* Re: the "xdesc" module
       [not found] <19911277763.20010717221948@bigfoot.com>
@ 2001-07-18 10:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-18 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:19 PM 7/17/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm going quite deep in this xdesc module, as posted in the
>mailing list --maybe I'll change its name again to "objects",
>since it's all about objects and properties.

i will look into it later and see in what extend we can merge the ideas ; i
have both a simple database handler and sorted things available [use them
for adresses base and previous sorted biblio module] so there are some
frameworks already.

>But, to implement the object listing and sorting capabilities I
>need some extended TeXUtil support. The reason for this is that I
>plan to support listing of objects with multiple sorting keys. If
>it was going to be a single sort key, it could have been achieved
>hacking (overloading) the register feature, but that's too
>limiting.

there is something in texutil, but undocumented, had to to with abusing
sorted lists

>Since the "objects" code could be used as a base for lots of
>things, among which epigraphs and bibliographies, in a
>"consistent" and highly customizable way (see the template
>feature), I think that core support for it can be taken in
>consideration :-)

sure, but then more xml based; this is something i'm working on

>Now, what am I exactly thinking about? The .tui file would contain
>entries of this kind:
>
>o d {objname} {keyname} {keyname} ... {keyname}
>
>[o d = object define]
>
>which would inform TeXUtil of the order of the keys of the object
>{objname}. Then we would have entries in the form
>
>o e {objname} {tag} {keyval} {keyval} ... {keyval} {pagenumber}
>{realpage}

since we want predicatibility:

{keyval,keyval,keyval}

and not pagenumber/realpagenumber, but the full location stamp [including
chapter and so, so that we can select!

also, this may be combined with indexes -)

>[o e = object entry]
>
>produced by the \get<object>[objref] commands, (I still have to
>think of a "nice" way to allow sanitized keyvals) and finally
>entries in the form
>
>o s {objname} {keyname} {keyname} {keyname} ... {keyname}
>
>[o s = object sort]

there is already sort key support

>Can we discuss the implementation of this feature?

sure, but keep in mind that i have to work to finish, machines to install,
etc -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: the "xdesc" module
@ 2001-07-19 10:10   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-07-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, ntg-context

Wednesday, July 18, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

>>Since the "objects" code could be used as a base for lots of
>>things, among which epigraphs and bibliographies, in a
>>"consistent" and highly customizable way (see the template
>>feature), I think that core support for it can be taken in
>>consideration :-)

HH> sure, but then more xml based; this is something i'm working on

I thought that XML was just a "wrapper" around TeX code? That is,
TeX code is defined first, and then a XML wrapper to turn XML code
to TeX code?

>>Now, what am I exactly thinking about? The .tui file would contain
>>entries of this kind:
>>
>>o d {objname} {keyname} {keyname} ... {keyname}
>>
>>[o d = object define]
>>
>>which would inform TeXUtil of the order of the keys of the object
>>{objname}. Then we would have entries in the form
>>
>>o e {objname} {tag} {keyval} {keyval} ... {keyval} {pagenumber}
>>{realpage}

HH> since we want predicatibility:

HH> {keyval,keyval,keyval}

Ok.

HH> and not pagenumber/realpagenumber, but the full location stamp [including
HH> chapter and so, so that we can select!

Ok.

HH> also, this may be combined with indexes -)

I thought about using indexes, initially, but I could not find a
way to sort on different, possibly multiple, keys.

>>produced by the \get<object>[objref] commands, (I still have to
>>think of a "nice" way to allow sanitized keyvals) and finally
>>entries in the form
>>
>>o s {objname} {keyname} {keyname} {keyname} ... {keyname}
>>
>>[o s = object sort]

HH> there is already sort key support

Uh? I missed that! How do you do it?

>>Can we discuss the implementation of this feature?

HH> sure, but keep in mind that i have to work to finish, machines to install,
HH> etc -)

Oops :-) I guess I'm the only one here with nothing to do in my
hands ... (well, unless I gather enough will to start to study for
the doctorate ...) ;-)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: the "xdesc" module
@ 2001-07-19 11:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-19 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:10 PM 7/19/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Wednesday, July 18, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> >>Since the "objects" code could be used as a base for lots of
> >>things, among which epigraphs and bibliographies, in a
> >>"consistent" and highly customizable way (see the template
> >>feature), I think that core support for it can be taken in
> >>consideration :-)
>
>HH> sure, but then more xml based; this is something i'm working on
>
>I thought that XML was just a "wrapper" around TeX code? That is,
>TeX code is defined first, and then a XML wrapper to turn XML code
>to TeX code?

not per se, the figure base for instance is purely xml based, the figure
inclusion macros parse the xml database

HH> there is already sort key support

>Uh? I missed that! How do you do it?

how come that *you* miss something since you read the source, take a look
at the polish things [lang-sla], czech is following, and german needs to be
done too

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[3]: the "xdesc" module
@ 2001-07-20 10:33       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-07-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thursday, July 19, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH>> there is already sort key support

>>Uh? I missed that! How do you do it?

HH> how come that *you* miss something since you read the source, take a look
HH> at the polish things [lang-sla], czech is following, and german needs to be
HH> done too

Hey, it takes some time to browse through *all* the modules! And I
have to start again at each new version! :-)

Anyway, I'll get a look at the suggested file, thanks.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta