* Is startcombination ... stopcombination broken?
@ 2005-04-06 12:37 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-04-06 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to bring two pictures next to each other by using
\startcombination, but I always get this error (on my box + on
contextgarden):

! Missing { inserted.
<to be read again>
                    \egroup
l.5 \stopcombination

?
! Emergency stop.
<to be read again>
                    \egroup
l.5 \stopcombination

Minimal example:

\starttext
\startcombination[2]
\framed{here}
\framed{there}
\stopcombination
\stoptext

I have tried with all kinds of braces in all possible places, to no
avail. Or am I missing anything terribly obvious?

Best

Thomas

* Re: Is startcombination ... stopcombination broken?
@ 2005-04-06 12:43 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-04-06 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas,

there is a working example of startcombination in
<http://texshow.contextgarden.net/cmd=placefloat>.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: Is startcombination ... stopcombination broken?
@ 2005-04-06 12:51   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-04-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

\starttext
\startcombination[2]
\framed{here}{}
\framed{there}{}
\stopcombination
\stoptext

Matthias

@ 2005-04-06 12:53 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2005-04-06 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Minimal example:
>
> \starttext
> \startcombination[2]
> \framed{here}
> \framed{there}
> \stopcombination
> \stoptext
>
> I have tried with all kinds of braces in all possible places, to no
> avail. Or am I missing anything terribly obvious?

It is not terribly obvious, but your \framed commands are missing a
second argument, see the big manual, p. 227, where it gives the model:

\startcombination[n*m]
	{text1}{subcaption 1}
	{text2}{subcaption 2}
	....... .............
\stopcombination

and says: "The second argument can be empty: {xxxx}{}." That kind of
implies that the braces in the second argument are necessary and
apparently that's what texexec is complaining about...

This works for me:
% ------------------
\starttext

\startcombination[2]
   \framed{here}{}
   \framed{there}{}
\stopcombination

\stoptext
% ------------------

So just add the two pairs of braces after your \framed and things should
work out!

Mari
(who's had her share of 'why in the #¤% doesn't my combination work')

* Re: Is startcombination ... stopcombination broken?
@ 2005-04-06 14:05   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-04-06 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mari,

thanks so much, that was it! Yes, the 'why in the #¤%' was on my mind,
too! I'm using ConTeXt for my presentations this term, so I have to
place externalfigures all the time. Phew, thanks!

Best

Thomas