* Sample of the Day (Example environment)
@ 1999-09-08 19:51 David Arnold
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Arnold @ 1999-09-08 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans,

You asked for some samples of math typesetting. If the group doesn't mind,
I'll do one a day for a while. All, if this bothers you on this list, let
me know and I'll just send them to Hans.

Contrast Context

\defineenumeration
 [example]
 [location=serried,
  text=Example,
  before=\blank,
  after=\blank,
  way=bychapter,
  style=slanted]

\startexample
Use \mat\ to sketch the conic section with equation

\startformula
r=\frac{4}{1+0.5\cos\theta}.
\stopformula

\stopexample

with AMSLatex,

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\newtheorem{example}{Example}[section]

%Special typeset of the Matlab logo
\def\mat{{\rm M}{\sc atlab}}

\begin{document}

\begin{example}
Use \mat\ to sketch the conic section with equation
$$
r=\frac{4}{1+0.5\cos\theta}.
$$
\end{example}

\end{document}

Note the typesetting of \cos\theta in this Context example. The cos gets
set in italic with not very good spacing.

Dvi attached.