hans, could you please look at it's
 >    preamble to see if I missed something (had to patch context to get
 >    this to work...)
 >
 > c) font-ber only works for Times/Helv/Cour. If anyone knows the other
 >    metric file names, please post them.

The Berry names for the base35 minus symbol plus Charter and Utopia,
search/replaced with vim from the Kluwer psfonts.map:

\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde-Demi] [pagd8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde-DemiOblique] [pagdo8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde-Book] [pagk8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde-BookOblique] [pagko8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Bookman-Demi] [pbkd8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Bookman-DemiItalic] [pbkdi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Bookman-Light] [pbkl8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Bookman-LightItalic] [pbkli8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold] [pcrb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-BoldOblique] [pcrbo8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier] [pcrr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Oblique] [pcrro8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold] [phvb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Narrow-Bold] [phvb8tn] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldOblique] [phvbo8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique] [phvbo8tn] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica] [phvr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Narrow] [phvr8tn] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Oblique] [phvro8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique] [phvro8tn] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [NewCenturySchlbk-Bold] [pncb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic] [pncbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [NewCenturySchlbk-Roman] [pncr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [NewCenturySchlbk-Italic] [pncri8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold] [pplb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldItalic] [pplbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Roman] [pplr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic] [pplri8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Bold] [ptmb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic] [ptmbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Roman] [ptmr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Italic] [ptmri8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfChancery-MediumItalic] [pzcmi8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [CharterBT-Bold] [bchb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [CharterBT-BoldItalic] [bchbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [CharterBT-Roman] [bchr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [CharterBT-Italic] [bchri8t] [encoding=ec]

\definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold] [putb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [putbi8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular] [putr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic] [putri8t] [encoding=ec]
\endinput

Siepo

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-18  9:15   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-07-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

 SK> The Berry names for the base35 minus symbol plus Charter and
 SK> Utopia, search/replaced with vim from the Kluwer psfonts.map:

Dank. (I really should install the kluwer system myself...)

Taco

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-21  9:53 ` Matthew Baker
From: Matthew Baker @ 1999-07-21  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Attached are two files, that together should allow Context to use the
> psnfss virtual fonts from a 'standard' TeX installation instead of the
> texnansi encoded fonts. I don't see a good reason why one would want
> to do that, but it was easier to create these files than to create a
> distrib of the needed metrics for LY1.
>
> Notes:
>
> a) would someone please verify that this works on a virgin
>    context installation? (mine is too weird for that)

I've just installed Linux on a new machine.  Thus I'll be able to test
this on a virgin/latest ConTeXt installation within the next couple of
days (as soon as I've looked into one or two networking issues...)

Cheers,
Matthew

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de
GMD - FIT.MMK               http://fit.gmd.de/hci/pages/matthew.baker.html

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-17 17:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-17 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Perhaps we should do one for (each of the) (silly, because they are
> all slighly different from eachother) 7-bit tex text encodings as
> well, getting rid of the hardcoded plain stuff alltogether

Makes sense. (when we find the time)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-17 12:51   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-07-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

 HH> Erik Frambach wrote:
 >> Until now always had problems with Times: first ConTeXt seems to
 >> insist on using tir.tfm, etc., then I get problems with either
 >> missing accents or funny

 HH> Hm. One can use filemapping to use other names, so it is under
 HH> your control. Currently the method is:

The important thing about this patch is/was the enco-ec.tex
file. After Hans & I have sorted out a few minor glitches, it will
move into the core distrib.

Perhaps we should do one for (each of the) (silly, because they are
all slighly different from eachother) 7-bit tex text encodings as
well, getting rid of the hardcoded plain stuff alltogether

 >> But never everything correct at the same time.

 HH> This is an encoding issue and related to the previous. We use
 HH> times a lot (tir files) and never had those problems, but I think
 HH> your problem could have been due to missing texnansi tfm
 HH> files. Taco once suggested to set up an archive for this (if only

Probably caused by the fact that there were other,older versions of
tir.tfm that were not re-encoded at all but 'raw': using
AdobeStandardEncoding, which is nearly useless for typesetting.

 HH> because texnansi is a rather good encoding).  One reason for
 HH> using the tir ones is (was) that I dislike those (sometimes even)
 HH> changing berry names, and prefer originals.  It's also the reason
 HH> why I have my own mapping files (taco, should we also provide a
 HH> map file?).

Not for this berry stuff, that is part of any standard tex distrib.
And since you & me are probably the only people that use and have the
texnansi tfms, I don't see a real reason yet. If and when we create a
distribution for texnansi tfms, we definately should. But I am not in
a hurry to do that...

 >> Maybe I'm stupid, but anyway I for one am VERY happy to see that
 >> this new method actually WORKS for me.

 HH> Good to hear that!

 HH> Since the names in font-ber change now, we must make sure we make
 HH> the right choices once and for all (that is: taco makes the
 HH> choices -).

This is why I asked for the names for the other fonts. At least the
base35 (but preferably all of the PS3 ones) should be in there and
correctly named. But I no longer have those files (trying to cut down
hd space), so I depend on other people to tell me what they are called
(the proper psnfss name for the 8t encoded version, that is).

 HH> Some time ago I got some baskerville fonts needed to
 HH> typeset some UKTUG stuff, and ended up with 5 subdir with 5 sets
 HH> of tfm files and I never could sort out which one to use,
 HH> especially because the names in the map files were yet another
 HH> set.

Isnt life fun?

Taco

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-16 23:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-16 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Erik Frambach wrote:

> Until now always had problems with Times: first ConTeXt seems to insist on
> using tir.tfm, etc., then I get problems with either missing accents or funny

Hm. One can use filemapping to use other names, so it is under your
control. Currently the method is:

(1) define font in terms of Regular/Sans/Mono)
(2) map those on verbose names, like TimesRoman
(3) map these on filenames
(4) if needed remap these names (and so on)

Step (3) happens in for instance font-ber; this means that a different
local mapping can be acchieved by overloading this file. The file
font-fil maps to original filenames and does not use virtual fonts. The
advantage of this approach is that one can stick to logical names
(Regular). So,

  \font\test=\truefontname{Regular} at 12pt

or

  \definefont[test][Regular sa 1.5]

gives the main regular body font. This is an advantage in defining
styles. Some special ones, like OldStyle and Gothic are defines using
this mechanism.

Defining a new fontset is not that hard:

Mapping names (Serif is equivalent to Regular):

  \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [AntykwaTorunska-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [AntykwaTorunska-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [AntykwaTorunska-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [AntykwaTorunska-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [AntykwaTorunska-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [AntykwaTorunska-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [AntykwaTorunska-Regular]

Defining the whole set, based on the default relations:

  \definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt] [rm] [default]

Mapping the names onto files:

\definefontsynonym [AntykwaTorunska-Bold]    [anttb]
\definefontsynonym [AntykwaTorunska-Regular] [anttr]
\definefontsynonym [AntykwaTorunska-Italic]  [anttri]

So, there is only one place where the filename comes into focus.

BTW, Defining those non native (vf) fonts always was (and still is)
beyond me because I have only one set of times files and, using
dvipsone/dviwindo, cannot test virtual fonts at all. Some day --when I
got this new big laptop-- I will install more fonts and metrics and
viewers and start testing this. Until then I completely depend on others
for testing.

BTW, does anyone know what encoding the antikwa fonts use? Seems like a
useful one (poland + neighbours).

> characters instead of ligatures ff, fi, fl or funny characters instead of quotes.

This reminds me of the time we started using a ps printer, windows +
dviwindo, dvipsone (ps) and at the same time mattes viewer. I never
found out why windows remapped fonts, but I got it working and since
then never changed my tfm/pfb/etc files. Acrobat was yet another pain,
because it optimized some glyphs into the void (spaces and quotes) but
there was a workaround for that.

> But never everything correct at the same time.

This is an encoding issue and related to the previous. We use times a
lot (tir files) and never had those problems, but I think your problem
could have been due to missing texnansi tfm files. Taco once suggested
to set up an archive for this (if only because texnansi is a rather good
encoding).  One reason for using the tir ones is (was) that I dislike
those (sometimes even) changing berry names, and prefer originals.  It's
also the reason why I have my own mapping files (taco, should we also
provide a map file?).

> Maybe I'm stupid, but anyway I for one am VERY happy to see that this new
> method actually WORKS for me.

Good to hear that!

Since the names in font-ber change now, we must make sure we make the
right choices once and for all (that is: taco makes the choices -). Some
time ago I got some baskerville fonts needed to typeset some UKTUG
stuff, and ended up with 5 subdir with 5 sets of tfm files and I never
could sort out which one to use, especially because the names in the map
files were yet another set.

> I noticed a few strange characters in Taco's example, but maybe that's on
> purpose:
> - \v d yields d'
> - \v l yields l'
> - \=d yields a d with a dash that collides with the stem. \= b and other
>   "tall" characters look fine with the dash somewhat above the stem

Hm. v+d is mapped directly to a glyph, so this is a characteristic of
the font used. I just changed the underlying code to always prefer the
direct glyph (instead of falling back on the plain method when using
{}).

BTW, the next release of context will have \showencoding, that shows a-z
combined with accents and also shows (in color) if they are composed or
not. Maybe that helps.

For the curious ones: watch the pdf sections in the encoding files.
These make sure that as good as possible characters are mapped onto
pdfdoc encoding. So we have several mappings: glyphs, lower- and
uppercase, output encodings like pdf, etc.

> What is "t: \t ae" supposed to yield? I get simply "t: ae".

tea -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-16 15:21 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-07-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> c) font-ber only works for Times/Helv/Cour. If anyone knows the other
>    metric file names, please post them.

These are the abbreviations for corelpak fonts. The notation and tfms/vfs
are work-in-progress, but just to give you an overview here you are
with a preliminary version.

Argument 1 is the kb font name, #2 the family default for LaTeX, #3 a
list of informal font names ("original" and bitstream names), and #4 a
list of activation commands for non-default styles/family variants.

The font encoding stuff is ready, but I am still working on the macro
package. I could send you the former if you like.

\DeclareFontName{bub}{rm}{bauerbodoni, abcde}{}
\DeclareFontName{bbb}{rm}{bembo, aldine, aldine401}{}
\DeclareFontName{bbr}{rm}{berling, revival, revival565}{}
\DeclareFontName{bb7}{rm}{bernhard, bernhardmodern}{}
\DeclareFontName{bbd}{rm}{bodoni}{}
\DeclareFontName{brm}{rm}{carmina}{}
\DeclareFontName{bcs}{rm}{caxton}{}
\DeclareFontName{bc2}{rm}{caslon, caslon224}{}
\DeclareFontName{bcs}{rm}{centuryschoolbook, century}{}
\DeclareFontName{bch}{rm}{charter}{}
\DeclareFontName{bct}{rm}{cheltenham}{}
\DeclareFontName{bfn}{rm}{fenice}{}
\DeclareFontName{bgl}{rm}{galliard}{}
\DeclareFontName{bg3}{rm}{garamond3, garamondno3, americangaramond}{}
\DeclareFontName{bgm}{rm}{garamond}{}
\DeclareFontName{bgo}{rm}{goudyoldstyle, goudy}{}
\DeclareFontName{bjn}{rm}{janson, kis}{}
\DeclareFontName{bml}{rm}{melior, zapfelliptical711, elliptical}{}
\DeclareFontName{bmp}{rm}{memphis, geometricslabserif703, slabserif}{}
\DeclareFontName{bnb}{rm}{newbaskerville, baskerville}{}
\DeclareFontName{bo1}{rm}{oranda}{}
\DeclareFontName{bpl}{rm}{palatino, zaphcalligraphic801, calligraphic}{}
\DeclareFontName{bpp}{rm}{perpetua, lapidary333, lapidary}{}
\DeclareFontName{bpn}{rm}{plantin, aldine721, aldine}{}
\DeclareFontName{bsb}{rm}{sabon, classicalgaramond, classical}{}
\DeclareFontName{beg}{rm}{stempelgaramond, stempel, originalgaramond,
  original}{}
\DeclareFontName{bss}{rm}{schneidler}{}
\DeclareFontName{btf}{rm}{tiffany}{}
\DeclareFontName{btm}{rm}{times, dutch801, dutch}{}
\DeclareFontName{btv}{rm}{trumpmediaeval, mediaeval, kuenstler480,
  kuenstler}{}
\DeclareFontName{bag}{sf}{avantgarde}{}
\DeclareFontName{bug}{sf}{benguiatgothic}{}
\DeclareFontName{bfg}{sf}{franklingothic}{}
\DeclareFontName{bfr}{sf}{frutiger55, frutiger, humanist777, humanist7}{}
\DeclareFontName{bfu}{sf}{futura}{}
\DeclareFontName{bgs}{sf}{gillsans, humanist521, humanist5}{}
\DeclareFontName{bys}{sf}{goudysans}{}
\DeclareFontName{bhv}{sf}{helvetica, swiss721, swiss}{%
  %  \DeclareVariant{bhr}{rounded}
  }
\DeclareFontName{bkr}{sf}{korinna}{}
\DeclareFontName{bop}{sf}{optima, zapfhumanist601, humanist6}{}
\DeclareFontName{bun}{sf}{univers, zurich}{}
\DeclareFontName{blg}{tt}{lettergothic12pitch, lettergothic}{}
\DeclareFontName{beo}{}{amerigo}{}
\DeclareFontName{bau}{}{auriol, freeform721, freeform}{}
\DeclareFontName{bbg}{}{benguiat}{}
\DeclareFontName{bur}{}{centaur, venetian301, venetian}{}
\DeclareFontName{bhb}{}{hobo}{}
\DeclareFontName{bly}{}{lydian}{}
\DeclareFontName{bsv}{}{souvenir}{}
\DeclareFontName{bwn}{}{windsor}{}

--
Karsten Tinnefeld
				Silence is the perfectest herald of joy:

* Re: <ATTN task force> LaTeX's T1 encoding / LaTeX PS fonts
@ 1999-07-16 14:26 Erik Frambach
From: Erik Frambach @ 1999-07-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Attached are two files, that together should allow Context to use the
> psnfss virtual fonts from a 'standard' TeX installation instead of the
> texnansi encoded fonts. I don't see a good reason why one would want
> to do that,

Until now always had problems with Times: first ConTeXt seems to insist on
using tir.tfm, etc., then I get problems with either missing accents or funny
characters instead of ligatures ff, fi, fl or funny characters instead of quotes.
But never everything correct at the same time.
Maybe I'm stupid, but anyway I for one am VERY happy to see that this new
method actually WORKS for me.

I noticed a few strange characters in Taco's example, but maybe that's on
purpose:
- \v d yields d'
- \v l yields l'
- \=d yields a d with a dash that collides with the stem. \= b and other
  "tall" characters look fine with the dash somewhat above the stem

What is "t: \t ae" supposed to yield? I get simply "t: ae".

Erik