* Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05  8:10 Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 1999-11-05  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I have just installed Context and read some of the
documentation.  To be precice, I have red: ConTEXt
an Excursion (nice to see Hasselt being promoted
this way) and some of the on-line short articles.

Maybe I missed something, but I could not find anything
about using existing tex styles. Is this possible?
Sorry if I missed something. I'm just starting.

Also I had problems installing (I am using TeTeX 1.0)
which runs without problems. I have tried to install
ConTeX properly for about three times and then gave up.

What didn't seem to work was that I to comlete
the ``texec --make uk en'' command. This failed over and
over again. I followed the instructions in
  - How to install ConTEXt and
  - TeXEXEC explained;
Is this a known problem?

At the moment it doesn't seem to bother a lot because
ConTEXt does seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerly,

Marc van Dongen
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:   +353 21 903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:     +353 21 903113
  College Road, Cork, Ireland | Email: dongen@cs.ucc.ie

* Re: Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05  9:58 ` Maarten Wisse
From: Maarten Wisse @ 1999-11-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Marc van Dongen wrote:

> Also I had problems installing (I am using TeTeX 1.0)
> which runs without problems. I have tried to install
> ConTeX properly for about three times and then gave up.
>
> What didn't seem to work was that I to comlete
> the ``texec --make uk en'' command. This failed over and
> over again. I followed the instructions in
>   - How to install ConTEXt and
>   - TeXEXEC explained;
> Is this a known problem?

I have exactly the same problem, trying to install the Context version
of the pragma-ade site into my teTeX 0.99 version. I've unpacked the
files in /usr/local/share/texmf, and I try to make the format nl but I
get that the format is not available. A second problem I have is that my
tex-installation does not have pdfetex installed. Is there any
possibility to use the current Context version on teTeX 0.99? By the
way: the install problems I now have are the same as those I had
yesterday, trying to install Context into my TeX Live 4 installation.
Same message. Kpsewhich doesn't complain: cont-nl.tex is present.

> At the moment it doesn't seem to bother a lot because
> ConTEXt does seem to work.

I would be happy if that was true in my case too, but it is not. Nothing
happens apart from complaining about missing format files. Of course,
because I didn't make them.
I hope the experts will provide some help. Thanks in advance.

Maarten Wisse

--
Oops!     /\
          ^^

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Maarten Wisse --]

begin:vcard
n:Wisse;Maarten
tel;home:+31 183 631348
tel;work:+31 30 253 9409
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~mwisse
org:Utrecht University;Philosophy of Religion
adr:;;Kasteleinstraat 11B;Gorinchem;;4204 AN;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:pmwisse@hetnet.nl
title:Drs.
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Maarten Wisse
end:vcard

* Re: Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05 10:50 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-11-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Marc> Hi there, I have just installed Context and read some of the
    Marc> documentation.  To be precice, I have red: ConTEXt an
    Marc> Excursion (nice to see Hasselt being promoted this way) and
    Marc> some of the on-line short articles.

    Marc> Maybe I missed something, but I could not find anything
    Marc> about using existing tex styles. Is this possible?  Sorry if
    Marc> I missed something. I'm just starting.

there are some presentation styles in the distribution and some files
for submission to TeX journal (ntg's maps), but other than that you
are on your own for the moment. we are working on that, but it is not
hard to design your own. have a look at the s-pre-* and s-map* things.

    Marc> Also I had problems installing (I am using TeTeX 1.0) which
    Marc> runs without problems. I have tried to install ConTeX
    Marc> properly for about three times and then gave up.

    Marc> What didn't seem to work was that I to comlete the ``texec
    Marc> --make uk en'' command. This failed over and over again. I
    Marc> followed the instructions in - How to install ConTEXt and -
    Marc> TeXEXEC explained; Is this a known problem?

I'm guessing what your problem is (not enough information), but there
was an obvious problem in my teTeX: the search path did not include
the etex subdirectories while context uses pdfetex as a default. I now
have these lines in texmf.cnf:

TEXINPUTS.context =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.cont-nl =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.cont-en =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//

greetings, taco

* Re: Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05 11:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-05 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marc van Dongen, ConTeXt

Maarten Wisse wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem, trying to install the Context version
> of the pragma-ade site into my teTeX 0.99 version. I've unpacked the
> files in /usr/local/share/texmf, and I try to make the format nl but I
> get that the format is not available. A second problem I have is that my
> tex-installation does not have pdfetex installed. Is there any

Locate texexec.ini and change pdfetex into pdftex or tex.

Or, locate the tetex config file, and change pdfetex there.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05 12:03   ` Maarten Wisse
From: Maarten Wisse @ 1999-11-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> I'm guessing what your problem is (not enough information), but there
> was an obvious problem in my teTeX: the search path did not include
> the etex subdirectories while context uses pdfetex as a default. I now
> have these lines in texmf.cnf:
>
> TEXINPUTS.context =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//
> TEXINPUTS.cont-nl =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//
> TEXINPUTS.cont-en =.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//
>
> greetings, taco

Even this trick does not work on my system.

--
Oops!     /\
          ^^

@ 1999-11-05 14:52   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-11-05 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marc van Dongen, ConTeXt

Maarten Wisse <pmwisse@hetnet.nl> writes:

> Marc van Dongen wrote:
>
> > Also I had problems installing (I am using TeTeX 1.0)
> > which runs without problems. I have tried to install
> > ConTeX properly for about three times and then gave up.
> >
> > What didn't seem to work was that I to comlete
> > the ``texec --make uk en'' command. This failed over and
> > over again. I followed the instructions in
> >   - How to install ConTEXt and
> >   - TeXEXEC explained;
> > Is this a known problem?

You should check out the teTeX mailing list.  (See
http://www.tug.org/tetex/) They can help you configure teTeX to work
with ConTeXt.  I've been doing it a lot recently, but it matters where
you got the teTeX.  If it's rpms, you'll need all the tetex rpms that
you can get.  If it's source, you will be OK.

When I install tetex, I have to generate the formats for context.  To
do that, you can run texconfig as root and select "formats" from the
menu.  texconfig will launch your $EDITOR on the fmtutil.cnf file, and
you can uncomment the lines for context.  They're the lines that start
with "cont-".  When you exit the editor, texconfig will generate the
context formats.

If you have more trouble, including the error messages that you get in
the posts to the tetex mailing list will help other people to know
what's going wrong.

> I have exactly the same problem, trying to install the Context version
> of the pragma-ade site into my teTeX 0.99 version. I've unpacked the
> files in /usr/local/share/texmf, and I try to make the format nl but I
> get that the format is not available. A second problem I have is that my
> tex-installation does not have pdfetex installed. Is there any
> possibility to use the current Context version on teTeX 0.99? By the
> way: the install problems I now have are the same as those I had
> yesterday, trying to install Context into my TeX Live 4 installation.
> Same message. Kpsewhich doesn't complain: cont-nl.tex is present.
>
> > At the moment it doesn't seem to bother a lot because
> > ConTEXt does seem to work.
>
> I would be happy if that was true in my case too, but it is not. Nothing
> happens apart from complaining about missing format files. Of course,
> because I didn't make them.
> I hope the experts will provide some help. Thanks in advance.

I don't know (not an expert), when I get a fresh tetex 1.0, either
from rpms or source, all I have to do is generate the context formats,
and things work fine.  pdfetex is there, etc.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: Using existing tex styles
@ 1999-11-05 15:33     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-11-05 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    Maarten> Even this trick does not work on my system.

It would help if you could cut & paste the actual error.

greetings, taco