* new beta
@ 2002-12-01  0:15 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-01  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta. Most changes / updates / new features will go
unnoticed until documented (column sets, more float placements and control,
more clever and efficient text backgrounds -also in tables, and floats);
since i use these features in some styles, they finally will be documented
-) Of course there are also some fixes.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2002-12-01  9:18 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-12-01  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunday, December 1, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> Hi,

HH> I uploaded a new beta.

Can't seem to find it ...

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: new beta
@ 2002-12-01 11:38   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-12-01 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, December 1, 2002 Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

GB> Sunday, December 1, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH>> Hi,

HH>> I uploaded a new beta.

GB> Can't seem to find it ...

Ok I found it ... manually: the link from the "Beta downloads"
page still points to the nonbeta version.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: new beta
@ 2002-12-02 11:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-02 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:38 PM 12/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Ok I found it ... manually: the link from the "Beta downloads"
>page still points to the nonbeta version.

hm, persistent bug in a perl script -) will repair it

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re[2]: New Beta
@ 2001-08-26 20:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, cs, ntg-context

At 09:14 AM 8/24/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:

>However, this is new to Miktex 2, and traditionally I have always followed
>the following steps:
>
>1. Download and extract the new Context beta from Pragma.
>2. Set environment variables in texexec.rme and rename to texexec.ini.
>3. Rename cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.
>
>Actually, in 2 and 3, I usually just adjust my old texexec.ini and
>cont-sys.tex.

i think that this is not needed, unless there is a big change in texexec;
you only need to move the pl files to the right path [unless you have
context/perltk in your path]

the cont-sys.tex file is never part o fthe zip, so you can leave your local
copy untouched [actually, it should be undec /tex/context/usr so that you
can safely delete the base path] Of course it's always a good idea to look
into cont-sys.rme esp now, since some font defaults go there, but in a
while it will stabelize

>4. Run texexec --verbose to see if setting look good.

ok

>5. Run texexec --make to build the formats. Because the TeXFormatPath is
>set in texexec.ini, the formats are created AND moved into the correct
>place in my /localtexmf/miktex/fmt.

>6. Then I run
>
>texexec --make --alone metafun

no --alone needed there since fmtutil does not support mem's at all

>This builds metafun.mem. Unfortunately, there is no environment variable I
>have found yet in texexec.ini that will move this automatically to the
>correct spot in my miktex distribution, so I must manually move metafun.mem
>to \localtexmf\miktex\mem.

hm. there are three ways to set the path: automatically (kpsewhich),
manually (env var) or in the ini file and i now see that the last one is
not supported for mp. I've added it and let it default to TeXFormatPath so
you don't need to change / add something.

>7. Then I run
>
>texexec --make --alone --format=mptopdf

texexec --make --alone mptopdf

will do too, i'll also make that one alone by default

>This places mptopdf.efmt in /locatexmf/miktex/fmt. Then I take runperl.exe
>and rename it to mptopdf.exe. These all used to be in
>\miktex\context\perltk, but Christian has moved texexec.exe into the
>\miktex\miktex\bin directory, which is on the path created when Miktex is
>installed. This is a cool piece of software which allows me to type
>
>mptopdf filename.1
>
>where filename.1 is Metapost output. The result is the file filename-1.pdf.
>Nice, huh? The command also accepts wildcards, as in
>
>mptopdf filename.? or mptopdf filename.*
>
>Old habits die hard, so I'm not quite sure how I want to setup my new
>Miktex, but I am learning.

never change old habits when they are ok, so let me fix things that are
broken instead -)

@ 2001-08-24 16:14 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cs, ntg-context

Giuseppe,

This is a good question. There is a Miktex Options, upon which is a Tab for
TeX formats, where one can setup and build formats.

At 04:14 PM 8/24/01 +0200, you wrote:

>OB> I have found that this is not texexec but solely MiKTeX problem, the
problem
>OB> is that it seems that MiKTeX accept only restricted lenght of its
arguments and
>OB> cuts off the rest of argument for each of arguments separately, so if
your
>OB> TeXFormatPath contains f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt, then command line
argument
>OB> --undump=f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt/cont-en are cut after /miktex, so
TeX think
>OB> you wish to use miktex.efmt, not cont-en.efmt. Once you changed
--undump= to &,
>OB> command line are shorter and ain't cut off. I don't know whether it's
fixed in
>OB> MiKTeX 2.1.
>
>Is it necessary to use TeXFormatPath? I let MiKTeX find the corred
>path (or rather put the format files in the default path ...)

* Re[2]: New Beta
@ 2001-08-24 16:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-24 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Olya Briginets, ntg-context

At 04:14 PM 8/24/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>OB> I have found that this is not texexec but solely MiKTeX problem, the
>problem
>OB> is that it seems that MiKTeX accept only restricted lenght of its
>arguments and
>OB> cuts off the rest of argument for each of arguments separately, so if your
>OB> TeXFormatPath contains f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt, then command line
>argument
>OB> --undump=f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt/cont-en are cut after /miktex, so
>TeX think
>OB> you wish to use miktex.efmt, not cont-en.efmt. Once you changed
>--undump= to &,
>OB> command line are shorter and ain't cut off. I don't know whether it's
>fixed in
>OB> MiKTeX 2.1.
>
>Is it necessary to use TeXFormatPath? I let MiKTeX find the corred
>path (or rather put the format files in the default path ...)

it depends on how many texmf trees you use: here i have a couple -)

but, you can of course let miktex sort things out since on windows there is
less chance on write permission problems

@ 2001-08-24 14:14   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-24 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context