* Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-18 20:57 Steffen Wolfrum
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
How can this be done in ConTeXt?

Searching for answers I found the long and painful thread started by Thomas A. Schmitz almost one year ago.

Do we have an easier way available today?

Steffen Wolfrum

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-20 15:52 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2004-08-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:57:07 +0200, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
> How can this be done in ConTeXt?

Well, you can always use aleph; see typ-omg.tex and m-gamma.tex for
details. I can also send you a sample file if you like. But if you are not
adventurous;-) I suspect there is a solution that will work for pdfetex.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Ancient Greek
       [not found] ` <a06002008bd497194fc9d@[62\.134\.77\.121]>
@ 2004-08-21 22:29   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-08-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, August 18, 2004 Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,

> I am about to edit a book with quotes in ancient (polyphonic) greek.
> How can this be done in ConTeXt?

> Searching for answers I found the long and painful thread
> started by Thomas A. Schmitz almost one year ago.

> Do we have an easier way available today?

Download Claudio Beccari's fonts. (cbgreek)

Use the attached cbgreek.tex typescript file (Hans, maybe it's
the case to add it to the distribution?) and you should then be
able to type something like this:

==== greektest.tex =====

\usetypescriptfile[cbgreek]

\usetypescript [all] [cbgreek]

\def\enablegreek{\language[greek]\catcode`~=\other\catcode`|=\other}
\def\startgreek{\par\begingroup\setupbodyfont[cbgreek]\enablegreek}
\let\stopgreek\endgroup

\def\greek{\groupedcommand{\switchtobodyfont[cbgreek]\enablegreek}{}}

\mainlanguage[english]

\starttext

We can easily use plain English for normal text, and then switch
to greek when we want; as a first try we type the lower and
upper case 26 letters of the latin alphabet and see how they come
out in greek:
\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

As it can be observed, some uppercase letters have strange
outcomes; also, j gives \greek{j} and c gives the
end-of-word sigma \greek{c}; interestingly, s gives either the
normal sigma or the end-of-word one, depending on whether it's at
the of the word or not: \greek{satrapws}.

Of course we can use the various diacritical signs: accents
(\greek{`a, 'a, ~a}), breathings (\greek{<r, >w, a"}) and
subscribed iotas (\greek{a|, h|, w|}) (these last are pretty ugly in my
opinion); observe how they automatically get the correct position
with uppercase letters: (\greek{`A, 'A, ~A, <A, >A, A|}).

Can the thing be used for serious work?

\startgreek
>'Andra moi >'ennepe, Mo~usa, pol'utropon, >'os m'ala poll`a\hfill\break
pl'agqjh, >epe`i Tro'ihs <er`on ptol'iejron >'eperse;\hfill\break
poll~wn d" >anjr'wpwn >'iden >'astea ka`i n'oon >'egnw,\hfill\break
poll`a d" <'o g" >en p'ontw| p'ajen >'algea <`on kat`a jum'on,\hfill\break
>arn'umenos <'hn te yuq`hn ka`i n'oston <eta'irwn.
\stopgreek

\stoptext
=======

[-- Attachment #2: cbgreek.tex --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM, Size: 4169 bytes --]

\starttypescript [serif] [cb-greek] [name]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Normal]              [grmn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Oblique]             [grmo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Italic]              [grmi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-UprightItalic]       [grmu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Caps]                [grmc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Leipzig]             [grml]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Medium-Roman]               [grmr]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Normal]                [grbn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Oblique]               [grbo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Italic]                [grbi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-UprightItalic]         [grbu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Caps]                  [grbc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Leipzig]               [grbl]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-Bold-Roman]                 [grbr]

  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Normal]        [grxn]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Oblique]       [grxo]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Italic]        [grxi]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-UprightItalic] [grxu]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Caps]          [grxc]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Leipzig]       [grxl]
  \definefontsynonym [CBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Roman]         [grxr]

  \definefontsynonym [Serif]                 [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Normal]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]          [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Oblique]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]           [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]             [GBGreek-Regular-Medium-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]             [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Normal]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted]      [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Oblique]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]       [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]         [GBGreek-Regular-BoldExtended-Caps]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [cb-greek] [size]
% Please note that we use Bold Extended instead of Bold

  \definebodyfont
    [5pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0500,
     sl=grmo0500,
     it=grmi0500,
     sc=grmc0500,
     bf=grxn0500,
     bs=grxo0500,
     bi=grxi0500]

  \definebodyfont
    [6pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0600,
     sl=grmo0600,
     it=grmi0600,
     sc=grmc0600,
     bf=grxn0600,
     bs=grxo0600,
     bi=grxi0600]

  \definebodyfont
    [7pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0700,
     sl=grmo0700,
     it=grmi0700,
     sc=grmc0700,
     bf=grxn0700,
     bs=grxo0700,
     bi=grxi0700]

  \definebodyfont
    [8pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0800,
     sl=grmo0800,
     it=grmi0800,
     sc=grmc0800,
     bf=grxn0800,
     bs=grxo0800,
     bi=grxi0800]

  \definebodyfont
    [9pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn0900,
     sl=grmo0900,
     it=grmi0900,
     sc=grmc0900,
     bf=grxn0900,
     bs=grxo0900,
     bi=grxi0900]

  \definebodyfont
    [10pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1000,
     sl=grmo1000,
     it=grmi1000,
     sc=grmc1000,
     bf=grxn1000,
     bs=grxo1000,
     bi=grxi1000]

  \definebodyfont
    [10.95pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1095,
     sl=grmo1095,
     it=grmi1095,
     sc=grmc1095,
     bf=grxn1095,
     bs=grxo1095,
     bi=grxi1095]

  \definebodyfont
    [12pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1200,
     sl=grmo1200,
     it=grmi1200,
     sc=grmc1200,
     bf=grxn1200,
     bs=grxo1200,
     bi=grxi1200]

  \definebodyfont
    [14.40pt]
    [rm]
    [tf=grmn1440,
     sl=grmo1440,
     it=grmi1440,
     sc=grmc1440,
     bf=grxn1440,
     bs=grxo1440,
     bi=grxi1440]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [CBGreek]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [cbgreek]
    [default]
    []

  \definetypeface [cbgreek] [rm] [serif] [cb-greek] [cb-greek]

\stoptypescript

* Re: Ancient Greek / a few modules for SW with thanks to GB
@ 2004-08-23  0:08     ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-23  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Use the attached cbgreek.tex typescript file (Hans, maybe it's
>the case to add it to the distribution?) and you should then be
>able to type something like this:

interesting, it worked right away after adding

  \loadmapfile[cbgreek.map]

so you know greek, interesting; it's so long ago that i had greek at
school, i cannot see if this is old or new greek -)

Attached a type-* (i replaced 10.95 by 11pt) file and a s-* file (watch
the definition of start/stop),

   \texexec --mode=demo --pdf s-grk-00

should work. In cont-fil.tex add:

   \definefilesynonym [greek] [grk-00]

and then you can say:

   \usemodule[greek]

and go ahead.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: s-grk-00.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2267 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [      file=s-grk-00,
%D        version=2004.08.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Style File,
%D       subtitle=CB Greek Support,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D    suggestions=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Hans Hagen \& Ton Otten}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

\usetypescriptfile[type-cbg]

\usetypescript [all] [cbgreek]

\startsetups [cbgreek]

  \catcode`~=\other
  \catcode`|=\other

  \language[greek]
  \switchtobodyfont[cbgreek]

\stopsetups

\definestartstop
  [greek]
  [commands=\directsetup{cbgreek}]

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

% The following sample file was submitted to the \CONTEXT\
% mailing list by Giuseppe Bilotta, along with the right
% typescripts.

% already loaded: \usemodule[greek]

\mainlanguage[english]

\starttext

We can easily use plain English for normal text, and then switch
to greek when we want; as a first try we type the lower and
upper case 26 letters of the latin alphabet and see how they come
out in greek:

\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z \par
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

As it can be observed, some uppercase letters have strange
outcomes; also, j gives \greek{j} and c gives the
end-of-word sigma \greek{c}; interestingly, s gives either the
normal sigma or the end-of-word one, depending on whether it's at
the end of the word or not: \greek{satrapws}.

Of course we can use the various diacritical signs: accents
(\greek{`a, 'a, ~a}), breathings (\greek{<r, >w, a"}) and
subscribed iotas (\greek{a|, h|, w|}) (these last are pretty ugly in my
opinion); observe how they automatically get the correct position
with uppercase letters: (\greek{`A, 'A, ~A, <A, >A, A|}).

Can the thing be used for serious work?

\startgreek
>>'Andra moi >'ennepe, Mo~usa, pol'utropon, >'os m'ala poll`a\hfill\break
pl'agqjh, >epe`i Tro'ihs <er`on ptol'iejron >'eperse;\hfill\break
poll~wn d" >anjr'wpwn >'iden >'astea ka`i n'oon >'egnw,\hfill\break
poll`a d" <'o g" >en p'ontw| p'ajen >'algea <`on kat`a jum'on,\hfill\break
>>arn'umenos <'hn te yuq`hn ka`i n'oston <eta'irwn.
\stopgreek

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: type-cbg.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4418 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-cbg,
%D        version=2004.08.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=CB Greek,
%D         author=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=PRAGMA-ADE]
[...]

  \definebodyfont [11pt] [rm] % [10.95pt] [rm] / patched HH
    [tf=grmn1095,
     sl=grmo1095,
     it=grmi1095,
     sc=grmc1095,
     bf=grxn1095,
     bs=grxo1095,
     bi=grxi1095]

  \definebodyfont [12pt] [rm]
    [tf=grmn1200,
     sl=grmo1200,
     it=grmi1200,
     sc=grmc1200,
     bf=grxn1200,
     bs=grxo1200,
     bi=grxi1200]

  \definebodyfont [14.4pt] [rm]
    [tf=grmn1440,
     sl=grmo1440,
     it=grmi1440,
     sc=grmc1440,
     bf=grxn1440,
     bs=grxo1440,
     bi=grxi1440]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [map] [cbgreek] % added HH
  \loadmapfile [cbgreek.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [cbgreek] % lowercase, patched HH

  \definebodyfontenvironment [cbgreek] [default] []

  \definetypeface [cbgreek] [rm] [serif] [cb-greek] [cb-greek]

\stoptypescript

\endinput

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-23 15:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-23 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Karl Berry

Hi Steffen,

>Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:
>Download Claudio Beccari's fonts. (cbgreek)
>

>> <>
>> Well, I did download the whole archive (71MB).

This the archive is inded very big, and takes some probably unzips in some more MBytes, thereby taking more that 10% of the tex live cd!

Maybe it makese sense to determine a suitable subset (like the list that GB used to define the cbgreek typescript); also, i wonder if scaling really affects the quality. Are these real type 1's or converted bitmaps?

Since you're the user who wants greek most, can you make such a list?

  \showfont[fontname] can be of help ...

Maybe tex live can benefit from it.

Hans

PS. Karl: interesting to keep an eye on in the perspective of keeping tex live within reasonable size.

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-23 13:12 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:

> Download Claudio Beccari's fonts. (cbgreek)

Well, I did download the whole archive (71MB).

I used to install type1 fonts in ConTeXt with ONE afm file and ONE pfb file by executing sudo texfont --fontroot=... --sourcepath=... --vendor=ctan --collection=cbgreek --makepath --install

But what should I do with an archive of 944 pfb files ??? Jesus!

Steffen

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-22 15:07 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2004-08-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum said this at Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:10:28 +0200:

>As far as I understood I order to typeset text in xetex you have to use
>basically plain TeX-commands.

XeTeX is another TeX engine. So it responds to (plain) TeX commands.

LaTeX and ConTeXt are macro packages that are written in TeX. So your
LaTeX or ConTeXt commands are eventually just translated into TeX
commands as well. MacOSX LaTeX people already have xelatex going. It's
not terribly hard to get "texexec --tex=xetex" to work, either. (Hint: do
"xeinitex cont-en" and use the resulting cont-en.xfmt file.)
Colors, graphics, and transformations need \specials, and there are some
font quoting tricks to do, as well.

>So, when you say you're working on XeTeX drivers for ConTeXt does that
>mean that I can write normal context code but typeset with XeTeX instead
>of pdfeTeX?

Exactly.

>That would be great. Because my aim is to include polytonic greek quotes
>in my context document, and I setup an ideal context environment for my
>publications already and don't want to start with plain TeX again.

:)

>So if my understanding is right, when do you think XeTeX will be
>available for us ConTeXt users?

Ah, that would be why I asked about *your* requirements and timeframe.
This is an avocation for me--I have a PhD thesis to write soon, so I
don't want to commit to a timeframe for a side (albeit interesting)
project. I can help you get started, and I will concentrate on the
features you want most, but to do that, I need your requirements.

I think Hans will agree that real users drive things forward, and that's
what I see xecontext needing.
 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

* Re: Ancient Greek
@ 2004-08-22 11:10 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-08-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-21 18:04 ` Adam Lindsay