* showcase on mac?
@ 2008-09-28 11:40 Frans Goddijn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2008-09-28 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and I'm
working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures. It's
been a while since I used Context so I want to download some basic
manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.

On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals from the
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser, nothing
happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the showcase PDF
is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the file to go full
screen, I get error messages for the links "there was an error opening
this document/ the file cannot be found', execpt on the "quit" link ;-)

Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the mac as
well?

Groet,

Frans Goddijn
www.kostverlorenvaart.nl

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-09-28 12:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-28 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2008 um 13:40 schrieb Frans Goddijn:

> Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and I'm
> working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures. It's
> been a while since I used Context so I want to download some basic
> manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
>
> On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals from
> the
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
> page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser, nothing
> happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the showcase PDF
> is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the file to go full
> screen, I get error messages for the links "there was an error opening
> this document/ the file cannot be found', execpt on the "quit"
> link ;-)
>
> Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the mac as
> well?

Works here with Safari and Adobe Reader.

Wolfgang

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-09-28 12:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-28 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:
> Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and I'm
> working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures. It's
> been a while since I used Context so I want to download some basic
> manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
>
> On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals from the
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
> page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser, nothing
> happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the showcase PDF
> is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the file to go full
> screen, I get error messages for the links "there was an error opening
> this document/ the file cannot be found', execpt on the "quit" link ;-)
>
> Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the mac as
> well?

doesn't acrobat work? (the mac pdf browser is somewhat limited); best
use acrobat reader as plugin

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-09-28 12:18   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2008-09-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that manuals are available from
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page
as well so I won't worry too much about my Mac browsers' hesitations

Frans

@ 2008-09-28 14:05   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2008-09-28 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I click on the showcase link, my Firefox 3.0.3 _downloads_ de
PDF, doesn't show it in the browser. I then double click the
downloaded file, Adobe Reader 8.1.2 starts up and if I click a link,
it says "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be
found."

I deleted the Reader and downloaded/installed Reader 9.0.0 from the
Adobe website. This time no error message but also no action when I
click on any link but "quit"

Still, it must be something on my machine, since others don't have
this problem.

Best

Frans

On 28 sep 2008, at 14:13, Hans Hagen wrote:

Frans Goddijn wrote:
> Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and I'm
> working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures. It's
> been a while since I used Context so I want to download some basic
> manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
>
> On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals from
> the
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
> page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser, nothing
> happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the showcase PDF
> is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the file to go full
> screen, I get error messages for the links "there was an error opening
> this document/ the file cannot be found', execpt on the "quit"
> link ;-)
>
> Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the mac as
> well?

doesn't acrobat work? (the mac pdf browser is somewhat limited); best
use acrobat reader as plugin

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-09-28 15:21     ` Stanley Hudson
From: Stanley Hudson @ 2008-09-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same problem with Safari. I am not a fan of Adobe
installations and all the extra stuff that goes on with them, but
installing Reader did fix it.

Stan

.

@ 2008-10-03  7:06       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-10-03  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is strange. I use also the 8.1.2 version of Acrobat Reader on a
MAC with OS 10.4. I have precisely the same problems als Frans
mentioned. - I now realize that I encountered this already a longer
time ago, but due to the fact that I download manuals directly from
the tree, I forgot this.

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2008-10-03 15:43 ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2008-10-03 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Frans Goddijn <frans@goddijn.com> wrote:

> Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and I'm
> working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures. It's
> been a while since I used Context so I want to download some basic
> manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
>
> On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals from the
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
> page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser, nothing
> happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the showcase PDF
> is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the file to go full
> screen, I get error messages for the links "there was an error opening
> this document/ the file cannot be found', execpt on the "quit" link ;-)
>
> Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the mac as
> well?

works for me with 10.5.5 safari, although there are so many manuals that
I can't tell which is which.  Time to get a bigger office so I can fit a bigger
screen.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-10-04 13:58   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-10-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 28 September 2008 08:13:15 am Hans Hagen wrote:
> Frans Goddijn wrote:
> > Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and
> > I'm working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures.
> > It's been a while since I used Context so I want to download some
> > basic manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
> >
> > On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals
> > from the http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
> > page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser,
> > nothing happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the
> > showcase PDF is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the
> > file to go full screen, I get error messages for the links "there
> > was an error opening this document/ the file cannot be found',
> > execpt on the "quit" link ;-)
> >
> > Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the
> > mac as well?
>
> doesn't acrobat work? (the mac pdf browser is somewhat limited);
> best use acrobat reader as plugin

I use Acrobat Reader 8 on my Slackware Linux 12.0 system with Firefox
as the browser.  The main page comes up but when I click on e.g.,
Manuals or Examples I get a File Not Found error.

I experimented with Konqueror and Kpdf as the viewer.  That seems to
work, but slowly because of the download time.

Il try to switch Firefox to Kpdf to see if that will work.

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-10-07  7:32     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-10-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2008 08:13:15 am Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Frans Goddijn wrote:
>>> Willi Egger helped me get a minimal install working on my mac and
>>> I'm working on a collection of columns illustrated with pictures.
>>> It's been a while since I used Context so I want to download some
>>> basic manuals to refresh my memory and learn new things.
>>>
>>> On my Windows machine I can view/navigate and download manuals
>>> from the http://www.pragma-ade.nl/showcase.pdf
>>> page, but on my mac this doesn't work. In the Safari browser,
>>> nothing happens if I click on the "manuals" link. In Firefox, the
>>> showcase PDF is downloaded and I can open it. After allowing the
>>> file to go full screen, I get error messages for the links "there
>>> was an error opening this document/ the file cannot be found',
>>> execpt on the "quit" link ;-)
>>>
>>> Is there a simple thing I should change to make it work on the
>>> mac as well?
>> doesn't acrobat work? (the mac pdf browser is somewhat limited);
>> best use acrobat reader as plugin

On my linux with AR8.1 as plugin to firefox using showcase.pdf works
fine, but only via the browser window, and I installed the AR rpm
from Adobe directly because the one in my distro (Mandriva 2008.1)
was missing key plugins, "weblink" in particular.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: showcase on mac?
@ 2008-10-07 16:22       ` Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-10-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my Mac I use the PDF Browser Plugin by Manfred Schubert
www.schubert-it.com
That makes everything work right on the web for Mac. And the browser has
personal as well as commercial licenses.

On Ubuntu Linux things work fine on the web. I still run (and shall
continue to run) Windows 98 for me and Windows XP for the "family"
computer. Thus, I don't do much TeXing on Windows.

OTOH, the Debian-ish nature of Ubuntu allows one to DL the
contect-nonfree pkg, but everything is gzipped. So either use evince or
gunzip everything. Evince doesn't allow links at all, giving an "unknown
mime type." If you gunzip and use Adobe Reader, some links create "file
not found" errors but there is slightly more functionality.

I always thought it was a file hierarchy thing.

BTW, Free/PC-BSD is an environment where you can easily patch ports to
let you install kile and the like without depending directly on a
packaged TeX distro, allowing easy use of the tl-installer and the
minimals as well. If KDE 4 is more stable in the next release cycle or
if I remain a glutton for Gnome punishment, I may go that direction
again, lack of Flash (except under Wine) or not.

Charles