* line break between number and footnote text in paragraph footnotes
@ 2015-03-31 22:15 mf
From: mf @ 2015-03-31 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
Sometimes a thing like this happens:

... [main text] ...

--------------
1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
text of the third one

Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
one"?

Thanks in advance,
Massi

* Re: line break between number and footnote text in paragraph footnotes
@ 2015-04-01  0:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-01  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/1/2015 12:15 AM, mf wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
> line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
> Sometimes a thing like this happens:
>
> ... [main text] ...
>
> --------------
> 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
> text of the third one
>
> Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
> one"?

example needed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-01  8:56   ` massifr
From: massifr @ 2015-04-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

> On 4/1/2015 12:15 AM, mf wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
> > line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
> > Sometimes a thing like this happens:
> >
> > ... [main text] ...
> >
> > --------------
> > 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
> > text of the third one
> >
> > Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
> > one"?
>
> example needed

>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

Here it is:

\definenote[footnote]
\setupnotation[footnote][
  alternative=serried,
  numberstopper=,
  numbercommand={\high},
  numberconversion=a,
  way=bypage,
  width=0.5pt,
  location=page]

\setupnote[footnote][
  alternative=serried,
  paragraph=yes,
  inbetween= \emdash{} ,
  location=page,
  before={\blank[2*line]}]

\starttext
First footnote\footnote{this is the text of the first footnote}. Another
one\footnote{the second one, longer to get to the right margin}.
And the third one,\footnote{third footnote} with the “c” letter
separated by a line break from the footnote text.
\stoptext

I'm using the ConTeXt package from Debian testing, version 2014.05.21.20140528-2.
Here's the output of "context --version":
mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file: /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2014.05.21 22:04

* Re: line break between number and footnote text in paragraph footnotes
@ 2015-04-02 22:31 ` mf
From: mf @ 2015-04-02 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Hello,
> I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
> line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
> Sometimes a thing like this happens:
>
> ... [main text] ...
>
> --------------
> 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
> text of the third one
>
> Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
> one"?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Massi

> \definenote[footnote]
> \setupnotation[footnote][
>   alternative=serried,
>   numberstopper=,
>   numbercommand={\high},
>   numberconversion=a,
>   way=bypage,
>   width=0.5pt,
>   location=page]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][
>   alternative=serried,
>   paragraph=yes,
>   inbetween= \emdash{} ,
>   location=page,
>   before={\blank[2*line]}]
>
> \starttext
> First footnote\footnote{this is the text of the first footnote}.
> Another
> one\footnote{the second one, longer to get to the right margin}.
> And the third one,\footnote{third footnote} with the “c” letter
> separated by a line break from the footnote text.
> \stoptext

I found a solution: adding a negative penalty at the end of the
inbetween parameter:

\setupnote[footnote][
  alternative=serried,
  paragraph=yes,
  inbetween= \emdash{} \penalty-1000,
  location=page,
  before={\blank[2*line]}]

The footnotes' area was like this:
---------
^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... --- ^c
third footnote

Now it is like this:
---------
^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... ---
^c third footnote

The first line ends with an em dash: it's not so fine, but it's better
than a letter (footnote number) split from the text of the footnote by a
line break.

* Re: line break between number and footnote text in paragraph footnotes
@ 2015-04-02 22:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-02 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/3/2015 12:31 AM, mf wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
>> line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
>> Sometimes a thing like this happens:
>>
>> ... [main text] ...
>>
>> --------------
>> 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
>> text of the third one
>>
>> Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
>> one"?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Massi
>
>> \definenote[footnote]
>> \setupnotation[footnote][
>>    alternative=serried,
>>    numberstopper=,
>>    numbercommand={\high},
>>    numberconversion=a,
>>    way=bypage,
>>    width=0.5pt,
>>    location=page]
>>
>> \setupnote[footnote][
>>    alternative=serried,
>>    paragraph=yes,
>>    inbetween= \emdash{} ,
>>    location=page,
>>    before={\blank[2*line]}]
>>
>> \starttext
>> First footnote\footnote{this is the text of the first footnote}.
>> Another
>> one\footnote{the second one, longer to get to the right margin}.
>> And the third one,\footnote{third footnote} with the “c” letter
>> separated by a line break from the footnote text.
>> \stoptext
>
> I found a solution: adding a negative penalty at the end of the
> inbetween parameter:
>
> \setupnote[footnote][
>    alternative=serried,
>    paragraph=yes,
>    inbetween= \emdash{} \penalty-1000,
>    location=page,
>    before={\blank[2*line]}]
>
> The footnotes' area was like this:
> ---------
> ^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... --- ^c
> third footnote
>
> Now it is like this:
> ---------
> ^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... ---
> ^c third footnote
>
> The first line ends with an em dash: it's not so fine, but it's better
> than a letter (footnote number) split from the text of the footnote by a
> line break.

it is already handled in the beta

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-02 23:36     ` mf
From: mf @ 2015-04-02 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

Il giorno ven, 03/04/2015 alle 00.36 +0200, Hans Hagen ha scritto:
> On 4/3/2015 12:31 AM, mf wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
> >> line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
> >> Sometimes a thing like this happens:
> >>
> >> ... [main text] ...
> >>
> >> --------------
> >> 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
> >> text of the third one
> >>
> >> Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
> >> one"?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Massi
> >
> >> \definenote[footnote]
> >> \setupnotation[footnote][
> >>    alternative=serried,
> >>    numberstopper=,
> >>    numbercommand={\high},
> >>    numberconversion=a,
> >>    way=bypage,
> >>    width=0.5pt,
> >>    location=page]
> >>
> >> \setupnote[footnote][
> >>    alternative=serried,
> >>    paragraph=yes,
> >>    inbetween= \emdash{} ,
> >>    location=page,
> >>    before={\blank[2*line]}]
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >> First footnote\footnote{this is the text of the first footnote}.
> >> Another
> >> one\footnote{the second one, longer to get to the right margin}.
> >> And the third one,\footnote{third footnote} with the “c” letter
> >> separated by a line break from the footnote text.
> >> \stoptext
> >
> > I found a solution: adding a negative penalty at the end of the
> > inbetween parameter:
> >
> > \setupnote[footnote][
> >    alternative=serried,
> >    paragraph=yes,
> >    inbetween= \emdash{} \penalty-1000,
> >    location=page,
> >    before={\blank[2*line]}]
> >
> > The footnotes' area was like this:
> > ---------
> > ^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... --- ^c
> > third footnote
> >
> > Now it is like this:
> > ---------
> > ^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... ---
> > ^c third footnote
> >
> > The first line ends with an em dash: it's not so fine, but it's better
> > than a letter (footnote number) split from the text of the footnote by a
> > line break.
>
> it is already handled in the beta

I've downloaded it and I was glad to see the result.
Now the footnotes' area looks like this:
---------
^a this is the text... --- ^b the second... --- ^c third
footnote

It's much better. Thank you, Hans.