* Framing a linetable?
@ 2007-07-24  8:00 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-24  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello all,

is it possible to put a frame around a linetable?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Framing a linetable?
@ 2007-07-24 10:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-07-24 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> is it possible to put a frame around a linetable?

you mean the whole table?

probably a matter of hooks; linetables work page-wise which may
complicate things a bit so it has to be applied piecewise

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Framing a linetable?
@ 2007-07-24 15:52   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> is it possible to put a frame around a linetable?

> you mean the whole table?

> probably a matter of hooks; linetables work page-wise which may
> complicate things a bit so it has to be applied piecewise

Yeah, that would be the idea. For the time being I cheated
because I know how big the table actually is when it's
finished (it doesn't split), so I place a layer under it
with the appropriate dimensions. But it would be nice to
have hooks to do it automatically.

The obvious problem is that the frame structure could be
different depending on whether the table splits or not, and
this could be a mess to specify ...

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Framing a linetable?
@ 2007-07-28 11:44   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> is it possible to put a frame around a linetable?

> you mean the whole table?

> probably a matter of hooks; linetables work page-wise which may
> complicate things a bit so it has to be applied piecewise

I've been experimenting with this a little.

Putting the whole linetable inside a frame doesn't work
because of the \nointerlinelineskip in

\ifdim\topskipgap=\zeropoint\else¶
  \verticalstrut\nobreak\kern-\struttotal\kern-\parskip\nobreak\nointerlineskip % fix topskip¶
\fi¶

in \flushlinetableparts -- if I comment out this section of
the code, the table gets placed, but the frame is somewhat
short.

This is in fact a bug in linetables which I noticed before,
even though it didn't affect me until recently: if the last
line in a table is a \vtop (\linetablemode is 0) with more
than one line of text, the flattening of its depth in
\flushlinetableparts

\dp\tablebox\linetablepart\strutdepth

causes the text after the table to appear *in* the table
itself.

So I commented out the depth smashing, and the frame now has
the correct size.

There is one more thing missing, though, and it's the fact
that the table is typeset halfway to the right of the frame,
as if a large indentation was placed before each line. If I
manage to squeeze out this last bug, I can frame the table
automatically which will be a great advantage for me.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta