* Context Minimal Linux installation on MAC Leopard
@ 2008-01-09 10:24 Giulio Bertellini
From: Giulio Bertellini @ 2008-01-09 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought I could install the Context Minimal Linux installation also ona
Mac with Leopard. I did not succeed.

Has anybody tried it. What is the suggested minimal distribution for Context
to install on a Mac with Leopard?

All suggestions are welcome.

Giulio Bertellini

* Re: Context Minimal Linux installation on MAC Leopard
@ 2008-01-09 10:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-09 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 9, 2008 11:24 AM, Giulio Bertellini wrote:
> I thought I could install the Context Minimal Linux installation also ona
> Mac with Leopard. I did not succeed.
>
> Has anybody tried it. What is the suggested minimal distribution for Context
> to install on a Mac with Leopard?
>
> All suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm .... that's not a source package, otherwise it would work.
But which "ConTeXt Minimal Linux Intallation" exactly are you talking
about? There is one at pragma website
    http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm
where you need to download macosxtex.zip and justtex.zip, and there's one at
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/
with some not-yet-fully-stable installer which uses rsync to fetch and
update the files.

Mojca

* Re: Context Minimal Linux installation on MAC Leopard
@ 2008-01-09 10:54   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 9, 2008 11:47 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2008 11:24 AM, Giulio Bertellini wrote:
> > I thought I could install the Context Minimal Linux installation also ona
> > Mac with Leopard. I did not succeed.
> >
> > Has anybody tried it. What is the suggested minimal distribution for Context
> > to install on a Mac with Leopard?
> >
> > All suggestions are welcome.
>
> Hmmm .... that's not a source package, otherwise it would work.
> But which "ConTeXt Minimal Linux Intallation" exactly are you talking
> about? There is one at pragma website
>     http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm
> where you need to download macosxtex.zip and justtex.zip, and there's one at
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/
> with some not-yet-fully-stable installer which uses rsync to fetch and
> update the files.

I forgot to answer your main question: on pragma, macosxtex includes
powerpc binaries which should work on any mac. On the garden the
binaries are separate for powerpc and intel, perhaps slightly more
recent and slightly less tested.

I've heard many leopard users complaining, but only about prolems with
compilation. Once compiled on Tiger, the binaries seem to work OK.

Mojca

* Re: Context Minimal Linux installation on MAC Leopard
@ 2008-01-09 13:57     ` Giulio Bertellini
From: Giulio Bertellini @ 2008-01-09 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your reply. Over the weekend, I think I attempted to install
Linux Binaries out of the expectation that Linux binaries would work on any
X86 machine, provided perl and ruby are  available.

I am new to the mac environment and the reason I bought it was to be able to
have a nice user interface on top of a long established BSD UNIX
distribution. I was also assuming that on that type of machine, I could do
what is easily done on a Linux machine.

Giulio

@ 2008-01-09 16:47     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-01-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I could ascertain the compiling problems on MAcOSX 10.5.x
(Leopard) go away when in the CFLAGS is included an architecture
parameter, e.g.
-arch ppc
-arch i386
or more specific mcpu=G5 etc.
It seems otherwise the correct ANSI_C header files are not found by
the gcc compiler.

Hans van der Meer