* Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-13  9:27 Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-13  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I've removed my old TeXLive installation from my Linux box, an decided
to start using ConTeXt only!

So, I installed the ConTeXt minimals (from contextgarden) and everything
seems to work just fine, but..

I want to try to install some new fonts and it is common practice to use
texfont for that. ConTeXt comes with its own texfont, but when I type
texfont at my linux-prompt, no texfont can be found? Do I need to
install additional tools to be able to build new fonts?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gerard Verhaag

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-13 10:22 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-12-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-12-13 um 10:27 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:

> I've removed my old TeXLive installation from my Linux box, an
> decided to start using ConTeXt only!

Congratulations!

> I want to try to install some new fonts and it is common practice to
> use texfont for that. ConTeXt comes with its own texfont, but when I
> type texfont at my linux-prompt, no texfont can be found? Do I need
> to install additional tools to be able to build new fonts?

You normally don't need texfont nor any other tools.

What version of ConTeXt (MarkII or MarkIV) and if MarkII, which engine
(pdfTeX or XeTeX) do you use? On which OS?
What kind of fonts do you want to use (OPenType, TrueType, PS Type1 or
other)?

Have a look at the wiki* and Wolfgang's simplefonts[2] module (to
avoid the need to write typescripts).

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts#How_to_use_fonts_in_ConTeXt
(Might be more confusing that helping, though.)
[2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#With_the__simplefonts_module

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-13 12:00 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-13 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:27, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:

> I want to try to install some new fonts and it is common practice to use
> texfont for that. ConTeXt comes with its own texfont, but when I type
> texfont at my linux-prompt, no texfont can be found? Do I need to install
> additional tools to be able to build new fonts?

TeXfont used to be a common practice until the arrival of MKIV. It's
not maintained, it is somewhat buggy, it has been removed from
standard tools (though you can still make it work easily), but I would
strongly recommend you to use ConTeXt MKIV (LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX)
if you need non-texie fonts. In that case all you need to do is to put
your fonts into texmf-fonts or texmf-local under
tex/opentype/company/fontname (the part "tex/opentype" is the most
important part - assuming that you are indeed dealing with OpenType
fonts).

Alternatively you may configure OSFONTDIR to point to the folders
where you have your system fonts and they will be picked up
automatically. If you use XeTeX your system font should be found by
default.

You only need the right typescripts, but no font conversion at all.

Mojca

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-13 14:21   ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-13 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:27, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>

>>I want to try to install some new fonts and it is common practice to use
>>texfont for that. ConTeXt comes with its own texfont, but when I type
>>texfont at my linux-prompt, no texfont can be found? Do I need to install
>>additional tools to be able to build new fonts?
>>

>TeXfont used to be a common practice until the arrival of MKIV. It's
>not maintained, it is somewhat buggy, it has been removed from
>standard tools (though you can still make it work easily), but I would
>strongly recommend you to use ConTeXt MKIV (LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX)
>if you need non-texie fonts. In that case all you need to do is to put
>your fonts into texmf-fonts or texmf-local under
>tex/opentype/company/fontname (the part "tex/opentype" is the most
>important part - assuming that you are indeed dealing with OpenType
>fonts).
>
>Alternatively you may configure OSFONTDIR to point to the folders
>where you have your system fonts and they will be picked up
>automatically. If you use XeTeX your system font should be found by
>default.
>
>You only need the right typescripts, but no font conversion at all.
>
>Mojca

I use the latest ConTeXt MkIV version on a Linux (kernel 2.4) based PC;
so I use LuaTeX!

I understand that I don't need to use texfont when using ttf-fonts, with
this version of ConTeXt.

But still need to write the proper typescripts, right?
Does the same apply to opentype fonts?

@ 2010-12-13 17:56     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-12-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-12-13 um 15:21 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
> I use the latest ConTeXt MkIV version on a Linux (kernel 2.4) based
> PC; so I use LuaTeX!

Good, that's most easy for fonts.

> I understand that I don't need to use texfont when using ttf-fonts,
> with this version of ConTeXt.

Right.

> But still need to write the proper typescripts, right?

Not if you use the simplefonts module (except you have a unregular
font family) or someone else already wrote them ;-)

> Does the same apply to opentype fonts?

Yes.

@ 2010-12-14 10:15       ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-14 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2010-12-13 um 15:21 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
>
>> I use the latest ConTeXt MkIV version on a Linux (kernel 2.4) based
>> PC; so I use LuaTeX!
>

> Good, that's most easy for fonts.
>
>> I understand that I don't need to use texfont when using ttf-fonts,
>> with this version of ConTeXt.
>

> Right.
>
>> But still need to write the proper typescripts, right?
>

> Not if you use the simplefonts module (except you have a unregular
> font family) or someone else already wrote them ;-)
>
>> Does the same apply to opentype fonts?
>

> Yes.
>

> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban

Thanks for the tips! But now a real example. I've downloaded a font file
called:

PlymouthRock 'SnowDusted'.ttf,

(Just a nice font to write Christmas cards; view it with Konqueror!)

and put it into texmf-fonts/tex/truetype/plymouthrock/snowdusted directory.

But what to do next is unclear to me!

Frankly speaking, fonts are a very delicate and tricky aspect of TeX,
which I've never understood, despite all the available documentation, sorry!

@ 2010-12-14 10:23         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-12-14 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.12.2010 um 11:15 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:

> Thanks for the tips! But now a real example. I've downloaded a font file called:
>
> PlymouthRock 'SnowDusted'.ttf,
>
> (Just a nice font to write Christmas cards; view it with Konqueror!)
>
> and put it into texmf-fonts/tex/truetype/plymouthrock/snowdusted directory.

Wrong directory, you need

   texmf-fonts/fonts/data

subdirectories below data are optional.

After that run „context --generate“ to inform context about the new file,
after that you can use it in your document with

\definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]
\starttext
\snowdust SnowDusted
\stoptext

To use the font for the whole document you can try:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[SnowDusted]
\starttext
SnowDusted
\stoptext

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 10:53           ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-14 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>Am 14.12.2010 um 11:15 schrieb Verhaag, G.C.H.M.:
>

>>Thanks for the tips! But now a real example. I've downloaded a font file called:
>>
>>PlymouthRock 'SnowDusted'.ttf,
>>
>>(Just a nice font to write Christmas cards; view it with Konqueror!)
>>
>>and put it into texmf-fonts/tex/truetype/plymouthrock/snowdusted directory.
>>

>Wrong directory, you need
>
>   texmf-fonts/fonts/data
>
>subdirectories below data are optional.
>
>After that run „context --generate“ to inform context about the new file,
>after that you can use it in your document with
>
>\definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]
>\starttext
>\snowdust SnowDusted
>\stoptext
>
>To use the font for the whole document you can try:
>
>\usemodule[simplefonts]
>\setmainfont[SnowDusted]
>\starttext
>SnowDusted
>\stoptext
>
>Regards,
>Wolfgang

I've put the ttf-file into the texmf-fonts/fonts/data directory, without
the subdirectories, right?

After that I ran: context --generate.

Wolfgang, the file parameter of the definefont command is unclear to me,
can you explain that to me?

Can I check for the new font with for example the mtxrun command?

Example is not yet working with the new font, sorry!

Regards,
Gerard

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 11:55             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-14 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've put the ttf-file into the texmf-fonts/fonts/data directory, without the
> subdirectories, right?

You either have to put the font into
    texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
or
    texmf-fonts/fonts/data/anywhere

(You can use texmf-fonts, texmf-local, I think that also ~/texmf would work.)

The first folder fonts/truetype is appropriate for TrueType fonts only
and is a more general location inside TDS (valid for other
distributions as well). Any font-related file may go to fonts/data.

You forgot the "fonts" subfolder in your earlier message.

Mojca

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 12:36               ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2010-12-14 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've put the ttf-file into the texmf-fonts/fonts/data directory, without the
>> subdirectories, right?
>
> You either have to put the font into
>     texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
> or
>     texmf-fonts/fonts/data/anywhere
>
> (You can use texmf-fonts, texmf-local, I think that also ~/texmf would work.)
>
> The first folder fonts/truetype is appropriate for TrueType fonts only
> and is a more general location inside TDS (valid for other
> distributions as well). Any font-related file may go to fonts/data.
>
> You forgot the "fonts" subfolder in your earlier message.
>
> Mojca

Try this sequece:

copy the .ttf in <contextroot>/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere

mktexlsr

mtxrun --script fonts --reload

context --generate

and finally check with

mtxrun --script font --list if it appears in the list

In my experience (i.e., if i recall correctly) mktexlsr is needed even
if you use only mkiv.

Bests

--
Marco

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 12:41                 ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2010-12-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Marco Pessotto <melmothx@gmail.com> writes:

> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've put the ttf-file into the texmf-fonts/fonts/data directory, without the
>>> subdirectories, right?
>>
>> You either have to put the font into
>>     texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
>> or
>>     texmf-fonts/fonts/data/anywhere
>>
>> (You can use texmf-fonts, texmf-local, I think that also ~/texmf would work.)
>>
>> The first folder fonts/truetype is appropriate for TrueType fonts only
>> and is a more general location inside TDS (valid for other
>> distributions as well). Any font-related file may go to fonts/data.
>>
>> You forgot the "fonts" subfolder in your earlier message.
>>
>> Mojca
>>

> Try this sequece:
>
> copy the .ttf in <contextroot>/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere

Sorry, I meant <contextroot>/tex/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/anywhere

--
Marco

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 13:06                 ` Verhaag, G.C.H.M.
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Verhaag, G.C.H.M. @ 2010-12-14 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Pessotto wrote:

>Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've put the ttf-file into the texmf-fonts/fonts/data directory, without the
>>>subdirectories, right?
>>>

>>You either have to put the font into
>>    texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
>>or
>>    texmf-fonts/fonts/data/anywhere
>>
>>(You can use texmf-fonts, texmf-local, I think that also ~/texmf would work.)
>>
>>The first folder fonts/truetype is appropriate for TrueType fonts only
>>and is a more general location inside TDS (valid for other
>>distributions as well). Any font-related file may go to fonts/data.
>>
>>You forgot the "fonts" subfolder in your earlier message.
>>
>>Mojca
>>

>Try this sequece:
>
>copy the .ttf in <contextroot>/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
>
>mktexlsr
>
>mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>
>context --generate
>
>and finally check with
>
>mtxrun --script font --list if it appears in the list
>
>In my experience (i.e., if i recall correctly) mktexlsr is needed even
>if you use only mkiv.
>
>Bests

Hi,

Well I've put my ttf into:  texmf-fonts/fonts/data, and entered the
following sequence of commands:

mktexlsr

mtxrun --scripts fonts --reload

context --generate

Then I checked using the following command:

mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*snow*

which yielded the following output:

plymouthrocksnowdusted         plymouthrocksnowdusted
PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
plymouthrocksnowdustednormal   plymouthrocksnowdusted
PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf

So this seams to be okay!

Next I used the proposed context file:

\definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]
\starttext
\snowdust SnowDusted
\stoptext

This however gives the following output (only part of it!):
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
language        : language en is active
systems         : begin file test at line 2
define fonts    > font with name snowdusted is not found
define fonts    > unknown font snowdusted, loading aborted
define fonts    > unable to define snowdusted as \**snowdust**
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
systems         : end file test at line 4
system          : cont-err loaded

What does the file-parameter do? I'm somehow lost now, sorry!

Regards,
Gerard

--
Afz.: Geert C.H.M. Verhaag
      St. Jorisstraat 29

      Tel.: +31-(0)774742493, E-mail: verhaaggchm@ziggo.nl

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 13:21                   ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2010-12-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

"Verhaag, G.C.H.M." <verhaaggchm@ziggo.nl> writes:

> Well I've put my ttf into:  texmf-fonts/fonts/data, and entered the
> following sequence of commands:
>
> mktexlsr
>
> mtxrun --scripts fonts --reload
>
> context --generate
>
> Then I checked using the following command:
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*snow*
>
> which yielded the following output:
>
> plymouthrocksnowdusted         plymouthrocksnowdusted
> PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
> plymouthrocksnowdustednormal   plymouthrocksnowdusted
> PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
>
> So this seams to be okay!
>
> Next I used the proposed context file:
>
> \definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]
> \starttext
> \snowdust SnowDusted
> \stoptext

try instead
\usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
\setmainfont[PlymouthRock 'SnowDusted']

I don't know if the '' in the family name will break the module.
I downloaded the file and checked with otfinfo -a file.ttf to get the
family name. You should do the same.

@ 2010-12-14 13:26                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-12-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/14/2010 02:06 PM, Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:
> Marco Pessotto wrote:
>
>> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You either have to put the font into
>>> texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
>>> or
>>> texmf-fonts/fonts/data/anywhere
>>>
>>> (You can use texmf-fonts, texmf-local, I think that also ~/texmf
>>> would work.)
>>>
>>> The first folder fonts/truetype is appropriate for TrueType fonts only
>>> and is a more general location inside TDS (valid for other
>>> distributions as well). Any font-related file may go to fonts/data.
>>>
>>> You forgot the "fonts" subfolder in your earlier message.
>>>
>>> Mojca
>>>

>> Try this sequece:
>>
>> copy the .ttf in <contextroot>/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/anywhere
>>
>> mktexlsr
>>
>> mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>>
>> context --generate
>>
>> and finally check with
>>
>> mtxrun --script font --list if it appears in the list
>>
>> In my experience (i.e., if i recall correctly) mktexlsr is needed even
>> if you use only mkiv.
>>
>> Bests
>>

> Hi,
>
> Well I've put my ttf into: texmf-fonts/fonts/data, and entered the
> following sequence of commands:
>
> mktexlsr
>
> mtxrun --scripts fonts --reload
>
> context --generate
>
> Then I checked using the following command:
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*snow*
>
> which yielded the following output:
>
> plymouthrocksnowdusted plymouthrocksnowdusted PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
> plymouthrocksnowdustednormal plymouthrocksnowdusted PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
>
> So this seams to be okay!
>
> Next I used the proposed context file:
>
> \definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]
> \starttext
> \snowdust SnowDusted
> \stoptext
>
> This however gives the following output (only part of it!):
> bodyfont : 12pt rm is loaded
> language : language en is active
> systems : begin file test at line 2
> define fonts > font with name snowdusted is not found
> define fonts > unknown font snowdusted, loading aborted
> define fonts > unable to define snowdusted as \**snowdust**
> pages > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
> systems : end file test at line 4
> system : cont-err loaded
>
> What does the file-parameter do? I'm somehow lost now, sorry!

The file: tries to find a font by file name. In your case,
it fails because the font is not called 'snowdusted.ttf',
it is 'plymouthsnowdusted.ttf' (the filename is lowercased
automatically). So,

   \definefont[snowdust][file:plymouthsnowdusted*default]

should work

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Minimal ConTeXt and texfont!
@ 2010-12-14 13:26                   ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-12-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 14, 2010, at 14:06 , Verhaag, G.C.H.M. wrote:

> mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*snow*
>
> which yielded the following output:
>
> plymouthrocksnowdusted         plymouthrocksnowdusted   PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
> plymouthrocksnowdustednormal   plymouthrocksnowdusted   PlymouthSnowDusted.ttf
>
> So this seams to be okay!
>
> Next I used the proposed context file:
>
> \definefont[snowdust][file:snowdusted*default]

Hi, this should work:
\definefont[snowdust][name:plymouthrocksnowdusted]

Florian