* Re: ConTeXt and latin 2 encoding
@ 1999-09-07 10:07 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-09-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Hello (halas(?))

> I'm a beginner in ConTeXt, and I would like to use a Latin 2 encoding for my
> ConTeXt files. How can I doing that? Is a simmilar command to LaTeX
> "\usepackage[latin2]{inputenc}"?

Try:

\usecodering[il2]      % cont-nl
\useencoding[il2]      %cont-en / all cont-*
\benutzekodierung[il2] %cont-de

I don't know whether you need something else (different bodyfont or so), Hans?
Taco?

> Greetings from Poland,
Greetings from Berlin, (my dictionary says: pa),

Tobias

* ConTeXt and latin 2 encoding
@ 1999-09-07 10:42 grzegorz.sapijaszko
From: grzegorz.sapijaszko @ 1999-09-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

I'm a beginner in ConTeXt, and I would like to use a Latin 2 encoding for my
ConTeXt files. How can I doing that? Is a simmilar command to LaTeX
"\usepackage[latin2]{inputenc}"?

Greetings from Poland,
Grzesiek

* Re: ConTeXt and latin 2 encoding
@ 1999-09-08  9:32 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-09-08  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: grzegorz.sapijaszko, ntg-context

    Tobias> Hello (halas(?))
    >> I'm a beginner in ConTeXt, and I would like to use a Latin 2
    >> encoding for my ConTeXt files. How can I doing that? Is a
    >> simmilar command to LaTeX "\usepackage[latin2]{inputenc}"?

    Tobias> Try:

    Tobias> \usecodering[il2] % cont-nl \useencoding[il2] %cont-en /
    Tobias> all cont-* \benutzekodierung[il2] %cont-de

This \useencoding should be built in in the latest context-s. Hans
posted some stuff last week that is supposed to work with the plr
fonts, but it is unsure yet whether that actually worked (there was
quite a lot of confusion about whether or not the fonts are really
encoded in il2 && whether the accents are in the correct places).

Context's logic regarding fonts/encodings is somewhat different from
latex's approach, and it works like this:

1. There is an encoding definition file (enco-XXX.tex) for every
   known font encoding. This file contains info about the accent
   location and the uppercase/lowercase mapping (have a look at
   enco-il2.tex if you are curious)

2. Your document's font setup is defined in a font/encoding neutral
   way, using a multi-stage setup that can be overrule almost
   anywhere. This is done in files that start with 'font-', and a short
   sample of such a file could look like:

   \definefontsynonym [Serif]       [LucidaBright]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]   [LucidaBright-Demi]
   \definebodyfont
         [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt]
         [rm,ss,tt]
         [default]

   There is more to this, but the important point is that the document
   font that will be \rm is mapped to the 'Serif' font, which in this
   case is LucidaBright.

3. Finally, there is a table that maps symbolic font names like
   'LucidaBright' to a TFM file on your disk that has a specific
   encoding. (this is done in e.g. font-fil.tex and font-ber.tex)

   \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright][lbr][encoding=texnansi]

   Here the encoding is set, and every time you use this font (lbr.tfm),
   ConTeXt will switch to this encoding.

So, finally, setting up a new font/encoding pair in context is not
really hard, but you need to know the font's encoding, and if context
doesn't know the encoding yet, you have to write an encoding file to
go with the font.

\useencoding should only be needed for encoding files you define
yourself, the ones that come with context are normally preloaded into
the fmt file.

At user level, you only need a \setupbodyfont with the right fonts, and
the encoding will automagically be correct.

    Tobias> I don't know whether you need something else (different
    Tobias> bodyfont or so), Hans?  Taco?

Greetings, Taco

Taco