* Learning layers: setlayer vs. setlayerframed
@ 2011-10-26  7:42 Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-10-26  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Based on a discussion with Hans at the ConTeXt meeting I'm starting to
migrate my book covers from CorelDraw to ConTeXt using layers.

After a bit of experimenting I managed to achieve my first layer, but
looking at the examples on the wiki page, I'm wondering: what's the
difference between \setlayer and \setlayerframed.

Is the latter a subset of the first and possibly equal to

\setlayer	[name]	% name of the layer
{\framed[...=...,...=...]{LAYER}}  % the actual contents of the layer

or something else?

And which one should I use, anyway? I need to put a bit of text and a
bit of graphics onto the pages, but nothing complicated, just "boxes".
But as I'm starting from zero, it would be nice to know what's the
smartest way of doing it (on the moment).

I'm running the newest or at least almost newest beta of ConTeXt and
can update if needed.

Thanks,

Mari

* Re: Learning layers: setlayer vs. setlayerframed
@ 2011-10-26  7:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-26  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.10.2011 um 09:42 schrieb Mari Voipio:

> Hello!
>
> Based on a discussion with Hans at the ConTeXt meeting I'm starting to
> migrate my book covers from CorelDraw to ConTeXt using layers.
>
> After a bit of experimenting I managed to achieve my first layer, but
> looking at the examples on the wiki page, I'm wondering: what's the
> difference between \setlayer and \setlayerframed.
>
> Is the latter a subset of the first and possibly equal to
>
> \setlayer	[name]	% name of the layer
> {\framed[...=...,...=...]{LAYER}}  % the actual contents of the layer
>
> or something else?

Yes, this is more or less the definition of \setlayerframed.

> And which one should I use, anyway? I need to put a bit of text and a
> bit of graphics onto the pages, but nothing complicated, just "boxes".
> But as I'm starting from zero, it would be nice to know what's the
> smartest way of doing it (on the moment).

For the graphics you can use \setlayer but \setlayerframed is better when
you a longer text which should be broken into lines.

Wolfgang