* [NTG-context] (any) link with document breaks Reader DC
@ 2024-06-25 20:24 Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-06-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

Dear list,

investigating the issue of why Acrobat Reader DC doesn’t recognize
ConTeXt signatures, I related it to another issue.

I use Acrobat Reader DC for Windows at work. DC is regularly updated.

Since a year ago or so, if I open a PDF document (opening Acrobat with
the document) and double-click (sometimes, it may be triple-click) too
fast on a link or a signature field (either to be signed or already
signed), Acrobat Reader crashes.

I have tested sample documents on other computers and with other people
and everybody told me Reader crashed.

BTW, the document structure is perfectly fine (according to the
Arlington PDF model from the PDF specification).

I thought Acrobat Reader DC changed something and this was buggy. I have
been consistently experiencing this issue for about a year, so I took
for granted it was a common bug.

I experienced the crash only with the Spanish version (the one installed
on all tested computers). Although I sometimes I load the English
version by pressing Ctrl when starting Acrobat, right now I cannot say
whether I experienced the crash with the English version loaded.

But this seemed to be not enough, since I have just found out that
Acrobat Reader for Windows and macOS with the US English version may not
crash (I was told).

The sample document contains only a link. It has generated from the
following source:

  \setupinteraction[state=start]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1dk]
    \protected\define[1]\myurl%
      {{\tt\goto{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]}}
  \myurl{https://contextgarden.net}
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

Sorry for asking for this, but would you be so kind to compile (or
download the attachment) and open it with an updated Acrobat (opening
Acrobat with the document)?

I need that you double (or triple) click on the link (to the Garden) as
fast as you can.

Either if this crashes Acrobat or not, I would really appreciate if you
could tell me which is your OS and language version of Acrobat.

I’m affraid I cannot tell yet what may be triggering the crash, but I
view PDF in Windows with SumatraPDF.

When I open them with Acrobat and click on any kind of link too fast, I
get back to SumatraPDF (since Acrobat crashed and dissapeared).

Excuse for what it seems to be a tricky issue with Acrobat (the
signature being way more important than the crash 😅).

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: sample-link.pdf --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: (any) link with document breaks Reader DC
@ 2024-06-26  6:13 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-06-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 25.06.24 um 22:24 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
> Sorry for asking for this, but would you be so kind to compile (or
> download the attachment) and open it with an updated Acrobat (opening
> Acrobat with the document)?
>
> I need that you double (or triple) click on the link (to the Garden) as
> fast as you can.

Hi Pablo,

MacOS 10.15 with Acrobat Reader 2024.002 (Build: 24.2.20857.0)

first time, Acrobat asks for permission to open the link, after that I
can klick as often as I like, and it opens the website for every klick
(i.e. twice for a doubleclick). No crashes so far.

Same behavior if I compile the code myself.

I experience frequent crashes of Acrobat Reader when I work with
annotations (correction workflow), but that’s a different problem.

Hraban

@ 2024-06-26 16:01   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-06-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 6/26/24 08:13, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 25.06.24 um 22:24 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
>> Sorry for asking for this, but would you be so kind to compile (or
>> download the attachment) and open it with an updated Acrobat (opening
>> Acrobat with the document)?
>>
>> I need that you double (or triple) click on the link (to the Garden) as
>> fast as you can.
>
> Hi Pablo,
>
> MacOS 10.15 with Acrobat Reader 2024.002 (Build: 24.2.20857.0)

Hi Hraban,

many thanks for your reply, it helps me a lot.

> first time, Acrobat asks for permission to open the link, after that I
> can klick as often as I like, and it opens the website for every klick
> (i.e. twice for a doubleclick). No crashes so far.

If it asks for permission, it is working fine.

It might be (a wild guess, since I don’t have access to  macOS system)
that the issue only happens with Windows computers.

BTW, I have just consistenly experienced it on another Windows computer.

> I experience frequent crashes of Acrobat Reader when I work with
> annotations (correction workflow), but that’s a different problem.

I see. I would really like to have at least a message from the command
line (command prompt [as I guess Windows calls it]), so it might point
to the cause of the crash.

Again, many thanks for your help,

Pablo

@ 2024-06-27  8:03     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2024-06-27  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 26 Jun 2024, at 18:01, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> If it asks for permission, it is working fine.
>
> It might be (a wild guess, since I don’t have access to  macOS system)
> that the issue only happens with Windows computers.
>
> BTW, I have just consistenly experienced it on another Windows computer.

On my Mac it did not crash, but that is a Reader from 2021 that I am not willing to
upgrade so I am not sure how useful that information is.

I also installed a new Reader on my Windows 11 machine, and that one worked ok as well.
It says “Continuous Release | Version 2024.002.20857 | 64 bit”, and it is the Win 11
specific EN (US) version.

Best wishes,
Taco

@ 2024-06-27 12:04       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-06-27 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/27/2024 10:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> On 26 Jun 2024, at 18:01, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> If it asks for permission, it is working fine.
>>
>> It might be (a wild guess, since I don’t have access to  macOS system)
>> that the issue only happens with Windows computers.
>>
>> BTW, I have just consistenly experienced it on another Windows computer.
>
> On my Mac it did not crash, but that is a Reader from 2021 that I am not willing to
> upgrade so I am not sure how useful that information is.
>
> I also installed a new Reader on my Windows 11 machine, and that one worked ok as well.
> It says “Continuous Release | Version 2024.002.20857 | 64 bit”, and it is the Win 11
> specific EN (US) version.
it also opens here after asking of that link is okay (same version)

anyway, i noticed that the (messier by the day) user interface now
offers "AI assistent, full access" and "Generative Summary, full acess"
as well as some button in the top right corner with a weird attention
seeking coloring os maybe i should remove rader or at least start
thinking about quarantaining it in itrs own vm, one never knows

(it's a bit frightening to see what something as simple as pdf is
turning into: ecosystems, dependencies, business models, hypes, etc)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-27 17:37       ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-06-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 6/27/24 10:03, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> [...]
> On my Mac it did not crash, but that is a Reader from 2021 that I am
> not willing to upgrade so I am not sure how useful that information
> is.
Many thanks for your reply, Taco.

I suspect that macOS may not be affected by this issue.

> I also installed a new Reader on my Windows 11 machine, and that one
> worked ok as well. It says “Continuous Release | Version
> 2024.002.20857 | 64 bit”, and it is the Win 11 specific EN (US)
> version.

Well, I would like to know why my case (and other people I asked) is
different.

Both Windows and Acrobat Reader in Spanish?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

@ 2024-06-27 17:45         ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-06-27 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 6/27/24 14:04, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 6/27/2024 10:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> [...]
>> I also installed a new Reader on my Windows 11 machine, and that
>> one worked ok as well. It says “Continuous Release | Version
>> 2024.002.20857 | 64 bit”, and it is the Win 11 specific EN (US)
>> version.>
> it also opens here after asking of that link is okay (same version)

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

It seems that the crash only happens to me.

> anyway, i noticed that the (messier by the day) user interface now
> offers "AI assistent, full access" and "Generative Summary, full acess"
> as well as some button in the top right corner with a weird attention
> seeking coloring os maybe i should remove reader or at least start
> thinking about quarantaining it in itrs own vm, one never knows

At least the Spanish version doesn’t have that (yet, I’m afraid).

> (it's a bit frightening to see what something as simple as pdf is
> turning into: ecosystems, dependencies, business models, hypes, etc)

I think this is the whole thing with AI, the vast majority of people may
not be benefiting from it.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl