From: Taco Hoekwater <taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl>
Subject: Re: sample styles
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 15:04:16 +0000	[thread overview]

    Matthew> I knew this would happen.  Didn't read my Email for 20 or
    Matthew> so hours and now have a mailbox the size of the Bible
    Matthew> *and* missed a really interesting thread.  I agree with
    Matthew> Ed - Hans, your output level is amazing.  I am beginning
    Matthew> to wonder if there is secretly more than one of you :)

German readers should understand why his last name ends with an 'n'.
I suspect that Hans' email is keyed in in India somewhere.

    Matthew> Anyway, back on topic.  I use LaTeX for two things only
    Matthew> now: letters and journal/conference articles.  The former
    Matthew> because the g-brief style happens to produce letters with
    Matthew> the address block so placed that it is visible through
    Matthew> the window of the envelope.  By no means impossible to do
    Matthew> with ConTeXt, but it's already there in LaTeX.

Along with the facility to automagically create labels for closed
envelopes, yes. Very handy.

    Matthew> Journal/conference articles partly because of BibTeX (and
    Matthew> I am planning when I get a chance to have a look at the
    Matthew> new ConTeXt bibliography stuff, btw) and because journal

This is why I am really replying to this message: I have removed a lot
of the problems with the bib stuff, so it is time to do some new tests
with it (hoping someone is inclined to do that).

Rough changes:

   - the layout of the "apa" reference list has been fixed so that
     it is now almost 100% the same as latex's apalike.
   - \thepublications becomes \placepublications and \completepublications
   - minor changes to the bst files
   - lots of internationalization added (still not perfect I suppose)
   - numeric references are optionally sorted & condensed into stuff
	 like "1-5,7"
   - fixes for normal TeX as opposed to e-TeX

This completes my part of m-bib for now, I think. To be done later:

   - Make the code look like the rest of context
   - More internationalization stuff
   - Language-specific labels for 'References' and ' and ' etc.
   - Other bibliography styles
   - Better documentation

Greetings, Taco