* Endnotes and pagenumbering
@ 2003-09-21  4:42 Larry Stamm
From: Larry Stamm @ 2003-09-21  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm just learning ConTeXt, and am having a couple of problems with a
document right now:

1.  I'm try to set footnotes as endnotes at the end of every chapter,
and have used
	\setupfootnotes[location=text,
		way=bychapter,
		conversion=numbers,
		rule=on]

in my environment file, and use
	\placefootnotes

at the end of the chapters.  The endnotes are placed where I want, but
there is no horizontal rule between the body text and the endnotes, and
the numbering of the endnotes starts afresh with every new page in the
chapter instead of being a continuous series.
So I get endnotes numbered like 1,2,1,1,2,3,1,2....  instead of
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.....

I've tried way=bypart and way=bytext and location=page in the setups,
and it didn't affect the endnote typesetting at all.  How to fix...?

2.  I have been requested to get rid of all blank pages in the final
pdf file, but keep the doublesided layout and numbering.  Currently the
page number is placed on the outside top margin.  Putting
alternative=singlesided in the pagenumbering setup gets rid of the blank
pages but also will put every other page number on the inside when
printed duplex.  So is there a way to set no blank pages but still have
doublesided pagenumbering within ConTeXt, or will I have to do some post
processing of the output file?

Regards,

--
Larry Stamm
http://www.larrystamm.com

* Re: Endnotes and pagenumbering
@ 2003-09-21 13:41 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-21 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

"Larry Stamm" <larry@larrystamm.com> writes:

> 2.  I have been requested to get rid of all blank pages in the final
> pdf file,

could you tell us where those empty pages are? And perhaps provide a
minimal but complete example?

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re:Endnotes and pagenumbering
@ 2003-09-21 19:26 ` Larry Stamm
From: Larry Stamm @ 2003-09-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Stamm <larry@larrystamm.com> writes:

   > 2.  I have been requested to get rid of all blank pages in the
    > final pdf file, but keep the doublesided layout and numbering.

The blank pages I was referring to are the ones inserted after a chapter
ending to make the next chapter start on the recto page.

I have fixed this by using  \setuphead[page=yes] .
The use of the variable "yes" in that setting confused me a bit, so I
didn't think to try it at first.

I'm still looking for a solution to the endnote numbering
problem,though.

Regards,
--

@ 2003-09-21 20:01   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Stamm" <larry@larrystamm.com> writes:

Hi,

> I have fixed this by using  \setuphead[page=yes] .
> The use of the variable "yes" in that setting confused me a bit, so I
> didn't think to try it at first.

You know it now, but anyway: the page=yes tells ConTeXt "please begin
on a new page", page=right means "new page, but it must be odd".

> I'm still looking for a solution to the endnote numbering
> problem,though.

Can't help you here, sorry.

Patrick
--