* (Most) stable minimal for Mac Intel
@ 2008-01-21 17:28 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-01-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi folks,

after hesitating for a while I've decided to take the plunge and dive
into LuaTeX finally. I'm just a bit confused about what the most
stable release of LuaTeX is at the moment and where to get it ... from
Pragma or the garden? There is a minimal distribution dated 2007-08-08
at Pragma but it appears slightly outdated ... shall I still get this
one or is there a later version which also runs more or less smoothly?
I'd be glad if someone pointed  me to the "right" minimal ... by the
way, my machine is an Intel Mac equipped with Leopard.

Thanks for your help,
Oliver

* Re: (Most) stable minimal for Mac Intel
@ 2008-01-21 18:21 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                      I'm just a bit confused about what the most
> stable release of LuaTeX is at the moment and where to get it ... from
> Pragma or the garden?

  Neither.  The source for the LuaTeX binaries is the Supélec GForge
repository (cross-referenced from luatex.org):

	http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10

  It contains binaries for every beta version, not only the latest one;
but as a rule you should better take the latest beta release if you have
a recent ConTeXt: Mark IV often relies on very recent LuaTeX features,
so older binaries will *not* run smoothly, on the contrary.

  The current version is beta-0.20.2.  I build the binaries for Mac OS X
myself each time Taco releases a beta (I compile on Tiger, but I expect
the binaries should work flawlessly on Leopard -- if you experience
problems, please report).

	Arthur

* Re: (Most) stable minimal for Mac Intel
@ 2008-01-21 21:01   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-21 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 21, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>  The current version is beta-0.20.2.  I build the binaries for Mac
> OS X
> myself each time Taco releases a beta (I compile on Tiger, but I
> expect
> the binaries should work flawlessly on Leopard -- if you experience
> problems, please report).
>
> 	Arthur

Not only can I confirm that Arthur's binaries work perfectly on
Leopard; Taco has also fixed the trunk version, so it's now possible
to check out the latest revision and compile it on Leopard, should you
be so inclined (it's simply a matter of calling the script build.sh,
so no black magic is involved).

Thomas