* color band
@ 2003-03-22 22:59 Idris S Hamid
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-22 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

For a book cover I want a green-colored rectangular band, centered, at
the very top of the page, with text in some other color (to be
determined) overlapping the band. The band is small, just, say, 2cm high
and 12 cm wide. Since it's at the top it is surrounded by white on only
three sides. I'm not even sure where to get started here (I don't think
the LaTeX Graphics Companion will be much help:->)

Here is part of my present layout. I'll have to put this band in the
topspace and increase it, I presume:

\definepapersize[journal][width=5.5in,
                        height=8.5in]
\setuppapersize[journal][letter]

\setuplayout[width=middle,
|             height=19cm,
|             footer=0cm,
|             header=0cm,
|             topspace=28pt,
|             location={middle,doublesided},
|             marking=on]

I hope the solution is Plain-compatible since I may have to use Gamma
for some Arabic insertions. Otherwise I'll have to eps those insertions.

Thnx in advance
Idris

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-23  2:07 ` Matthew Huggett
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-03-23  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid wrote:

>Dear syndicate,
>
>For a book cover I want a green-colored rectangular band, centered, at
>the very top of the page, with text in some other color (to be
>determined) overlapping the band. The band is small, just, say, 2cm high
>and 12 cm wide. Since it's at the top it is surrounded by white on only
>three sides. I'm not even sure where to get started here

How about using layers and a grid for your cover page.  You might try:

\setuplayout[grid=yes,columns=Some-Value, columndistance=Some-Value]
\definelayer[page] \setupbackgrounds[pagegraphics]
[background=pagegraphics] % I'm not %100 sure here-- see details.pdf
regarding overlays and ornaments

\setlayer[page][location=grid, column=Your-Column-Choice,
line=The-base-line-for-your-color-band] % line= 4?

{\framed[height=2cm,width=12cm,frame=off,background=color,backgroundcolor=green,
foregroundcolor=Your-Color]
       {Your-Text}}

I had some luck this way making handouts for classes.  I don't know if
it will work with your Omega/Gamma setup though.  You'll also need to
make sure that layers are supported in your version of ConTeXt.  I had
to upgrade mine before it would work.  You should check out details.pdf
if you haven't done so already.  Hans has given some good examples there.

Best Wishes,

Matt

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-23  7:47 ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-03-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

> Dear syndicate,
>
> For a book cover I want a green-colored rectangular band, centered, at
> the very top of the page, with text in some other color (to be
> determined) overlapping the band. The band is small, just, say, 2cm
> high and 12 cm wide. Since it's at the top it is surrounded by white
> on only three sides. I'm not even sure where to get started here (I
> don't think the LaTeX Graphics Companion will be much help:->)

The LaTeX Graphics Companion always helps; in this case chapter 3.  In
chapter 3, you'll find an excellent package called mfpic (I've been
meaning to trial it with ConTeXt, but have just put it off).  The
package mfpic is plain-compatible and is a much better solution to the
one I'm posting.  Note: this is a plain-TeX file and should be run
with command the pdfTeX.

If this file doesn't work on your system, it's because to get the kind
of access privileges to run it, you may have to sleep with your
computer technician.

-----

%output=pdf
\input supp-pdf
\immediate\openout0=\jobname.mp
\toks0={beginfig(1)
          verbatimtex
            \font\titlefont=cmr7 scaled \magstep 5
          etex ;
          fill unitsquare xscaled 12cm yscaled 2cm withcolor 0.5green ;
          label.top(btex \titlefont My label etex,(6cm,0.5cm))
               withcolor white;
        endfig;
        end .}
\immediate\write0{\the\toks0}
\immediate\closeout0
\immediate\write18{mpost \jobname.mp}

\centerline{\convertMPtoPDF{\jobname.1}{1}{1}}

\vskip 3cm

\noindent MY ABSTRACT

\bye

-----

Although the metapost graphic looks imposing, it is fairly
self-contained, with the title font switch (\titlefont) declared in
the verbatimtex block, and the position of the title text inside the
green rectangular band being positioned manually at (6cm,0.5cm).
Similary, I've chosen the color of the rectangle by eye (0.5green) and
the color of the text (white).

> [snipped]

If you're having trouble with the \shipout routine, best follow up to
comp.text.tex (even though Hans Hagen's handle on plain-TeX is second
only to DEK's).

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-23  8:56 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-23  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Idris,

I don't know where exactly you want the green-colored rectangular
band.

Perhaps this one will do what you need:

\defineoverlay[helloidris][{\red Hello Idris}]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\showframe
\starttext
\setuplayout[top=3cm]
\setupbackgrounds[top][text]
        [background={color,helloidris},backgroundcolor=green]
\input tufte
\stoptext

Patrick

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-23 21:15   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-23 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guy Worthington wrote:

> If you're having trouble with the \shipout routine, best follow up to
> comp.text.tex (even though Hans Hagen's handle on plain-TeX is second
> only to DEK's).

This may be politically incorrect, but after watching Hans sometimes I think
its DEK who is in second place!

Idris

* Re: color band
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-23 22:04 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

Thanks for all the responses; I'll look at them closely. Still no internet
at home so I worked out a couple of  things earlier before getting to my
email. Some problems are solved, others remain. In particular, the key,
backgroundcolor=<color>, appears to be broken. Here is the relevant code for
my cover:

=========================
%\setupoutput[pdftex] %
\definepapersize[journal][width=5.5in,
                        height=8.5in]
\setuppapersize[journal][letter]
\setuplayout[top=2cm,marking=on] %
\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
|               \vbox{\hsize=7cm
|               \setupcolors[state=start]
|               \setupbackground[
|                                foregroundcolor=darkgreen,
|                                backgroundcolor=darkyellow
|                                ]
|               \startbackground
|               \hbox{}\vskip14pt
|               \midaligned{\tfa THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}

|               \stopbackground
|               }
|              }
|             }

\setuptoptexts[\ALAVIband]

\defineoverlay[backgr][{\externalfigure[mbor-026.eps]}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][leftedge][background=backgr,backgroundcolor=darkgreen]

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext
=========================

Problems:

1. For the def. of \ALAVIband, the key, backgroundcolor=darkyellow, does not
work; I still get grey.

2. For overlay I want to something different for the front and back cover;
in the above example they are combined. Overlaying an eps appears to work as

expected. But overlaying the entire page in some color does not work at all.
Again,
the key, backgroundcolor=darkyellow, does not work;

3. Is there a way to precisely make the top of the \ALAVIband flush with the
top edge of the paper? If you change \hsize in the \vbox to 15cm, you will
see that the grey band is just higher than the crop marks.

Thanks to all for their kind help.

Best
Idris

* Re[2]: color band
@ 2003-03-23 22:09   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-23 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunday, March 23, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

ISH> 1. For the def. of \ALAVIband, the key,
ISH> backgroundcolor=darkyellow, does not work; I still get grey.

You need to specify both background=color and
backgroundcolor=darkyellow, AFAIK.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-23 22:24     ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You need to specify both background=color and
> backgroundcolor=darkyellow, AFAIK.

I just tried this, now I lose the (formerly grey) background band
completey; and there is no effect in the overlay:

==============
\def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
|               \vbox{\hsize=15cm
|               \setupcolors[state=start]
|               \setupbackground[background=color, %%% your change
|                                foregroundcolor=darkgreen,
|                                backgroundcolor=darkblue
|                                ]
|               \startbackground
|               \hbox{}\vskip14pt
|               \midaligned{\tfa THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}

|               \stopbackground
|               }
|              }
|             }

-------

\setupbackgrounds[page][leftedge][background=color,  %%% your change
|                                  background=backgr,
|                                  backgroundcolor=darkgreen]

==============

Any ideas?

Best
Idris

* Re[2]: color band
@ 2003-03-23 23:07       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-23 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunday, March 23, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

>> You need to specify both background=color and
>> backgroundcolor=darkyellow, AFAIK.

ISH> I just tried this, now I lose the (formerly grey) background band
ISH> completey; and there is no effect in the overlay:

ISH> ==============
ISH> \def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
ISH> |               \vbox{\hsize=15cm
ISH> |               \setupcolors[state=start]
ISH> |               \setupbackground[background=color, %%% your change
ISH> |                                foregroundcolor=darkgreen,
ISH> |                                backgroundcolor=darkblue
ISH> |                                ]
ISH> |               \startbackground
ISH> |               \hbox{}\vskip14pt
ISH> |               \midaligned{\tfa THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}

ISH> |               \stopbackground
ISH> |               }
ISH> |              }
ISH> |             }

Looks like a bug in the backgrounds system. In the mean time, what
about this?

\defineframed[alaviframe][
                  frame=off,
                  background=color,
                  backgroundcolor=yellow,
                  foregroundcolor=darkgreen,
                  align=middle,
                  foregroundstyle=\tfa,
                  width=15cm,
                  ]
\def\ALAVIband{%
\alaviframe{\noindent\vskip14pt THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}
}

* Re[3]: color band
@ 2003-03-23 23:30         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-23 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, March 24, 2003 Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

GB> Sunday, March 23, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

>>> You need to specify both background=color and
>>> backgroundcolor=darkyellow, AFAIK.

ISH>> I just tried this, now I lose the (formerly grey) background band
ISH>> completey; and there is no effect in the overlay:

GB> Looks like a bug in the backgrounds system.

I think I spotted the error: Hans, it seems that localframed stuff
doesn't look for the achtergrondkleur anywhere ...

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: color band
@ 2003-03-24  9:29         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-24  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:07 AM 3/24/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Sunday, March 23, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:
>
> >> You need to specify both background=color and
> >> backgroundcolor=darkyellow, AFAIK.
>
>ISH> I just tried this, now I lose the (formerly grey) background band
>ISH> completey; and there is no effect in the overlay:
>
>ISH> ==============
>ISH> \def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
>ISH> |               \vbox{\hsize=15cm
>ISH> |               \setupcolors[state=start]
>ISH> |               \setupbackground[background=color, %%% your change
>ISH> |                                foregroundcolor=darkgreen,
>ISH> |                                backgroundcolor=darkblue
                                                                ^ put the,
or ] here

otherwise the color is "darkblue " which is not defined

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-25 15:31           ` Idris S Hamid
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> >ISH> ==============
> >ISH> \def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
>                                                                 ^ put the,
> or ] here

This is interesting. So there cannot be any space between the last key of an
option set and the <]> that ends that option set.

But what about overlays over color. They still don't work:

================
%\setupoutput[pdftex] %
\definepapersize[journal][width=5.5in,
                        height=8.5in]
\setuppapersize[journal][letter]
\setuplayout[top=2cm,marking=on,width=middle,location=middle] %
\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\defineoverlay[backgr][{\externalfigure[elements2.eps]}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][leftedge][background=color,
                                  background=backgr,
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext
===============

I get the backgr image but not the color.

Best
Idris

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-25 17:10             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-25 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:31 AM 3/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>\defineoverlay[backgr][{\externalfigure[elements2.eps]}]
>\setupbackgrounds[page][leftedge][background=color,
>                                   background=backgr,
>                                   backgroundcolor=green]

....,background={color,backgr},....

@ 2003-03-25 17:14             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

Hello Idris,

> But what about overlays over color. They still don't work:

There are two problems here. First, say background={color,backgr}
with setupbackgrounds. But this won't help ;-) since the
setupbackground is sometimes a bit strange (see below).

I bet the leftedge is 0pt (test with showmakeup or my t-layout
module, say \ShowModule[showmore=1]) so you won't be able to see
anything colored.

\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

When you use \setupbackgrounds[page]... you access the whole page
(!). Not just any margin or textarea. So there you probably need some
metapost hacking (easy) in order to get your green side. See the
metafun manual or my page.pdf.

Patrick

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-25 22:25               ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-25 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:
>
> Hello Idris,
>
> > But what about overlays over color. They still don't work:
>
> There are two problems here. First, say background={color,backgr}
> with setupbackgrounds. But this won't help ;-) since the
> setupbackground is sometimes a bit strange (see below).
>
> I bet the leftedge is 0pt (test with showmakeup or my t-layout
> module, say \ShowModule[showmore=1]) so you won't be able to see
> anything colored.

I don't get this. My background image comes out at the center of the
page;
why doesn't the color follow suit?

Anyway,

\defineoverlay[backgr][{\externalfigure[elements2.eps]}]
\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

still gives me no overlayed color.

> When you use \setupbackgrounds[page]... you access the whole page
> (!). Not just any margin or textarea. So there you probably need some
> metapost hacking (easy) in order to get your green side. See the
> metafun manual or my page.pdf.

I don't know metapost (yet, its on my to-learn list); is there something
I can do to get this solved in the meantime?

Sincere Thnx to all for their help
Idris

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-25 22:41                 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-03-25 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:25:10 -0700
Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> wrote:

> I don't get this. My background image comes out at the center of the
> page;
> why doesn't the color follow suit?

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but I have an example of
backgrounds, layers, and x-y positioning on my page:

   http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html

The general method I use is something like:

\useexternalfigure[mars-graphic][marsphoto][type=png, width=1.6049in,
height=1.6049in]
\definelayer[mars-layer]
\defineoverlay[mars-overlay][\composedlayer{mars-layer}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={...,mars-overlay,...}]
\setlayer[mars-layer][x=0.8333in,y=6.395in]{\externalfigure[mars-graphi
c]}

where "..." indicates other overlays. For the actual background I use an
image that simply contains the color I need.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-25 22:44                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-25 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

Hello Idris,

> I don't get this. My background image comes out at the center of the
> page;
> why doesn't the color follow suit?

\setupbackgrounds[page][ignored][background={color,backgr},backgroundcolor=blue]
should give you a blue page with the backgr overlay.

The following code should give you a white page with some text and a
left green margin with "Picture" text.

\setupcolors[state=start]
\defineoverlay[backgr][Picture]
\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

\starttext
Hello, Idris.
\stoptext

> still gives me no overlayed color.
you have set \setupcolors[state=start] ?

> I don't know metapost (yet, its on my to-learn list); is there something
> I can do to get this solved in the meantime?

Yes: write exactly where you want which color (margin, edge,
top.... ) and we provide you a simple metapost code :)

Patrick

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-26  7:31               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-26  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:14 PM 3/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:
>
>Hello Idris,
>
> > But what about overlays over color. They still don't work:
>
>There are two problems here. First, say background={color,backgr}
>with setupbackgrounds. But this won't help ;-) since the
>setupbackground is sometimes a bit strange (see below).
>
>I bet the leftedge is 0pt (test with showmakeup or my t-layout
>module, say \ShowModule[showmore=1]) so you won't be able to see
>anything colored.
>
>\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
>                                   backgroundcolor=green]
>
>When you use \setupbackgrounds[page]... you access the whole page
>(!). Not just any margin or textarea. So there you probably need some
>metapost hacking (easy) in order to get your green side. See the
>metafun manual or my page.pdf.

it may help to know that there is a predefined path OverlayBox:

\startuniqueMPgraphic{myback}
   fill OverlayBox withcolor red ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

or

   fill OverlayBox enlarged 2pt withcolor red (for a bleed)

or

   fill OverlayBox leftenlarged 3pt ...
   setbounds currentpicture to OverlayBox

or

  StartPage ;
  StopPage ;

  if needed : setbounds currentpicture to Page ;

also, you can say:

   \setuplayout[clipoffset=3pt]

to get nicely clipped pages

@ 2003-03-26  8:01             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-26  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

Hi,

[...]
>>                                                                 ^ put the,
>> or ] here
>
> This is interesting. So there cannot be any space between the last key of an
> option set and the <]> that ends that option set.

you can say \something[a=b,
                       c=d,
                       ]

Patrick

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-27 15:42                   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-27 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> > still gives me no overlayed color.
> you have set \setupcolors[state=start] ?

That was the culprit, apparently. I defined it in my definition for the color band
but since it was grouped in that def it did not transfer. Now the original [page]
option works as expected; [text] [leftmargin] places color in the left margin. This
is the working file, if any wants to play with it:

Best wishes
Idris

==================
%\setupoutput[pdftex] %
\definepapersize[journal][width=5.5in,
                        height=8.5in]
\setuppapersize[journal][letter]
\setuplayout[top=2cm,marking=on,width=middle,location=middle] %
\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\def\ALAVIband{\midaligned{
               \vbox{\hsize=7cm
               \setupcolors[state=start]
               \setupbackground[background=color,
                                foregroundcolor=white,
                                backgroundcolor=blue,
                                ]

               \startbackground
               \hbox{}\vskip14pt
               \midaligned{\tfa THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}

               \stopbackground
               }
              }
             }

\setuptoptexts[\ALAVIband]
\defineoverlay[backgr][{\externalfigure[elements2.eps]}]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbackgrounds[page][leftmargin][background={color,backgr},
                                  backgroundcolor=green]

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext
==================

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-27 15:45                   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-27 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thnx once again to everyone who helped. Your suggestions will all help me improve
things immensely beyond the initial ideas I submitted.

Thnx again
Idris

* Re: color band
@ 2003-03-27 16:20                     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-27 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

Hello Idris and ohters,

> That was the culprit, apparently.

nice to hear its working.

[...]

> Now the original [page] option works as expected; [text]
> [leftmargin] places color in the left margin. This is the working
> file, if any wants to play with it:

It gets spread on the whole page when I run your ConTeXt
file. Strange.

Patrick

* Re: Re: color band
@ 2003-03-27 17:16                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-27 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:42 AM 3/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:

\startsetups[Aband]

>\midaligned{
              ^ in your current version this will lead to a funny space

>                \vbox{\hsize=7cm
>                \setupcolors[state=start]
>                \setupbackground[background=color,
>                                 foregroundcolor=white,
>                                 backgroundcolor=blue,
>                                 ]
>
>                \startbackground
>                \hbox{}\vskip14pt
>                \midaligned{\tfa THE ALAVI FOUNDATION}
>
>                \stopbackground
>                }
>               }

\stopsetups

>\setuptoptexts[\ALAVIband]

\setuptoptexts[\setups{Aband}]

looks more readable and is also not sensible for spaces and empty lines

@ 2003-03-27 21:38                       ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-03-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> > Now the original [page] option works as expected; [text]
> > [leftmargin] places color in the left margin. This is the working
> > file, if any wants to play with it:
>
> It gets spread on the whole page when I run your ConTeXt
> file. Strange.

Here is my version from log:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-pre-1.0-unofficial-20010704-2.1 (Web2c
7.3.3.1) (format=cont-en 2003.2.13)  27 MAR 2003 14:19
:
ConTeXt  ver: 2003.2.11  fmt: 2003.2.13  int: english  mes: english

Maybe one of us has a bug...

Best wishes, and thnx again 4 your help.
Idris