* fonts
@ 2016-10-06  7:49 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-10-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the last context meeting it was decided that he groups will support
the upcoming stages of the tex gyre font project. The work is done by
the polish font gurus and so far they have been funded by the user
groups. However, this time not all groups join in, while still
substantial funding is needed for this stage that will run for several
years.

For a while there is already an entry for the project on:

https://www.tug.org/donate/dev.html

If you use the free math fonts you might consider donating there. After
all, we depend on these fonts and there is still work to do: adding
symbols to text fonts, a bold (heavy) companion for titling, a sans for
titling, a monospaced math font for editing and manuals, completion,
etc. The font folks have always delivered so donations will be well
spent. ConTeXt has always been the first to use these fonts and I sort
of assume that we will get these additions done as well, as it will make
our live so much easier.

Hans

* fonts
@ 2016-02-15 15:56 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

finaly a chinese font with hand drawn matching latin shapes

http://www.roman946.de/laowaisung.php

Hans

* Re: fonts
@ 2012-05-09 20:22   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.05.2012 um 13:34 schrieb Otared Kavian:

> Hi Hans,
>
> If I understand it correctly, with the \setupbodyfontenvironment one can define various sizes and then apply them to various styles such as \it, \bf, etc. This is indeed great!

This is the same method which is used to create \bfa, \bfb etc. but instead of a single letter Hans used in his example longer names.

Wolfgang

* Re: fonts
@ 2012-05-09 14:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9-5-2012 13:34, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> If I understand it correctly, with the \setupbodyfontenvironment one can define various sizes and then apply them to various styles such as \it, \bf, etc. This is indeed great!
> But in your example the math fonts disappear: is this intended?

Actually this is already an old feature. Math shows up okay here. What
version do you run?

> Best regards: OK
>
> On 8 mai 2012, at 19:07, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A nice candidate for wikification:
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[dejavu]
>>
>> \setupbodyfontenvironment
>>   [default]
>>   [smallsized=1.25,
>>    mediumsized=1.5,
>>    largesized=2.0]
>>
>> \definefontsize[smallsized]
>> \definefontsize[mediumsized]
>> \definefontsize[largesized]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \setuphead[chapter]   [style=\bflargesized]
>> \setuphead[section]   [style=\bfmediumsized]
>> \setuphead[subsection][style=\bfsmallsized]
>>
>> \chapter   {Whatever $x-1$}
>> \section   {Whatever $x-1$}
>> \subsection{Whatever $x-1$}
>>
>> \input ward
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>> --

>>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>>                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2012-05-09 11:34 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2012-05-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-05-08 17:07 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-08 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

A nice candidate for wikification:

\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

\setupbodyfontenvironment
   [default]
   [smallsized=1.25,
    mediumsized=1.5,
    largesized=2.0]

\definefontsize[smallsized]
\definefontsize[mediumsized]
\definefontsize[largesized]

\starttext

\setuphead[chapter]   [style=\bflargesized]
\setuphead[section]   [style=\bfmediumsized]
\setuphead[subsection][style=\bfsmallsized]

\chapter   {Whatever $x-1$}
\section   {Whatever $x-1$}
\subsection{Whatever $x-1$}

\input ward

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 15:56                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-26 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-8-2011 17:18, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I guess from Wolfgang's comment that newer vrsions of ConTeXt can do without the \usetypescript?

no, it depends, as it's part of a fallback sequence:

(1) manually defined typeface -> \usetypescript for relevant cases
(2) predefined typeface -> automatically chosen
(3) when no typescript -> loading type-<typeface>

etc

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 15:18                       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 aug. 2011, at 17:09, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 26.08.2011 um 16:57 schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>
>> On 26 aug. 2011, at 16:34, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>>> Sure. As I wrote above, there should not *be* any typescript file, and the actual fonts are named *antt*, not '*antykwa*'
>>
>> changing to \setupbodyfont[antt] now produces:
>> files           > readfile > asked name: 'antt', not found
>
> \setupbodyfont expects the name of a typeface.
>
> I saw from your terminal output that your context version is from july and a while ago you needed \usetypescript to use “Antykwa Torunska”.
>
> \usetypescript[antykwa-torunska]
> \setupbodyfont[antykwa]

O, how wonderful is the internet-community. Indeed, that \usetypescript does the trick. Thanks, one problem less here!
I guess from Wolfgang's comment that newer vrsions of ConTeXt can do without the \usetypescript?

As for the cambria, I now see its name is has been typeset in boldface in the font book. And that solves that problem also, because the font is not here.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 15:14                     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-08-26 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,
On 08/26/2011 04:57 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> files>  readfile>  asked name: 'loc', not found
> files>  readfile>  asked name: 'antykwa', not found

solved by Wolfgang :)

> But why, isn't it in the distribution?

Because Microsoft is not in the habit of giving stuff away for free. As
with all commercial fonts, there is a simple rule: do not use the
typescript if you do not own the font.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 15:09                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2011 um 16:57 schrieb Hans van der Meer:

> On 26 aug. 2011, at 16:34, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Sure. As I wrote above, there should not *be* any typescript file, and the actual fonts are named *antt*, not '*antykwa*'
>
> changing to \setupbodyfont[antt] now produces:
> files           > readfile > asked name: 'antt', not found

\setupbodyfont expects the name of a typeface.

I saw from your terminal output that your context version is from july and a while ago you needed \usetypescript to use “Antykwa Torunska”.

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska]
\setupbodyfont[antykwa]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 14:57                   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 aug. 2011, at 16:34, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On 08/26/2011 03:43 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>> Did this, removed linked, let mtxrun reload the database, then running context. Same result:
>> files>  readfile>  asked name: 'antykwa', not found
>
> Which is already wrong, afaik. It should *not* be looking for a typescript file, because the typescript 'antykwa' has already been set
> up in type-otf.mkiv (it *did* load that file, I trust?).

The file type-otf.mkiv is in the base directory and contains typescriptcollection antykwa.

>> You said: (all needed files are in the standalone distribution). But is it possible that somehow the relevant files did not reach my computer?
>> Searching for antykwa gives only these files in the context setup downloaded by me:
>> 113 context: find . -name "*antykwa*"
>> ./tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/antykwa-math.lfg
>> ./tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/antykwapoltawskiego.lfg
>> That's all.
>
> Sure. As I wrote above, there should not *be* any typescript file, and the actual fonts are named *antt*, not '*antykwa*'

changing to \setupbodyfont[antt] now produces:
files           > readfile > asked name: 'antt', not found

I did context --make en: no type-otf.mkiv touched.
Then after that: context test and I find the lines:
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv)
files           > readfile > asked name: 'loc', not found
files           > readfile > asked name: 'antykwa', not found
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (third stage)

Thus I take it for granted that typeset.mkiv has been found by ConTeXt.

>> And finally, the unexplained cambria crash?
>
> Not looked at that yet, and it is usually unwise to attempt to fix two problems at the same time, but my first guess in that case is simply that you have not installed the font. I get:
>
> $ mtxrun --script fonts --list --name cambria\* --all

Hm… Running this one gives an empty return. That sounds bad I guess.
But why, isn't it in the distribution? I guessed ConTeXt will find it automatically in the system in case it is in the /usr/local/texlive location.
But I agree, best solve the problems one by one.
I append a compressed log, having ran make, context, and for completeness sake again the font reload.

[-- Attachment #2: log.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 10721 bytes --]

Hans van der Meer

> cambria             cambria       cambria.ttc   index:  1
> cambriamath         cambriamath   cambria.ttc   index:  0
> cambriamathnormal   cambriamath   cambria.ttc   index:  0
> cambrianormal       cambria       cambria.ttc   index:  1
>
> $ luatools cambria.ttc
> /home/taco/texmf/fonts/truetype/cambria.ttc
>
>> For the sake of completeness
>
> Have you posted a full log yet? If not, perhaps that is wise (otherwise
> I missed it).

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 14:34                 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-08-26 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-08-26 14:33                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-08-26 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2011 15:43, schrieb Hans van der Meer:

> On 26 aug. 2011, at 15:14, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> On Aug 26, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>>> Still a mystery to me. In your logfile I see the line
>>> used files      >   16: filename=AntykwaTorunska-Regular | filetype=otf | format=otf | foundname=R:/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/antt/AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf | usedmethod=database
>>> I therefore concluse in your system ConTeXt has found the reference for \setupbodyfont[antykwa].
>>
>> That typescript is defined in type-otf.mkiv, at least I my context standalone (installed just minutes ago).
>>

>>> The latter shows that antykwa is not found in the context run but mtxrun did! I am completely baffled.
>>>

>> Not booth are looking for the same thing: context looks for a typescript definition, mtxrun for a font. I suspect your problem is not that the font is not found, but that you are inadvertedly mixing the standalone context macros in with the texlive macros somehow.
>>
>> Try removing the symlink in texmf-fonts, rerun mtxrun --script fonts --reload, and see what happens then (all needed files are in the standalone distribution).
>>

> Did this, removed linked, let mtxrun reload the database, then running context. Same result:
> files           > readfile > asked name: 'antykwa', not found

Just to be sure: delete the complete luatex cache files per hand and retry.

> You said: (all needed files are in the standalone distribution). But is it possible that somehow the relevant files did not reach my computer?
> Searching for antykwa gives only these files in the context setup downloaded by me:
> 113 context: find . -name "*antykwa*"
> ./tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/antykwa-math.lfg
> ./tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/antykwapoltawskiego.lfg
> That's all.

Same here, but 'find' is case sensitive. If you search for "*Antykwa*"
you will also find the related otf files.

> And finally, the unexplained cambria crash?

As I wrote, you get this cryptic error message if no default math font
is found.

> For the sake of completeness here the script I call inside the directory context where the distribution must be placed. Assuming that the installation procedure leaves present materials like texmf-local etc. intact:
> curl -o first-setup.sh http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
> chmod a+x ./first-setup.sh
> mkdir tex
> sh ./first-setup.sh >first-setup.log
> exit
>

> Hans van der Meer

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 13:43               ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-08-26 13:14             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-08-26 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-08-26 12:55           ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Still a mystery to me. In your logfile I see the line
used files      >   16: filename=AntykwaTorunska-Regular | filetype=otf | format=otf | foundname=R:/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/antt/AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf | usedmethod=database
I therefore concluse in your system ConTeXt has found the reference for \setupbodyfont[antykwa].

In my setup I have linked /Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-fonts to /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts. The are all sorts of otf files including those in public/antt.
On building with mtxrun --script fonts --reload I see in the log:
fonts           | names | scanning /Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-fonts for otf files
fonts           | names | 47688 entries found, 528 otf files checked, 528 okay
My conclusion: these file should be in the database now.
Corroborated by mtxrun --script fonts --list --name antykwa ->
antykwatorunskaregular   antykwatorunskaregular   AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf

Still context run has in the log:
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv)
files           > readfile > asked name: 'loc', not found
files           > readfile > asked name: 'antykwa', not found
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (third stage)
{/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}{/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > virtual math > unable to resolve name mapsfromchar
fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded

The latter shows that antykwa is not found in the context run but mtxrun did! I am completely baffled.

My environment variables regarding TeX are:
export TEXLIVE=/usr/local/texlive/2011
export TEXMFHOME=$HOME/TeX/texmf
export CONTEXTROOT=$HOME/TeX/context/tex

On 26 aug. 2011, at 14:12, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Am 26.08.2011 13:58, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>> What is the attached file? Does not open as a text file here.
>
> 7zip archive. Attached the log file as zip now..
>

>> Hans van der Meer
>>
>> On 26 aug. 2011, at 13:36, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> Mh, no luck then. I tested your example without problems (log file
>>> attached, maybe you see a difference).
>>> Do you set any TeX related environmental variables by hand?
>>>

>>> <test.7z>___________________________________________________________________________________

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 12:12         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-08-26 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2011 13:58, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
> What is the attached file? Does not open as a text file here.

7zip archive. Attached the log file as zip now..

> Hans van der Meer
>
> On 26 aug. 2011, at 13:36, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Mh, no luck then. I tested your example without problems (log file
>> attached, maybe you see a difference).
>> Do you set any TeX related environmental variables by hand?
>>

>> <test.7z>___________________________________________________________________________________

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 2377 bytes --]

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 11:58       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the attached file? Does not open as a text file here.
Hans van der Meer

On 26 aug. 2011, at 13:36, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Mh, no luck then. I tested your example without problems (log file
> attached, maybe you see a difference).
> Do you set any TeX related environmental variables by hand?
>

> <test.7z>___________________________________________________________________________________

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 11:36     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-08-26 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2011 13:01, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
> This is the requested check:
>
> 101 ~: mtxrun --locate lmmath-regular.otf
> /Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf
>
> The font seems to be there.
> Hans van der Meer
>
> On 26 aug. 2011, at 12:54, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Am 26.08.2011 12:36, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>>> I guess I am missing something in my font handling here, but do not know what.
>>>
>>> Hans van der Meer
>>>
>>> This is the minimal example:
>>> \def\fontname{antykwa}
>>> \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
>>> \starttext
>>> Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
>>> \showbodyfont
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> This is my setup with respect to fonts:
>>> context/tex/texmf-fonts (link to /usr/local/textlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts
>>>
>>> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>>> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --list --name antykwa
>>> giving as output:
>>> antykwatorunskaregular   antykwatorunskaregular   AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf
>>>
>>> Below is the output of the minimal example. Mark that \showbodyfont names modern, not antykwa. I get the same result with other fonts mentioned in "fonts in context" page 69-71 as preloaded typescripts!
>>>
>>> For example calling typeface cambria it even gives an error:
>>> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
>>>
>> I don't know if this is related, but I got a similar error message some
>> days ago. The problem here was the missing font 'lmmath-regular.otf'.
>> Can you check that on your installation?
>>
>> mtxrun --locate lmmath-regular.otf
>> R:/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf
>>
>>> system          > tex > error on line 6 in file test.tex: Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set ...
>>>
>>> 1     \def\fontname{cambria}
>>> 2     \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
>>> 3     \starttext
>>> 4     Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
>>> 5     \showbodyfont
>>> 6 >>  \stoptext
>>> 7
>>>
>>> \doshowbodyfont ...mr \languageparameter \c!text $
>>>                                                  \quad }\vrule }\cr \noalig...
>>> <to be read again>
>>>                   \stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: test.7z --]

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 11:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-8-2011 12:36, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I guess I am missing something in my font handling here, but do not know what.
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> This is the minimal example:
> \def\fontname{antykwa}
> \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
> \starttext
> Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
> \showbodyfont
> \stoptext

whatever you do ... \fontname is a primitive so should not be overloaded

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 11:01   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the requested check:

101 ~: mtxrun --locate lmmath-regular.otf
/Users/hans/TeX/context/tex/texmf-fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf

The font seems to be there.
Hans van der Meer

On 26 aug. 2011, at 12:54, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Am 26.08.2011 12:36, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>> I guess I am missing something in my font handling here, but do not know what.
>>
>> Hans van der Meer
>>
>> This is the minimal example:
>> \def\fontname{antykwa}
>> \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
>> \starttext
>> Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
>> \showbodyfont
>> \stoptext
>>
>> This is my setup with respect to fonts:
>> context/tex/texmf-fonts (link to /usr/local/textlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts
>>
>> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --list --name antykwa
>> giving as output:
>> antykwatorunskaregular   antykwatorunskaregular   AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf
>>
>> Below is the output of the minimal example. Mark that \showbodyfont names modern, not antykwa. I get the same result with other fonts mentioned in "fonts in context" page 69-71 as preloaded typescripts!
>>
>> For example calling typeface cambria it even gives an error:
>> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
>>
> I don't know if this is related, but I got a similar error message some
> days ago. The problem here was the missing font 'lmmath-regular.otf'.
> Can you check that on your installation?
>
> mtxrun --locate lmmath-regular.otf
> R:/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf
>
>> system          > tex > error on line 6 in file test.tex: Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set ...
>>
>> 1     \def\fontname{cambria}
>> 2     \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
>> 3     \starttext
>> 4     Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
>> 5     \showbodyfont
>> 6 >>  \stoptext
>> 7
>>
>> \doshowbodyfont ...mr \languageparameter \c!text $
>>                                                  \quad }\vrule }\cr \noalig...
>> <to be read again>
>>                   \stoptext

* Re: fonts
@ 2011-08-26 10:54 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2011-08-26 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2011 12:36, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
> I guess I am missing something in my font handling here, but do not know what.
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> This is the minimal example:
> \def\fontname{antykwa}
> \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
> \starttext
> Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
> \showbodyfont
> \stoptext
>
> This is my setup with respect to fonts:
> context/tex/texmf-fonts (link to /usr/local/textlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts
>
> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --reload
> Executed: mtxrun --script fonts --list --name antykwa
> giving as output:
> antykwatorunskaregular   antykwatorunskaregular   AntykwaTorunska-Regular.otf
>
> Below is the output of the minimal example. Mark that \showbodyfont names modern, not antykwa. I get the same result with other fonts mentioned in "fonts in context" page 69-71 as preloaded typescripts!
>
> For example calling typeface cambria it even gives an error:
> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.

I don't know if this is related, but I got a similar error message some
days ago. The problem here was the missing font 'lmmath-regular.otf'.
Can you check that on your installation?

mtxrun --locate lmmath-regular.otf
R:/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf

> system          > tex > error on line 6 in file test.tex: Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set ...
>
> 1     \def\fontname{cambria}
> 2     \setupbodyfont[\fontname]
> 3     \starttext
> 4     Requested font = \fontname.\crlf
> 5     \showbodyfont
> 6 >>  \stoptext
> 7
>
> \doshowbodyfont ...mr \languageparameter \c!text $
>                                                   \quad }\vrule }\cr \noalig...
> <to be read again>
>                    \stoptext

* fonts
@ 2011-08-26 10:36 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-08-26 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 22:18                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-22 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-9-2010 11:38, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2010-09-22 um 18:34 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>>>
>>> That works for OTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/OTF and TTF in
>>> /usr/share/fonts/TTF but apparently not for Type1 fonts in
>>> /usr/share/fonts/Type1. The line below confuses the system:
>>>
>>> \font\barr={file:AGaramond-Regular.pfb} at 30bp
>>
>> Right now, luaotfload does not support Type1 fonts, you have to load them
>> through the old TFM mechanism (the same way as in PDFTeX, nothing
>> changed in this area). But since this is the second request to support
>> Type1 fonts, I might try to steal some more code from ConTeXt that deal
>> with Type1 fonts, but I'm bit busy now with my fonts.
>

> John:
> For ConTeXt you need AFM files to use Type1; I guess that will become
> the same for luaotfload.

the main reason why afm loading is not in the generic code is that it's
most likely to be incompatible; context always used the afm approach
(via texfont) while latex has relied on the prebuilt tfm files, and they
use different metrics geared at latex (things are different for the gyre
fonts but one would use the otf files there). There is not that much to
gain as most type one fonts are rather incomplete.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 21:38                   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-09-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-09-22 um 18:34 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

>> That works for OTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/OTF  and TTF in
>> /usr/share/fonts/TTF but apparently not for Type1 fonts in
>> /usr/share/fonts/Type1. The line below confuses the system:
>>
>> \font\barr={file:AGaramond-Regular.pfb} at 30bp
>
> Right now, luaotfload does not support Type1 fonts, you have to load
> them
> through the old TFM mechanism (the same way as in PDFTeX, nothing
> changed in this area). But since this is the second request to support
> Type1 fonts, I might try to steal some more code from ConTeXt that
> deal
> with Type1 fonts, but I'm bit busy now with my fonts.

John:
For ConTeXt you need AFM files to use Type1; I guess that will become
the same for luaotfload.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 16:34                 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-22 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:22:36PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 09:27:52 Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:25:26 John Culleton wrote:
> > > You mentioned building a database, and yes that took some time.
> > > Is there a way to have it scan fonts in /usr/share/fonts as well?
> >
> > export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts
> >
> > Alan
> We are getting close! Thanks for your help.
>
> That works for OTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/OTF  and TTF in
> /usr/share/fonts/TTF but apparently not for Type1 fonts in
> /usr/share/fonts/Type1. The line below confuses the system:
>
> \font\barr={file:AGaramond-Regular.pfb} at 30bp

Right now, luaotfload does not support Type1 fonts, you have to load them
through the old TFM mechanism (the same way as in PDFTeX, nothing
changed in this area). But since this is the second request to support
Type1 fonts, I might try to steal some more code from ConTeXt that deal
with Type1 fonts, but I'm bit busy now with my fonts.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 16:22               ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2010-09-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan BRASLAU; +Cc: ntg-context

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 09:27:52 Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:25:26 John Culleton wrote:
> > You mentioned building a database, and yes that took some time.
> > Is there a way to have it scan fonts in /usr/share/fonts as well?
>
> export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts
>
> Alan
We are getting close! Thanks for your help.

That works for OTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/OTF  and TTF in
/usr/share/fonts/TTF but apparently not for Type1 fonts in
/usr/share/fonts/Type1. The line below confuses the system:

\font\barr={file:AGaramond-Regular.pfb} at 30bp

Here is the error message:
argument #2 to 'find_file' (invalid option 'pfb').

I tried it with afm and no suffix at all but they didn't work either.

What is the magic formula for Type1?

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 16:07             ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:25:26AM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2010 18:37:48 Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 06:17:41PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> > > Well I have been typesetting books in plain tex and pdftex for a
> > > decade or more. Supposedly luatex is a superset of pdftex that
> > > makes finding fonts easier and eliminates the generation of tmf
> > > files. But I seem to be sinking into a deeper swamp.
> >
> > If you all what you want is plain TeX, then why you are looking for
> > ConTeXt solutions, I mean you don't need ConTeXt nor ConTeXt file
> > locating system (which does not use kpathsea) to use plain format.
> >
> > The issue you have is because your ConTeXt MkIV is not properly
> > setup yet (true for fresh TeXLive 2010 installs). You need to run
> > `luatools -generate` to generate the file database (used to
> > locating files, similar to running texhash and likes, but TeXLive
> > scripts does not run it by default). Then you need to set your
> > system font paths, by setting OSFONTDIR, and ConTeXt will then be
> > able find system fonts.
> >
> > However, you don't need any of then to use system fonts with plain,
> > there are already packages for this (based on dome of ConTeXt code,
> > but adapted to be self contained and ConTeXt independent).
> >
> > A small test file would be:
> >
> > \input luaotfload.sty % works for plain despite the .sty
> > \font\pagella={name:TeX Gyre Pagella:script=latn;+onum} at 10pt
> > \font\termes={file:texgyretermes-regular.otf:script=latn} at 10pt
> > \pagella some text 12345\par
> > \termes other text
> > \bye
> >
> > This should work out of box on texlive (at first run it will take
> > some time building font database). If it does not work, it is a
> > bug.
> >
> > For LaTeX, just check fontspec documentation, and there is a
> > lualatex-dev list on CTAN, and luatex list for general, non-ConTeXt
> > questions.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Khaled
> Now that works! I'll try it on my XP partition also to see how well I
> fare.  And I need to fiddle with some non-Gyre fonts as well.
>
> You mentioned building a database, and yes that took some time. Is
> there a way to have it scan fonts in /usr/share/fonts as well?

By default on Linux it will attempt to read /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and
detect system font directories, so /usr/share/fonts (and ~/.fonts)
should work, you can override this by explicitly setting OSFONTDIR, in
this case it will only search the specified directories (it is a
regular kpathsea variable).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-22 13:27             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-09-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: John Culleton

@ 2010-09-22 13:25           ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2010-09-22 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-09-22  7:29         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-09-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Well I have been typesetting books in plain tex and pdftex for a
> decade or more. Supposedly luatex is a superset of pdftex that makes
> finding fonts easier and eliminates the generation of tmf files. But I
> seem to be sinking into a deeper swamp.
>
> Here is the base problem. All other publishing related programs on my
> system will
>  a) look in /usr/share/fonts and
> b) list the fonts fond there in a window when selecting fonts.
>
> Laying aside b) for the moment it would be nice if some form of TeX
> (preferably not LaTeX) would join the party and find Type1, TTF and OTF
> fonts in the system standard location. Gimp does this, Scribus does
> this, Inkscape does this, Open Office Writer does this and so on.
> Luatex supposedly does this.  But getting Luatex to work on a new
> standard distro , texlive 2010, seems to be a game of whackamole.
> I tried comp.text.tex but when no one there seemed to have the right
> answers and many of the names mentioned in the documentation were
> gurus here I thought I would ask how to get the luatex business set
> up.
>
> My goal is to use the stuff myself of course but also to describe how
> to do it in a book I am writing on Free Publishing Software.  It does
> not appear that Luatex is suitable for a newbie to set up. Remember,
> the competition consists of programs where you download and install
> the program and font finding is automatic. I write for an impatient
> audience who want to have it all just work without a lot of
> experimentation and fuss and feathers. There does not yet seem to be a
> reliable single set of instructions for installing Luatex and setting
> it up properly.  When there is I will revisit the program.
>
> Thanks for helping and sorry to have wasted your time.
A bit off topic:
you can consider minimals & metatex.tex with mkiv (hence not texlive);
it should build a (sort of) plain tex with luatex .

See
tex/context/base/metatex.tex
but a bit of experience is required, I believe.

--
luigi

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-21 22:37         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-21 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-09-21 22:27         ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-09-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well I have been typesetting books in plain tex and pdftex for a
> decade or more. Supposedly luatex is a superset of pdftex that makes
> finding fonts easier and eliminates the generation of tmf files.

  Not if you use plain TeX.  Unlike XeTeX, LuaTeX cannot find or use any
more fonts than pdfTeX does.  You need additional macros, that are
present in ConTeXt, but in neither LaTeX nor (obviously) plain TeX.  You
can, though, use the luaotfload package with LuaLaTeX as well as (I
think) plain LuaTeX, but Khaled should be able to tell you more about
that.

	Arthur

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-21 22:17       ` John Culleton
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: John Culleton @ 2010-09-21 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-09-21 21:43     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-09-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-09-21 21:34     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 05:27:22PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> On Friday 10 September 2010 15:54:00 Peter Schorsch wrote:
> > You can list all local availble fonts with:
> >
> > mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
> >
> > More details under: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
> >

> Tried all that on a fresh install of texlive 2010. Here are the
> results, or lack thereof:
> bash-3.1$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
> MTXrun | unknown script 'fonts.lua' or 'mtx-fonts.lua'
> bash-3.1$ export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts"
> bash-3.1$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all
> MTXrun | unknown script 'fonts.lua' or 'mtx-fonts.lua'
> bash-3.1$ mtxrun --script fonts --reload
> MTXrun | unknown script 'fonts.lua' or 'mtx-fonts.lua'
> bash-3.1$ context --generate
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
> bash-3.1$ set
> OSFONTDIR='/usr/local/share/fonts;/home/safe/.fonts'
> Any hints? At the moment I am looking to use just plain Luatex. I can
> only handle one set of confusing things at a time :<)

Try to run luatools --generate first to generate/update file database.
Also, if you are only interested in plain, you may try luatotfload and
brothers.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-21 21:27   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2010-09-21 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-09-10 23:03       ` Peter Schorsch
From: Peter Schorsch @ 2010-09-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have to agree to Andreas... i just updated to the actual beta (for the
math examples). Now mtxrun answers with following statement:

...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-otp.lua:512: attempt to call
field 'register' (a nil value)

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-10 21:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-10 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-9-2010 10:57, Andreas Harder wrote:
> mtxrun --script fonts --list –all

what if you add

--pattern=*

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-10 20:57   ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2010-09-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.09.2010 um 21:54 schrieb Peter Schorsch:

> You can list all local availble fonts with:
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list –all

But this is broken with the latest beta. At least for me (OS X 10.6.4).

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-10 19:54 ` Peter Schorsch
From: Peter Schorsch @ 2010-09-10 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Is there a list of the standard fonts to use? I found:
>   serif
>   regular
>   roman
>   sans
>   support
>   sansserif
>   mono
>   type
>   teletype
>   handwritten
>   cmr
>   mm
>   rm
>
> But none of them I find very pleasing. (And handwritten looks
> different as the name suggest.) How can I find out which fonts I can
> use?

* Re: Fonts
@ 2010-09-10 14:50 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.09.2010 um 10:11 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Is there a list of the standard fonts to use? I found:
>
> [...]
>
> But none of them I find very pleasing. (And handwritten looks
> different as the name suggest.) How can I find out which fonts I can
> use?

With your list you can only switch to a different style of a typeface
but to get a different font you need e.g. \setupbodyfont[palatino].

This is a (uncomplete) list of the predefined typefaces in context,
to switch to one of them you have to take the name after the bullet
and load it with \setupbodyfont:

Note: all names in the same line are synonyms for the same typeface

Latin Modern
------------

• modern
• modern-base
• modernvariable, modern-variable
• modernvariablelight, modern-variable-light
• modern-mono
• modern-base-mono

TeX Gyre
--------

• times, termes
• palatino, pagella
• schoolbook, schola
• bookman, bonum
• chancery, chorus
• helvetica, heros
• avantgarde, adventor
• courier, cursor

Antykwa Torunska
----------------

• antykwa-torunska
• antykwa-torunska-light
• antykwa-torunska-cond
• antykwa-torunska-lightcond

Antykwa Poltawskiego
--------------------

• antykwa-poltawskiego
• antykwa-poltawskiego-light

Iwona
-----

• iwona
• iwona-light
• iwona-heavy
• iwona-medium

Mathtimes (commercial)
---------

• mathtimes

Lucida (commercial)
------

• lucida

Asana Math
----------

• asana

Cambria (commercial)
-------

• cambria
• cambria-m
• cambria-a
• cambria-x,cambria-y

Microsoft core fonts (Times + Arial + Courier)
--------------------

• mscore

Libaration
----------

• liberation

Linux Libertine
---------------

• libertine

Postscript fonts (like mscore but with texgyre fonts)
----------------

• postscript

Euler
-----

• pagella-euler
• euler

Stix
----

• stix

Xits (stix with opentype math)
----

• xits

Punk
----

• punknova

Helvetica Math (commercial)
--------------

• hvmath

DejaVu

• dejavu

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

* Fonts
@ 2010-09-10  8:11 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-09-10  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a list of the standard fonts to use? I found:
  serif
  regular
  roman
  sans
  support
  sansserif
  mono
  type
  teletype
  handwritten
  cmr
  mm
  rm

But none of them I find very pleasing. (And handwritten looks
different as the name suggest.) How can I find out which fonts I can
use?

--
Cecil Westerhof
M CLDWesterhof@gmail.com

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.
Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

* Re: fonts
@ 2009-09-18 12:25   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2009-09-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the hint.  uplr8... are Palatino fonts, and I have palatino
as the math-font in my typescript.
Copying them from the mac to the linux setup (where they have gone? with
an update? -- my Mac version is old!) did the trick.

Thanks again, Jörg

luigi scarso wrote:
>> !pdfTeX error: pdftex (file uplr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
>> readi
>> ng
>> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>> TeXExec | runtime: 2.115894
>>

> What is uplr8a.pfb ?
> Is it on your fontpath ?

* Re: fonts
@ 2009-09-18 11:58 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-18 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> !pdfTeX error: pdftex (file uplr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
> readi
> ng
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> TeXExec | runtime: 2.115894

What is uplr8a.pfb ?
Is it on your fontpath ?
--
luigi

* fonts
@ 2009-09-18 11:52 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2009-09-18 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The fonts (linlibertine and gentium) I installed (and which worked) on
my ubuntu minimals don't work any more. I can't see any difference
between the appropriate files on my mac (where they work) and the linux
machine. Maybe somebody can point out the problem based on the message
below -- I would prefer not to get reacquainted with the font mess (no
time).
I updated the minimals and remade formats. I am using mkII.

The message is:

systems         : end file pdfs at line 72
system          : cont-err loaded
(/home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
)
){/home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/base/8r.enc}{/home/tetrao
/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-ec.enc}{/home/tetrao/newcontext/tex
/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/base/texnansi.enc}</home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf-loc
al/fonts/truetype/public/libertine/libertine-It.ttf>

pdfTeX warning: pdftex: no GlyphToUnicode entry has been inserted yet!
</home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/public/libertine/libert
ine-Bd.ttf></home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/public/liber
tine/libertine-Re.ttf></home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf-local/fonts/type1/publ
ic/cb/grmn1000.pfb></home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr
o10.pfb></home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/pxfonts/pxsy.pfb>
</home/tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/pxfonts/rpxmi.pfb></home/
tetrao/newcontext/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/pxfonts/rpxr.pfb>
!pdfTeX error: pdftex (file uplr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file
for readi
ng
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
TeXExec | runtime: 2.115894

Thanks, Jörg

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-20 22:15             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-20 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> I'm thinking about utilizing border fonts and how to make automatic
> frames for use with \framed (I guess that's still too hard for me,
> but let's see...)

think backgrounds and leaders:

\def\Border#1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8%
  {\vbox to \overlayheight \bgroup
     \offinterlineskip
     \setbox0=\hbox to \overlaywidth \bgroup
        #1\cleaders\hbox{#2}\hfill#3%
     \egroup
     \setbox2=\hbox to \overlaywidth \bgroup
        #5\cleaders\hbox{#6}\hfill#7%
     \egroup
     \scratchdimen\dimexpr\overlayheight-2\ht0\relax
     \setbox4=\vbox to \scratchdimen \bgroup
        \cleaders\hbox{#8}\vfill
     \egroup
     \setbox6=\vbox to \scratchdimen \bgroup
        \cleaders\hbox{#4}\vfill
     \egroup
     \box0
     \hbox to \overlaywidth{\box4\hfill\box6}%
     \box2
   \egroup}

\def\FakeChar#1{\framed[width=.5cm,height=.5cm,offset=overlay]{#1}}

\defineoverlay
  [border]
  [\Border
    {\FakeChar{\tx LT}}
    {\FakeChar{t}}
    {\FakeChar{\tx RT}}
    {\FakeChar{r}}
    {\FakeChar{\tx RB}}
    {\FakeChar{b}}
    {\FakeChar{\tx LB}}
    {\FakeChar{l}}]

\starttext

\framed[width=4cm,height=3cm,background=border]{}

\stoptext

if needed i can add something like Border to supp-fun or so ...

probably some scaling is involved as well

Hans

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-20 21:24           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2005-12-19 um 09:06 schrieb Joachim Trinkwitz:

> What about Apostrophic Labs' very nice "Hard Talk" (http://
> www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=hard_talk) and "Maskalin" (http://
> www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=maskalin), Font Environment's "20
> Faces" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=20faces) and "Tattoo
> No1 + No2" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=tattoo_no1_no2),
> or Manfred Klein's "Celtish Parts" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
> designers/klein05/pic06/celtish_parts.htm) and "Roots of
> Matisse" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/
> Fonteria_CD/pages/roots.htm)?
>
> On both websites there is a wealth of free typefaces, in particular
> Klein's site has an overwhelming abundance, which takes days to
> explore - even nice are his textfonts "Faustant" (http://
> moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/text/faustant.htm) and
> "FaustItalic" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/
> text/faustitalic.htm), "UglyQua" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
> designers/klein04/text02/uglyqua.htm) and "Old Typefaces" (http://
> moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein05/text/old_typefaces.htm).
>
> joachim
>
> PS: OK, I just noticed that Hraban already has done Hard Talk -
> thanks a lot!

Thank you for the links, I'll look into it.
(But I don't think I'll do the masks/faces, I can't imagine any use
for them. Or do you need them?)
BTW the pirate stuff by Klein is nice, I guess that'll make a
package, arr matey!

I'm thinking about utilizing border fonts and how to make automatic
frames for use with \framed (I guess that's still too hard for me,
but let's see...)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-19  9:56           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-19  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:

> Am 08.12.2005 um 19:01 schrieb Adam Lindsay:
>
>> Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to prepare some more symbol fonts - any requests?
>>> (I always like to do nice font stuff while I should something  more
>>> important... ;-))
>>

>> What, you too?
>

> What about Apostrophic Labs' very nice "Hard Talk" (http://
> www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=hard_talk) and "Maskalin" (http://
> www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=maskalin), Font Environment's "20
> Faces" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=20faces) and "Tattoo
> No1 + No2" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=tattoo_no1_no2),
> or Manfred Klein's "Celtish Parts" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
> designers/klein05/pic06/celtish_parts.htm) and "Roots of  Matisse"
> (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/Fonteria_CD/
> pages/roots.htm)?
>
> On both websites there is a wealth of free typefaces, in particular
> Klein's site has an overwhelming abundance, which takes days to
> explore - even nice are his textfonts "Faustant" (http://
> moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/text/faustant.htm) and
> "FaustItalic" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/text/
> faustitalic.htm), "UglyQua" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
> designers/klein04/text02/uglyqua.htm) and "Old Typefaces" (http://
> moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein05/text/old_typefaces.htm).
>
> joachim
>
> PS: OK, I just noticed that Hraban already has done Hard Talk -
> thanks a lot!

There is a user group font cd project going on (planned launch eurotex
2006). Any input/help is welcome.

http://fontcd.gust.org.pl/FrontPage

you can add links to free fonts there (on the links page)

- we need to make sure that they may be redistributed by user groups
- we need metrics and such

Hans

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-19  8:06         ` Joachim Trinkwitz
From: Joachim Trinkwitz @ 2005-12-19  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.12.2005 um 19:01 schrieb Adam Lindsay:

> Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> I'd like to prepare some more symbol fonts - any requests?
>> (I always like to do nice font stuff while I should something
>> more  important... ;-))
>
> What, you too?

What about Apostrophic Labs' very nice "Hard Talk" (http://
www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=hard_talk) and "Maskalin" (http://
www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=maskalin), Font Environment's "20
Faces" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=20faces) and "Tattoo
No1 + No2" (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=tattoo_no1_no2),
or Manfred Klein's "Celtish Parts" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
designers/klein05/pic06/celtish_parts.htm) and "Roots of
Matisse" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/Fonteria_CD/
pages/roots.htm)?

On both websites there is a wealth of free typefaces, in particular
Klein's site has an overwhelming abundance, which takes days to
explore - even nice are his textfonts "Faustant" (http://
moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/text/faustant.htm) and
"FaustItalic" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein04/text/
faustitalic.htm), "UglyQua" (http://moorstation.org/typoasis/
designers/klein04/text02/uglyqua.htm) and "Old Typefaces" (http://
moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein05/text/old_typefaces.htm).

joachim

PS: OK, I just noticed that Hraban already has done Hard Talk -
thanks a lot!

--
Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr@uni-bonn.de
Germanistisches Seminar   Tel.: 0228-737565

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-12 18:55     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2005-12-12 um 12:02 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> > Warning: pdfetex (file qx-bitstream-vera.map): cannot open font
> map file
> > and then complaints about not being able to create a long list of
> > bitmap fonts,�when I try to compile your vera-test.tex.
>
> do you need qx? (eastern european languages)
>
> Yes, the maps should be contained, I simply forgot to include them.
> Will fix that tonight.
> And I decided to provide everything for ec, texnansi, tex256 and qx
> encoding.

Ok, this is fixed now.
I just uploaded some more fonts; I guess I should add better
information about contained variants and a nice preview...

http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2005-12-12 14:40       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-12 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Yes, the maps should be contained, I simply forgot to include them. Will
> > fix that tonight.
> > And I decided to provide everything for ec, texnansi, tex256 and qx
> > encoding.
>
> What's the functional difference between ec and tex256? What good is it
> to generate both?

There doesn't seem to be a functional difference between ec and tex256,
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Encodings_and_Regimes states only that tex256
uses Adobe character names, and I thought it would be nice, but didn't
really think much... ;-)

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-12 12:44     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-12-12 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>      > Warning: pdfetex (file qx-bitstream-vera.map): cannot open font
>     map file
>      > and then complaints about not being able to create a long list of
>      > bitmap fonts,�when I try to compile your vera-test.tex.
>
>     do you need qx? (eastern european languages)
>

> Yes, the maps should be contained, I simply forgot to include them. Will
> fix that tonight.
> And I decided to provide everything for ec, texnansi, tex256 and qx
> encoding.

What's the functional difference between ec and tex256? What good is it
to generate both?

adam
  Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
  Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
  Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-12 11:02   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-12 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-12 10:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-12 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-10 19:23               ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-12-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/10/05, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> [fonts by Apostrophe Lab]
> > http://www.dafont.com/en/author.php?author=128
>
> I'm finally updating my typescripts and font packages for ConTeXt, see
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en

Just checked:

$ unzip -l /tmp/apostrophe-avondale.zip  | grep map
$ unzip -l /tmp/apostrophe-covington.zip | grep map

=> Nothing. No map file in your zip ?

Thanks,
--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* fonts
@ 2005-12-10 18:14 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2005-12-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban—

 > I'm finally updating my typescripts and font packages for ConTeXt,
see
 > http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en

Should the apostrophe-steinem and the bitstream-vera files include
map files (apostrophe-steinem.map, bitstream-vera.map) too?

I  get

@ 2005-12-10 13:32             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-09 22:51             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-09 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2005-12-09 um 00:08 schrieb Adam Lindsay:
>> (or do you know a link of Apostrophe  Lab?).
> I've found most of them on DAFont:
> http://www.dafont.com/en/author.php?author=128

Ah, thank you!
Would be a real pity if they would've been lost.

BTW I just made a symbol set for HardTalk:
http://www.dafont.com/en/author.php?author=128&page=5
I won't post it here (there may be Apuricans on this list)...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2005-12-08 23:10             ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2005-12-08 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 8, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Adam Lindsay wrote:

>  tessellating Arabesque borders lately,

I think the Patriot Act bans that in the US.

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-08 23:08           ` Adam Lindsay
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-12-08 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2005-12-08 um 19:01 schrieb Adam Lindsay:
>
>>> I'd like to prepare some more symbol fonts - any requests?
>>> (I always like to do nice font stuff while I should something  more
>>> important... ;-))
>>

>> What, you too?
>> There's this, probably this month only, as well:
>>  http://www.p22.com/free/snow.html
>

> Hm, thanks for the link, but I don't find this font very interesting.
> Do you?

Hrm. Not normally, but as I've been tessellating Arabesque borders
lately, the snow font did appeal to me on that level.

@ 2005-12-08 22:02         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-08 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-08 18:01       ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-12-08 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-08 17:17     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-08  8:39   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-08  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-07 20:09 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: dingbest.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 3110 bytes --]

@ 2005-12-07 17:09     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-12-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, thanks. But AFAICS, there's only regular roman for free, so I
doubt that it would be very useful.

Thomas

On Dec 7, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> free FF Meta Pro Book

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-07 14:47   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try this link:

    http://www.fontshop.com/freefonts

(free FF Meta Pro Book)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> hmm, link doesn't work, can you elaborate?
>
> Thomas
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:55 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>This one could be a nice testcase / installation exercise
>>
>>  features/free.cfm?utm_source=ff37&utm_medium=email
>>
>>Hans

* Re: fonts
@ 2005-12-07 14:41 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-12-07 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, link doesn't work, can you elaborate?

Thomas
On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:55 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This one could be a nice testcase / installation exercise
>
>   http://www.fontshop.com/features/free.cfm?utm_source=ff37&utm_medium=email
>
> Hans

* fonts
@ 2005-12-07 13:55 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-07 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2002-02-25 13:19     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-25 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:55 PM 2/24/2002 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Thankyou Bill for your remarks!
>
> > Your typescript file is shown elsewhere as
> > "type-fgtimes".
>
> > Then, your job should say "\setupbodyfont[MyTimes]"
>
>Anyway, it proves that even if I do my best, start at it well rested, take
>three cups of coffee and work with my clearest mind I'm still way too foggy
>and stupid (relatively speaking) to play with the pro's and I have now
>totally given up.
>
>Never mind, I must be good at other things. This feeling utterly, utterly
>dumb and sad with failure will wear off, I know that by experience.

hm, as soon as you feel less sad and dumb, take the train and let me see
what mess you've made of you laptop (this week i'm to busy, end of next
week or so)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 21:34 ` W. Egger
From: W. Egger @ 2002-02-24 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Frans,

> %% a file called testtim.tex with this in it:
> \steluitvoerin[pdftex]
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-times]
> \usetypescript[Times]
>
> \starttekst
>
> Dit is Times roman, {\bf bold}, {\it italic}, {\bi bold-italic},
> {\tfa groter} en {\tfx kleiner}
>
> \stoptekst
> %% end of testtim.tex

In your tex source you should setup the bodyfont:

\setupbodyfont[Mytimes, 12pt]

> %% start of type-fgtimes.tex
>    \definefilesynonym [Times-Roman]         [tnr2]   [encoding=texnansi]
\ ...
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [times]  [name]
>    \definefilesynonym [Serif][Times-Roman]
\ ...
> \stoptypescript

I believe, that you mean \definefontsynonym ....

Success Willi

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 20:55   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-24 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thankyou Bill for your remarks!

> Your typescript file is shown elsewhere as
> "type-fgtimes".

> Then, your job should say "\setupbodyfont[MyTimes]"

Anyway, it proves that even if I do my best, start at it well rested, take
three cups of coffee and work with my clearest mind I'm still way too foggy
and stupid (relatively speaking) to play with the pro's and I have now
totally given up.

Never mind, I must be good at other things. This feeling utterly, utterly
dumb and sad with failure will wear off, I know that by experience.

Groet!

Frans

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 20:49   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Just to be sure: c:/tmp and c:\temp are actually the same directory?

Yes that was a typo on my behalf, it's c:/tmp and the perl program neatly
copied the afm's and pfb's but in between all those actions there were
plenty of error messages also flashing over my screen...

> Is there some special procedure for
> running perl programs on Windows?

I've never had problems with perl before... Maybe Hans can explain.

> Is the c:\TeXLive directory somehow write-protected
> or owned by another user?

No this laptop is just Windows98 without any fancy security.

> Do you get the same errors if you use
> "--fontroot=(some private directory)", say
> "texmf" in your home directory?

I tried it in the same test directory where the batchfile is, same amount of
errors.

Never mind, at least I can say I did try it honestly myself. I'll use
Computer Modern for the time being and I've asked a TeX friend with more
experience than I have to see if he can have a go at it which he probably
will.

Groet!

Frans

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 20:37 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-24 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I moved on to texfont.pl and did this:
>
> perl
> c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\context\perltk\texfont.pl --fontroot=c:/TeXLive/texmf-v
> ar --sourcepath=c:/tmp --vendor=adobe --collection=times --makepath --instal
>
> first, I made sure the afm/pfb files were in c:\temp

Just to be sure: c:/tmp and c:\temp are actually the same directory?

> I got very many "bad command or file name" errors, for instance after
> "extending map file:
> c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\pdftex\config\texnansi-adobe-times.map

I can't help much with a MS Windows platform. What happens when you type
"c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\context\perltk\texfont.pl --help"? Is there some
special procedure for running perl programs on Windows?

Is the c:\TeXLive directory somehow write-protected or owned by another
user?

Do you get the same errors if you use "--fontroot=(some private
directory)", say "texmf" in your home directory?

-Bill

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 20:29 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Encouraged by the example on the help-page I moved on and tried this, but
> the only thing coming out was Computer Modern. I took the Times lines from
> my previous (working) setup where the font definitions were spread over
> files like font-fg.tex and fg.map
>
> I'll move on in the help pages, now on to the texfont.pl explanations. Maybe
> those will kickstart my setup...
>
> regards, Frans
>
> %% a file called testtim.tex with this in it:
> \steluitvoerin[pdftex]
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-times]

Your typescript file is shown elsewhere as "type-fgtimes". That is what
you should use in the line above.

Then, your job should say "\setupbodyfont[MyTimes]". (That's the English
command, at least).

-Bill

* fonts
@ 2002-02-24 18:48 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-24 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I moved on to texfont.pl and did this:

perl
c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\context\perltk\texfont.pl --fontroot=c:/TeXLive/texmf-v
ar --sourcepath=c:/tmp --vendor=adobe --collection=times --makepath --instal

first, I made sure the afm/pfb files were in c:\temp

I got very many "bad command or file name" errors, for instance after
"extending map file:
c:\TeXLive\texmf-var\pdftex\config\texnansi-adobe-times.map

and I got a .tex file called texnansi-adobe-times.tex which gave very many
errors. I can post the log file here but I wa sunable to "caprure" the many
errors in the results of texfont.pl. There was no log file written and if I
did >0.log than this file was 0 bytes long.

Well, I at least qualified for trying it myself first. Now I'm done.

Regards!

Frans

* fonts
@ 2002-02-24 18:19 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-24 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Encouraged by the example on the help-page I moved on and tried this, but
the only thing coming out was Computer Modern. I took the Times lines from
my previous (working) setup where the font definitions were spread over
files like font-fg.tex and fg.map

I'll move on in the help pages, now on to the texfont.pl explanations. Maybe
those will kickstart my setup...

regards, Frans

%% a file called testtim.tex with this in it:
\steluitvoerin[pdftex]

\usetypescriptfile[type-times]
\usetypescript[Times]

\starttekst

Dit is Times roman, {\bf bold}, {\it italic}, {\bi bold-italic},
{\tfa groter} en {\tfx kleiner}

\stoptekst
%% end of testtim.tex

%% start of type-fgtimes.tex
\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [times]  [texnansi]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefilesynonym [Times-Roman]         [tnr2]   [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefilesynonym [Times-Italic]        [tnri2]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefilesynonym [Times-Bold]          [tnrb2]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefilesynonym [Times-BoldItalic]    [tnrbi2] [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefilesynonym [Times-RomanSC]       [tnrexp2]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [times]  [name]
   \definefilesynonym [Serif][Times-Roman]
   \definefilesynonym [SerifBold][Times-Bold]
   \definefilesynonym [SerifItalic][Times-Italic]
   \definefilesynonym [SerifBoldItalic][Times-BoldItalic]
   \definefilesynonym [SerifSC][Times-RomanSC]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Times]
  \definetypeface [MyTimes] [rm] [serif] [times] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

%% end of type-fgtimes.tex

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-01-25  9:37       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-01-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: angerweit, ntg-context

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:23:30 +0100
"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> [i wonder, are we the only ones using those fonts; must be a pretty old bug]

Perhaps you are the only ones trying to install these fonts under Win32? ;)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-01-25  9:30 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:37 AM 1/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:23:30 +0100
>"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > [i wonder, are we the only ones using those fonts; must be a pretty old
> bug]
>
>Perhaps you are the only ones trying to install these fonts under Win32? ;)

then i wonder, how will mac users be affected bij the lf -> cr differences
between <10 and osX

@ 2002-01-24 16:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:00 PM 1/22/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Dienstag 22 Januar 2002 11:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > [forwarded, please use an address known to the list]
>
>I hope I got the right one now... (very uncomfortable this way!)
>
> > >BTW: Is it "normal" that afm2tfm tends to crash on Win(NT)?
> > not that i know
>
>I catched the error: The font that I tried to install was made with
>Fontographer on a Mac, and the AFM had Mac-linefeeds.
>Corrected it with a little bit of Perl, and installing works... (But I needed
>a couple of hours to find this.)

guess what, i ran into the same error, with an univers from linotype, pc
version

[thanks to your debugging it took me less than a minute to fix 'm]

@ 2002-01-23  8:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-23  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:00 PM 1/22/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>-- Runtime loading of fontmaps seems to have no effect -- pdftex finds fonts
>only if the map is in pdftex.cfg

are you sure that you have

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

set?

>-- \definetypeface with 6 parameters works, but not the definition via
>"nested" typescripts -- it ends up with "TeX capacity exceeded" after a long
>list of messages, that look like a recursion.
>
>I'll test it more accurately tomorrow (left my laptop at work).

ok, normally recursion should not occur (never encountered that so far) so
i'm curious,

@ 2002-01-22 19:00   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-01-22 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag 22 Januar 2002 11:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> [forwarded, please use an address known to the list]

I hope I got the right one now... (very uncomfortable this way!)

> >BTW: Is it "normal" that afm2tfm tends to crash on Win(NT)?
> not that i know

I catched the error: The font that I tried to install was made with
Fontographer on a Mac, and the AFM had Mac-linefeeds.
Corrected it with a little bit of Perl, and installing works... (But I needed
a couple of hours to find this.)

Today I was tinkering around with another font installation. I've the
impression that the typescript concept doesn't work like it should:

(TeX Live 6 with pdfeTeX 1.0 unofficial, latest beta of ConTeXt, WinNT 4)

-- Runtime loading of fontmaps seems to have no effect -- pdftex finds fonts
only if the map is in pdftex.cfg

-- \definetypeface with 6 parameters works, but not the definition via
"nested" typescripts -- it ends up with "TeX capacity exceeded" after a long
list of messages, that look like a recursion.

I'll test it more accurately tomorrow (left my laptop at work).

Greetlings from the Hraban! ;-)

* fonts
       [not found] <200201211912.UAA01593@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-22 10:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-22 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <200201161954.UAA10086@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-19 22:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-19 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[forwarded]

       [not found] <200201161847.TAA09341@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-19 22:50 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-19 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

forwarded

@ 2000-11-24  8:13 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

There is a macro qualified as experimental called "\switchstyleonly" that
can be used like:

  \bf \switchstyleonly\ss

where \ss is an argument to \switchstyleonly. This macro is defined in
font-ini

However, the following alternative is more comnforming the interface

\unprotect

\definecomplexorsimple\switchstyleonly

\def\simpleswitchstyleonly#1%
  {\complexswitchstyleonly[\strippedcsname#1]}

\def\complexswitchstyleonly[#1]% final version
  {\let\savedfontalternative=\fontalternative
   \getvalue{\getvalue{\@shortstyle@#1}}%
   \getvalue{\savedfontalternative}}

\protect

You can put this in cont-new.tex and use it as:

{\bf text \switchstyleonly\ss text}            % dirty but [] save
{\bf text \switchstyleonly[ss]text}
{\sl text \switchstyleonly[sansserif]text}

This may solve the problems with switching to ss in bold discussed earlier.
I must admit that i never used it and had forgotten about this command -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: fonts
@ 2000-06-19 13:14 ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-06-19 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> You should add the lines:

These lines existed already, but...

> to a file calles pdftex.map or whatever.map,
> and add
>   +map whatever.map
> to pdftex.cfg.

this was a good hint:
The problem was a missing "+" #-/
-> On installation I added "map context.map"
to the file, and I think, that was
overwriting the "pdftex.map"-mapping,
leaving nothing...
Adding the "+" to "map" solved everything,
i.e. the font problem.

--

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

---

http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/

http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html

* re: fonts
@ 2000-06-11 23:24 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-11 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:58 PM 6/10/2000 +0200, you wrote:

>Sorry, I must further go on your nerves...

No nerves left anyway -)

>Now I've \setupbodyfont[ber,pos,ppl,10pt] in my test document.
>pdfetex claims "Font pplr8r" not found", that must be a Palatino-

>Does it make sense to change it in some of this map files?
>(Sorry, I don't understand what these file really do --
>I thought, ConTeXt wouldn't use dvips if output is pdf.)

but pdftex needs map files too

>BTW: phvr8r (Helvetica?) is also not found, and if I process
>an large file (my book project), then there're just more...

You should add the lines:

pplb8r  Palatino-Bold                          <pplb8a.pfb  8r.enc
pplbi8r Palatino-BoldItalic                    <pplbi8a.pfb 8r.enc
pplbo8r Palatino-Bold ".167 SlantFont"         <pplb8a.pfb  8r.enc
pplbu8r Palatino-BoldItalic "-.1763 SlantFont" <pplb8a.pfb  8r.enc
pplr8r  Palatino-Roman                         <pplr8a.pfb  8r.enc
pplri8r Palatino-Italic                        <pplri8a.pfb 8r.enc
pplro8r Palatino-Roman  ".167 SlantFont"       <pplr8a.pfb  8r.enc
pplru8r Palatino-Italic " -.1763 SlantFont"    <pplr8a.pfb  8r.enc

to a file calles pdftex.map or whatever.map,

and add

  +map whatever.map

to pdftex.cfg.

The map files go into pdftex/config

[more on this in the pdftex manual at our site]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* fonts
@ 2000-02-15 19:22 pragma
From: pragma @ 2000-02-15 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Somehow I cannot duplicate the \SS problem here. I uploaded a
new version which has the {} added and a few bugs fixed (that
probably went unnoticed -).

When I'm back, I'll look into the details (like extensions
needed for the math module).

Hans