* Footnotes in xtables
@ 2019-04-30  6:33 Clyde Johnston
From: Clyde Johnston @ 2019-04-30  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you get footnotes to work in xtables?  I get the superscript next to
the text but the footnote does not appear at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, Clyde

MWE:

\starttext

    \startxtable

        \startxrow

            \startxcell Alpha \stopxcell

            \startxcell Beta\footnote{Footnote Here} \stopxcell

        \stopxrow

        \startxrow

            \startxcell Beta \stopxcell

            \startxcell Alpha\stopxcell

        \stopxrow

    \stopxtable

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: mwe.pdf --]

* Re: Footnotes in xtables
@ 2019-04-30  7:45 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-04-30  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Clyde,

In order to use footnotes in tables, you can use localfootnotes as in the following:

\startlocalfootnotes
	\startxtable
		\startxrow
			\startxcell Alpha \stopxcell
			\startxcell Beta\footnote{Footnote Here} \stopxcell
		\stopxrow
		\startxrow
			\startxcell Beta \stopxcell
			\startxcell Alpha\stopxcell
		\stopxrow
	\stopxtable
\placelocalfootnotes
\stoplocalfootnotes

Then the footnotes appear below the table.

However it seems that the localfootnotes mechanism is conflicting with \startpalectable...\stoplacetable.

Best regards: OK

> On 30 Apr 2019, at 08:33, Clyde Johnston <context@couthies.com> wrote:
>
> How do you get footnotes to work in xtables?  I get the superscript next to the text but the footnote does not appear at the bottom of the page.
>
> Thanks, Clyde
>
> MWE:
>
> \starttext
>     \startxtable
>         \startxrow
>             \startxcell Alpha \stopxcell
>             \startxcell Beta\footnote{Footnote Here} \stopxcell
>         \stopxrow
>         \startxrow
>             \startxcell Beta \stopxcell
>             \startxcell Alpha\stopxcell
>         \stopxrow
>     \stopxtable
> \stoptext
> <mwe.pdf>___________________________________________________________________________________

> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Footnotes in xtables
@ 2019-04-30  7:55   ` Clyde Johnston
From: Clyde Johnston @ 2019-04-30  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I can live with this solution.  Thanks very much.

@ 2019-05-01 13:56   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-05-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2019-04-30 um 09:45 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:

> Hi Clyde,
>
> In order to use footnotes in tables, you can use localfootnotes as in the following:
>
> \startlocalfootnotes
> 	\startxtable
> 		\startxrow
> 			\startxcell Alpha \stopxcell
> 			\startxcell Beta\footnote{Footnote Here} \stopxcell
> 		\stopxrow
> 		\startxrow
> 			\startxcell Beta \stopxcell
> 			\startxcell Alpha\stopxcell
> 		\stopxrow
> 	\stopxtable
> \placelocalfootnotes
> \stoplocalfootnotes
>
> Then the footnotes appear below the table.
>
> However it seems that the localfootnotes mechanism is conflicting with \startpalectable...\stoplacetable.

Is there a way to handle footnotes in tables like regular footnotes, i.e. combine numbering and placement?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Footnotes in xtables
@ 2019-05-01 16:17     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-05-01 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Henning

> On 1 May 2019, at 15:56, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>> […]
>
> Is there a way to handle footnotes in tables like regular footnotes, i.e. combine numbering and placement?

Hi Henning,

The answer is yes as in the following example (thanks to Wolfgang for pointing to \startpostponingnotes…).

%%% begin footnote-global-xtable.tex
\starttext
A silly one here\footnote{Here is a silly footnote.}
\startpostponingnotes
\startplacetable[location=middle,reference={tab:1}]
	\startxtable
		\startxrow
			\startxcell Alpha \stopxcell
			\startxcell Beta\footnote{This is a footnote in \in{Table}[tab:1] } \stopxcell
		\stopxrow
		\startxrow
			\startxcell Beta \stopxcell
			\startxcell Alpha\stopxcell
		\stopxrow
	\stopxtable
\stopplacetable
\stoppostponingnotes

Another serious one here\footnote{Here is a serious footnote.}
\stoptext
%%% end footnote-global-xtable.tex

Best regards: OK