From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: How to read sources? (was:) Footnotes
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:02:42 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 21, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Joachim Kreimer-de Fries wrote:

> => Which sorces, wich directory and kind of files are meant, if one
> says "look at the source", where do I find them? (On my TeX-life
> distribution on Mac OSX 10.4x Tiger with actualized ConTeXt I didn't
> find the later mentioned "core-not.tex")

It is part of any ConTeXt installation. In a terminal window, type

kpsewhere core-not.tex

and you'll see that you have at least one instance of this file on
your system. "man kpsewhich" may be interesting to read if you want to
know how to find files in your TeX installation, possibly more than one.

>> Once you figure out how to scan them for information,
>
> => Could one comunicate "how to scan them for infomation" or must
> that stay a secret?

You could grep for terms that you're looking for:

grep setupfootnotes /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/*

> An OT-question besides: does anyone know an file manager program
> instead of the mac Finder, which allows me to find files in the
> hidden directories of Mac-OSX in a GUI way instead of unix terminal
> commands "cd", "ls" and "find"?

We had an interesting discussion about GUI and command line recently.
I rest my case: you shouldn't be looking for a GUI tool, but learn to
use the command line. By the way, there is n option to make the Mac
Finder display hidden directories, but to enable it, you'll have to
use the command line...

Thomas