From: Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: reference formatting
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:04:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jun 22, 2006, at 23:13, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> With \definereferenceformat[pin][left=(,right=)] it is possible to
>> typeset
>> references with
>> 	\pin[ref] and get "(ref)"
>>
>> I have two questions in this respect:
>>
>> 1. is it possible to change the general setup in the same way,
>> 	e.g. let \in[ref] do the same as \pin[ref] here.
>> 	The left and right are not in setupreferencing.

I finally came up with this, a bit of a kludge I admit:
\let\originalin=\in
\definereferenceformat[parenthesizedin][left=(,right=),command=
\originalin]
\let\in=\parenthesizedin

> Don't know about this.
>
>> 2. some strange interchange takes place when using \pin{A}{B}[ref].
>> 	Instead of the expected "A (ref) B" one gets "A (refB);
>> 	it therefore seems the right parenthesis from the setup comes too
>> late in play.
>
> As I understand referencing, this is the expected behaviour. I think
> that \in{..}{..}[...] was for things like
>
> As seen in \in{Figure}{a}[fig]...
>
> that is when you want to refer to a subfigure (or a subformula).
> That is
> why there is no space between the number and the content in the second
> {..}

I has not understood it that way, but thought it was meant to enclose
the whole reference. I see the point now.

Hans van der Meer