* mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-22 18:08 Hans van der Meer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-12-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST

A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve, because
it does not occur on his system. My system is Apple Macintosh 10.5.6
and I am using the command "sh build.sh" to compile metapost-1.101.

After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error
message below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of
the distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the wrong
number of bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps? Taco has not
found it and as his compile now runs "lint-free" it is difficult to
imagine what can be wrong.
Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find the
same thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers than I
am?

Many thanks in advance.
Hans van der Meer

This says the logfile of the mpost run, the programcode involved is
from source file tfmin.w:

This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
**mpman
(/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/metapost/base/boxes.mp)
! Font cmr10 not usable: TFM file is bad.
_s->...oup.addto._p.also(EXPR2)infont(EXPR3)scaled

(EXPR4)shifted((EXPR5),(EX...
<argument> ..._n0="cmr10";_s("Figures",_n0,1,0,0,)
                                                  ;_s
("in",_n0,1,35.3674,0,)...

beginbox_->...UFFIX2):=nullpicture;for._p_=(TEXT3)
                                                  :pic_
(SUFFIX2):=if.picture...

boxit->..."boxpath_","sizebox_",(SUFFIX2),(TEXT3))
                                                  ;generic_declare
(pair)_n.s...
l.26 ....aa(btex \place{Figures in MetaPost} etex)
                                                  ;

* Re: mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-22 19:52 ` Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-22 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST
>
> A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve, because it
> does not occur on his system. My system is Apple Macintosh 10.5.6 and I am
> using the command "sh build.sh" to compile metapost-1.101.
>
> After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error message
> below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of the distribution.
> It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the wrong number of bytes is read.
> Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps? Taco has not found it and as his compile now
> runs "lint-free" it is difficult to imagine what can be wrong.
> Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find the same
> thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers than I am?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Hans van der Meer
>

> This says the logfile of the mpost run, the programcode involved is from
> source file tfmin.w:
>
> This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
> 2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
> **mpman

Why is mpost 1.101 being used? The minimals have 1.110, so the sources
should be more recent. Could the error be due to something wrong in the
$PATH?

Aditya

* Re: mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-22 20:52   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-12-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 dec 2008, at 20:52, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST
>>
>> A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve,
>> because it does not occur on his system. My system is Apple
>> Macintosh 10.5.6 and I am using the command "sh build.sh" to
>> compile metapost-1.101.
>>
>> After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error
>> message below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of
>> the distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the
>> wrong number of bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps?
>> Taco has not found it and as his compile now runs "lint-free" it is
>> difficult to imagine what can be wrong.
>> Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find
>> the same thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers
>> than I am?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>> Hans van der Meer
>>

>> This says the logfile of the mpost run, the programcode involved is
>> from source file tfmin.w:
>>
>> This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
>> 2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
>> **mpman
>
> Why is mpost 1.101 being used? The minimals have 1.110, so the
> sources should be more recent. Could the error be due to something
> wrong in the $PATH?
>
> Aditya

The answer is: I took the latest stable version dated december 11,
2008 from http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/ and that says
1.101. I do not work with minimals and I avoid beta's too. But the
version I tried above came from branch/1.1 in the svn repository and
was tried because Taco requested it in relation to the above problem.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-22 21:20   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>> This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
>> 2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
>> **mpman
>
> Why is mpost 1.101 being used? The minimals have 1.110, so the sources
> should be more recent.

Metapost 1.101 is the stable version, and this bug should be fixed
(and besides that I expect 1.110 to have exactly the same problem).
The issue is that I cannot do any debugging on it, because I have
no OsX.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-22 21:51 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-12-22 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>wrote:

> NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST
>
> A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve, because it
> does not occur on his system. My system is Apple Macintosh 10.5.6 and I am
> using the command "sh build.sh" to compile metapost-1.101.
>
> After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error message
> below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of the
> distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the wrong number of
> bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps? Taco has not found it and as
> his compile now runs "lint-free" it is difficult to imagine what can be
> wrong.
> Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find the same
> thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers than I am?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Hans van der Meer

I'm not able to reproduce this problem in my linux box with texlive 2008

Here is  my steps

1) downloaded metapost-1.101-src.tar.bz2 and compiled with ./build.sh :
OK

2) copied mpost to texlive2008 standard bin directory,
(in my case  texlive/2008/bin/i386-linux)
activated texlive2008
(cd texlive/2008; . setuptex ;)
remade all format
 fmtutil --all; mktexlsr
OK

3) cd metapost-1.101/manual-test; make
OK

 7,3K 2008-12-22 22:38 grdemo-doc.pdf
 3,0K 2008-12-22 22:38 grdemo.pdf
 363K 2008-12-22 22:38 mpboxes.pdf
 457K 2008-12-22 22:38 mpgraph.pdf
 193K 2008-12-22 22:38 mpintro.pdf
 760K 2008-12-22 22:38 mpman.pdf

--
luigi

* Re: mpost finds BAD TFM
@ 2008-12-23  0:13 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-23  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST
>
> A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve, because it
> does not occur on his system. My system is Apple Macintosh 10.5.6 and I am
> using the command "sh build.sh" to compile metapost-1.101.

I compiled metapost (1.110) with the same command, replaced the old TL
binary, called mktexfmt mpost and run make inside
svn://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/metapost/tags/1.101/manual. But I
didn't get any compilation errors. Some older copies of metapost
complained about

LaTeX Warning: File `mpgraph-1.mps' not found on input line 156.

! Package graphics Error: File `mpgraph-1.mps' not found.

See the graphics package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.156 $$ \includegraphics{mpgraph-1.mps}
                                         $$

but the latest checkout was OK. However, I'm on Tiger.

Mojca

> After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error message
> below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of the
> distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the wrong number of
> bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps? Taco has not found it and as
> his compile now runs "lint-free" it is difficult to imagine what can be
> wrong.
> Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find the same
> thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers than I am?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Hans van der Meer

* Fixed: mpost finds BAD TFM
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-23 16:27 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

This turned out to be an endianness bug in the TFM reader.
You can expect mpost 1.102 tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Taco