* Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-21 10:43 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-04-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \switchtobodyfont[cmr,14.4pt]

Use \setupbodyfont[ber,pos,14.4pt] to switch to postscript fonts for
example.

And probably \setupbodyfont[cmr,14.4pt] to get the cmr fonts.

> - When I run cont-en on my document, it will produce DVI but no PDF.
>   How do achieve PDF output?

Use \setupoutput[pdftex]

If you place it in your local texmf directory in cont-sys.tex than you can
make it the default. You can also use texexec:

	texexec --output=pdftex test

texexec is the recommended way to compile your text.

> - The graphic elements, for some reason, are not created.

Not sure what you mean here. Try using texexec. For inline mpgraphics you
might want to have \runMPgraphicstrue in your source or in cont-sys.tex, and
there should be a line in texmf.cnf saying

shell_escape = t

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-21 11:06 ` Roef Ragas
From: Roef Ragas @ 2000-04-21 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Is it always possible to use fonts in ConTeXt that can be used in LaTeX?
For example:
will \setupbodyfont[bch] work,
like \renewcommand{\familydefault}{bch} in LaTeX?

No, it doesn't ;-D
Why?

--
Roef Ragas

Amsterdam ~ The Netherlands
http://node1b7e.a2000.nl/NIEUW
R.Ragas@hot.a2000.nl

* Re: Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-21 11:33   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Fri 2000-04-21 (13:06), Roef Ragas wrote:

> Is it always possible to use fonts in ConTeXt that can be used in LaTeX?
> For example:
> will \setupbodyfont[bch] work,
> like \renewcommand{\familydefault}{bch} in LaTeX?
>
> No, it doesn't ;-D
> Why?

The font encodings seem to be defined in the font-*.tex files in the
base dir of ConTeXt. In my current version there are the following
letter combinations for *:  ams, ans, ber, cmr, cmx, con, csr,
eul, fil, ibm, il2 (which does not seem to do much), ini, lbr, map,
pcr, phv, pos, ptm, unk, win. These files look a lot easier than the
font definition files with LaTeX, but I don't know wha else do you
need to set up the fonts.

The setting of shell_escape seems to have done the job. Harteljik bedankt,
Berend! The green style is up and running. The only thing is that the forward
button does not work, but this might well be a syntax error in my source.

Johannes Hüsing

* Re: Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-21 11:38   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-04-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: berend, ntg-context

    Roef> Is it always possible to use fonts in ConTeXt that can be
    Roef> used in LaTeX?  For example: will \setupbodyfont[bch] work,
    Roef> like \renewcommand{\familydefault}{bch} in LaTeX?

    Roef> No, it doesn't ;-D Why?

Since we are not supporting LaTeX as a module ;-)
Roef, look back in this list a week or so for a short tutorial
on how to set up fonts for context (new machine, no back log available
to me).

Greetings,

Taco

* Re: Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-27  7:25     ` Roef Ragas
From: Roef Ragas @ 2000-04-27  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Roef, look back in this list a week or so for a short tutorial
> on how to set up fonts for context (new machine, no back log available
> to me).

I haven't got this here, can somebody please post this to me?
Thanks in advance,

Roef

--

@ 2000-04-21 11:11   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-21 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Fri 2000-04-21 (12:47), Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hallo Johannes,
>
> > - I must admit that I got interested in ConTeXt for the eye candy
> >   of the presentations. So first of all: Is there a method to switch
> >   to another font so I can use the presentation modules without having
> >   to buy Lucida fonts? I have tried to use \switchtobodyfont[cmr,14.4pt]
> >   yet the program seems to try and load Lucida first.
> Try this:
> \definefilesynonym [font-lbr] [font-cmr]
> Best in your cont-sys.tex file. (See
> $TEXMF/tex/context/base/cont-sys.rme)

This file does not exist in $TEXMF here.

> > - When I run cont-en on my document, it will produce DVI but no PDF.
> >   How do achieve PDF output?
> If you use texexec, try `texexec --pdf foobar`
> Else: Use \setupoutput[pdftex]
> (see $TEXMF/tex/context/base/spec-ini.tex, bottom of that file)

This works very well, thanks.

> > - The graphic elements, for some reason, are not created. ConTeXt tells
> >   me on execution:
> Can you give some more details (how do you invoke TeX, what is in your
> TeX file).

I do use teTeX and texexec, so pdfetex is called.

This is the source:

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\runMPgraphicstrue
\definefilesynonym[font-lbr][font-cmr]
\usemodule[pre-02]
\language[de]
\starttext

\Topic{Max und Moritz}

\Subject{Vorwort}
\starttyping
Ach, was muss man oft von bösen
Kindern hören oder lesen!
Wie zum Beispiel hier von diesen,
welche Max und Moritz hießen,
die, anstatt durch weise Lehren
sich zum Guten zu bekehren
oftmals noch darüber lachten
und sich heimlich lustig machten.
\stoptyping
\Subject{Erster Streich}
\Subject{Zweiter Streich}
\Subject{Dritter Streich}

\Subject{Vierter Streich}
\starttyping
Also lautet der Beschluss,
dass der Mensch was lernen muss.
\stoptyping
\Subject{Fünfter Streich}
\starttyping
Wer in Dorfe oder Stadt
einen Onkel wohnen hat,
der sei höflich und bescheiden,
denn das mag der Onkel leiden.
\stoptyping
\Subject{Sechster Streich}
\Subject{Letzter Streich}
\Subject{Schluss}
\starttyping
Als man dies im Dorf erfuhr,
war von Trauer keine Spur.
Witwe Bolte, mild und weich,
sprach ``Sieh da, ich dacht' es gleich!''
\stoptyping

\stoptext

> > I mindlessly installed context from a SuSE rpm file within a teTeX tree.
> Which SuSE or which teTeX version?

SuSE 6.3 Context source, TeTeX ChangeLog dates from 1998/09/26.

> teTeX 1.0.x, x < 7 contains a ConTeXt with a small, but ugly \frac{}{}
> bug, which is fixed in 1.0.7 (included in SuSE 6.4), so you may want to
> update your ConTeXt version; current is 2000-03-29 (or 30?).
>

> PS: A fast (at least from the DFN) mirror is
> http://dvi3.tiepmiep.dk/context/

Whoa! Quite fast indeed.

Thanks!

Johannes

* Re: Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-21 10:47 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-04-21 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hallo Johannes,

> - I must admit that I got interested in ConTeXt for the eye candy
>   of the presentations. So first of all: Is there a method to switch
>   to another font so I can use the presentation modules without having
>   to buy Lucida fonts? I have tried to use \switchtobodyfont[cmr,14.4pt]
>   yet the program seems to try and load Lucida first.
Try this:
\definefilesynonym [font-lbr] [font-cmr]
Best in your cont-sys.tex file. (See
$TEXMF/tex/context/base/cont-sys.rme)

> - When I run cont-en on my document, it will produce DVI but no PDF.
>   How do achieve PDF output?
If you use texexec, try `texexec --pdf foobar`
Else: Use \setupoutput[pdftex]
(see $TEXMF/tex/context/base/spec-ini.tex, bottom of that file)

> - The graphic elements, for some reason, are not created. ConTeXt tells
>   me on execution:
Can you give some more details (how do you invoke TeX, what is in your
TeX file).

> I mindlessly installed context from a SuSE rpm file within a teTeX tree.
Which SuSE or which teTeX version?
teTeX 1.0.x, x < 7 contains a ConTeXt with a small, but ugly \frac{}{}
bug, which is fixed in 1.0.7 (included in SuSE 6.4), so you may want to
update your ConTeXt version; current is 2000-03-29 (or 30?).

Regards from Berlin,

Tobias

PS: A fast (at least from the DFN) mirror is
http://dvi3.tiepmiep.dk/context/

* RE: Newbie's questions
       [not found] <20000421111552.45148@spo109.power.uni-essen.de>
@ 2000-04-21 10:46 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-04-21 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I do not have a texmf.cnf file in the /usr/share/texmf tree.

It's in /usr/share/texmf/web2c

> Mooie paasdagen (of hoe zeg jullie dit?)

Probably 'prettige paasdagen', I don't think that there is a standing
sentence for it.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Newbie's questions
@ 2000-04-20 21:10 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear TeXies,

as a total beginner in ConTeXt (although TeX is not entirely new to me)
I have some questions.
I have not found the ConTeXt FAQ anywhere on www.ntg.nl, so I'll
just pose them myself :)

- I must admit that I got interested in ConTeXt for the eye candy
  of the presentations. So first of all: Is there a method to switch
  to another font so I can use the presentation modules without having
  to buy Lucida fonts? I have tried to use \switchtobodyfont[cmr,14.4pt]
  yet the program seems to try and load Lucida first.
- When I run cont-en on my document, it will produce DVI but no PDF.
  How do achieve PDF output?
- The graphic elements, for some reason, are not created. ConTeXt tells
  me on execution:

  figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found

  and it will depict rectangles with text in them in place of the figures.

I mindlessly installed context from a SuSE rpm file within a teTeX tree.
The ConTeXt (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context) tree looks like tis:

/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/context/perltk
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/context/config
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/context/data
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/context/base
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/context/config
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/generic
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/generic/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/latex
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/tex/latex/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/dvips
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/dvips/config
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/config

with files in them too numerous to spread them here.

Thanks for any reaction that brings me towards the solution

Johannes