* texexec: usage, bugs and more
@ 2000-05-10 13:36 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-05-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

by answering "URLs in PDFTeX" the E-Mail grows and grows, so I decided to
start a new thread on texexec and texshow:

I have found texshow.pl that uses the tws-files directly (or generates them
from the source ???).   To understand what's going on, I tried to typeset
texshow.pl but
    texexec --pdf --module texshow.pl
did nothing ...  (no errors and no useful information with --verbose)

Some times later:
by starting texexec withouth the extension it produces the documentation:
    texexec --pdf --module texshow
with a tex-file this works without cutting the extension off:
    texexec --pdf --module s-pre-01.tex
Don't understand this behaviour, because in texexec RumModule() there is an
if-statement asking wether filename plus extension (tex, mp, pl, pm) and
only then processing it.

Why does this work with ".tex" and not ".pl"?
Isn't it better to test for the pure filename too?

The next action in texexec is to call RunPerlScript with
    "--documents $FileName.pl $FileName.pm $FileName.mp $FileName.tex"
maybe there only has to be the actual filename and not the other zombies.
I don't understand this to the ground, but ...

texshow starts with a shebang line.  This line shows up in the typeset
documentation on two mostly empty pages before the titlepage ...

Is it possible to change the output language while processing a module to
say german?  (My dutch is rather basic, to say the least)

And is there a possibility to make interactive coloured module
documentations?  With an index of the defined commands, colour instead
of greyscale and a screen layout -- because most of the docu will be shown
on screen for information purposes.

Is the information used for texshow consistent with the newest commands?

Uwe

P.S.: While playing with texshow I noticed an error in the german
  frontend (besides that texshow is rather slow):
  the command "\about" is translated "\euber".
  I think this has to be "\ueber".

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: texexec: usage, bugs and more
@ 2000-05-10 23:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-10 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:36 PM 5/10/2000 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>I have found texshow.pl that uses the tws-files directly (or generates them
>from the source ???).   To understand what's going on, I tried to typeset
>texshow.pl but
>    texexec --pdf --module texshow.pl
>did nothing ...  (no errors and no useful information with --verbose)

texexec --pdf --modu texshow

(texexec sorts out the suffix itself)

Did you get texshow running? You need to install perl/tk, using the perl
module manager (windows) or your linux install. [btw, active state does a
pretty good job on perl updating].

>Why does this work with ".tex" and not ".pl"?
>Isn't it better to test for the pure filename too?

This has to do with the fact that tex is natural for context and the others
are kind of special and need dedicated pretty printing routines. Also, I
needed it -) then. Some day I'll make a more clever sub.

>The next action in texexec is to call RunPerlScript with
>    "--documents $FileName.pl $FileName.pm $FileName.mp $FileName.tex"
>maybe there only has to be the actual filename and not the other zombies.
>I don't understand this to the ground, but ...

When I clean up the perl scripts I'll have a look. In the mean time, you
may make me a list of todo's, based on this discussion. Maybe others have
wishes too.

>texshow starts with a shebang line.  This line shows up in the typeset
>documentation on two mostly empty pages before the titlepage ...

Yes. I still have to filter that one out.

>Is it possible to change the output language while processing a module to
>say german?  (My dutch is rather basic, to say the least)

I still have to make these files international. Actually making these
public was against my principle of only making documented stuff public.
They used to be at the private task force page.

>And is there a possibility to make interactive coloured module
>documentations?  With an index of the defined commands, colour instead
>of greyscale and a screen layout -- because most of the docu will be shown
>on screen for information purposes.

--mode=color

>Is the information used for texshow consistent with the newest commands?

Probably a bit out of date but not that old. [The new commands are
undocumented anyway].

>P.S.: While playing with texshow I noticed an error in the german
>  frontend (besides that texshow is rather slow):

Hm. Somehow tk is slower on linux than on windows. Maybe a memory problem.

>  the command "\about" is translated "\euber".
>  I think this has to be "\ueber".

Ok. Changed.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec: usage, bugs and more
@ 2000-05-11  9:21   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-05-11  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: koloska, ntg-context

    Hans> Hm. Somehow tk is slower on linux than on windows. Maybe a
    Hans> memory problem.

Not really slower, but it doesn't update the screen that
often. Therefore it looks slower. Adding some

	   $widget->update()

commands in the perl code helps a lot.

Taco