* Can I use OpenType fonts with ConTeXt on Windows right now
       [not found] <mailman.4826.1176378848.17432.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-04-12 17:32 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-12 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

Thanks a lot for people who replied to my "OpenType in Windows"
topic. I have learned a lot about perspectives, but...
can someone make it clear -- CAN I use OpenType fonts with
ConTeXt on Windows right NOW (without conversion to other formats),
and, if possible, what I have to do to achieve it?

Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: Can I use OpenType fonts with ConTeXt on Windows right now
       [not found]       ` <1897999158.20070413192920@gmail.com>
@ 2007-04-13 19:07         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-04-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I admit it. I admit everything. I'm the guily one for the whole mess
about XeTeX!

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes_in_XeTeX

Some time ago Hans has decided to ignore \enableregime in XeTeX. I
could have written more (and cite things), but I'm in a hurry right
now and I will probably be offline for the whole weekend.

The wiki pages need a massive adaption! Really.

On 4/13/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mojca,
>
> And what is more, you have said that other input regimes should work as well, but the following fragment doesn't work. (arbitrary symbols are substituted)

I said that it could have worked ... I didn't say that it actually works ;)

\enableregime should be adapted in my opinion. I had a patch already,
but I don't have time to look for it right now. The following should
work though:

Either
    \XeTeXinputencoding "bytes"
% uncomment the line which prevents loading of regimes in XeTeX
    \enableregime[cp1251]

or
    \XeTeXinputencoding "cp1251"

> \enableregime[cp1251]
> \definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Times New Roman]
> \setupbodyfont[myface, 12pt]
> \starttext
> Hello World!
> Привет!
> \stoptext
>
> (I really saved the file in that encoding - Windows Cyrillic, 1251)
>
> It is quite disappointing, because that encoding would cover my English-Russian-Ukrainian typesetting needs fully. UTF is amazing but not as convenient as cp1251.

There should really be no problem in adapting the \enableregime to
cover those regimes (it's really a simple patch). From the fact that
Hans added quite some new files and definitions during transition to
luaTeX ... I guess that he might still be willing to adapt that
behaviour in XeTeX as well.

Mojca

* Re: Can I use OpenType fonts with ConTeXt on Windows right now
@ 2007-04-13 13:56   ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
       [not found]     ` <6faad9f00704130735q60d1c0aci3a120f559770d90a@mail.gmail.com>
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mojca Miklavec; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Mojca,

Thanks a lot. In other words, XeTeX handles Unicode-coded fonts and the author creates UTF-coded documents.  Then those encodings are merged somewhere inside. Do I think right?

--

@ 2007-04-13 13:40 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-04-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-04-13 13:26 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schickele; +Cc: ntg-context

Hello Paul,

Thanks a lot for help with Xetex+Context on Windows.

And by the way, what is the "uc" encoding? It is not mentioned on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes

--
With best regards

@ 2007-04-12 20:05 Paul Schalck
From: Paul Schalck @ 2007-04-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

An easy way to test OpenType fonts with Context/Xetex from scratch under Windows (XP):

1. Get Texlive 2007

2. Install the Context collection with the Texlive Manager (Xetex is included)

3. Create a little test file:

\enableregime[utf]

\definetypeface[myface][ss][Xsans][Arial]%or any else font in your /windows/fonts folder; run "fc-list >namelist.txt" to get them all
\setupbodyfont[myface, 12pt]

\starttext
Hello World!
\stoptext